Green Room

Photo: Diamond in the rough

posted at 11:17 pm on July 1, 2013 by

All right, I took a few suggestions and headed out this evening with the camera.  I thought a few of you might like to see at least a couple of results.  I took this one with the Av function on the Canon T2i, using AEB to get three shots two stops apart each.  I then blended them into an HDR output using Photomatix Pro — which I think I’m going to love — and exported to a small enough JPG in Lightroom, even though I could have done that straight from Photomatix.

It’s a bit different than what I shot, but I love the outcome:

diamond-greens-yellows

One more example, taken at about the same time and processed in the same manner:

sunset-road

Hope you enjoy these.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Also, just my personal opinion: don’t start moving those sliders too much. A vomit of colors does not a good image make… 🙂

Alexis on July 2, 2013 at 9:15 AM

I agree with this.

I think HDR can help in some situations, but a lot of people overdo it to the point of cliche. It’s one of those effects that I don’t particularly care for, like selective color.

Hot Gas on July 2, 2013 at 7:50 PM

One technical point, I noticed you exported your jpg with PhoPhotoRGB.

If you ever intend to make prints, you always want to use sRGB, almost without exception, or else you will get color shifts due to gamut incompatibilities:

If you use the soft-proofing capability in Lightroom with gamut warnings enabled, you will see that most of your first photo (the entire sky and a lot of the grass) is outside of the sRGB space.

Hot Gas on July 2, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Comment pages: 1 2

Top Pick

Medicare for all?

Top Pick

“There comes a point where you gotta get off the crazy train.”

Poll: Dem voters glumly sticking with Pelosi

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 8:41 PM

Disaster ahead?

“When she left it, it was in better shape than it had ever been.”

Manafort, firm registers as foreign agents

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 6:41 PM

Better late than never?

Delivered as promised

“I would like to think that the president saved many innocent men, women and children.”

“The Russia investigation was by far the dominant topic…”

The merry little media war continues.

Criminal enterprise

Politico: Has the SPLC lost its way?

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 3:01 PM

“The organization has always tried to find ways to milk money out of the public…”

Trump legal team backing away from Comey complaint?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 2:31 PM

De-escalation?

Time to get up and go to work, sir

CNN gets glum, defensive after resignations

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 1:01 PM

“If Jeff lit himself on fire, it wouldn’t appease the pro-Trump media.”

Hmmm: FBI probing Russia-based anti-virus firm?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 12:31 PM

“I wouldn’t put their stuff on my computer if you paid me.”

He works hard for the money…

It’s not a slippery slope. It’s a freaking avalanche.

Nuts.

Showdown: Sarah Palin vs the New York Times

Jazz Shaw Jun 28, 2017 9:21 AM

Defamation

Credit where creditor’s due?

More flash than bang, but a very bad sign

“Felix was out on bond after threatening another public servant and has a history of making threats.”

Chaffetz: House needs housing allowances?

Ed Morrissey Jun 27, 2017 8:41 PM

“There are dozens upon dozens of members living in their offices, and I don’t know how healthy that is long term.”

“This isn’t going to get a lot cheaper, it can’t, it won’t.”

“…what we failed to achieve with votes, we would do with weapons.”

“[S]o dumb it’s amazing we even have to have the conversation.”

“It was not necessary.”

“You’re inflaming everyone right here right now with those words!”

“Trump’s people said, ‘We’ll be writing the speech that the President’s Audio-Animatronic figure will be saying.'”

Excuses, excuses.

Not really a “kill all the lawyers” scenario

4 pm ET!

“it has not taken serious steps to end its own complicity in trafficking, including forced laborers from North Korea.”