Video: NFL player charged with murder
posted at 5:30 pm on June 26, 2013 by Ed Morrissey
I held off on posting anything about this until I knew for certain that charges would be filed against now-former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez. That happened this afternoon, in a strange story that has been developing for more than a week after the murder of semi-pro player Odin Lloyd:
New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez was arrested and charged Wednesday with murdering a friend a few days after they got into a dispute at a nightclub.
Hernandez was taken from his home in handcuffs Wednesday morning, more than a week after Boston semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd’s bullet-riddled body was found in an industrial park about a mile from Hernandez’s home. Soon after his arrest, the Patriots announced they had cut Hernandez from the team.
Lloyd was a 27-year-old semi-pro football player for the Boston Bandits. His relatives said he was dating the sister of Hernandez’s fiancee, that the two men were friends and that the men were out together on the last night of Lloyd’s life. He was shot multiple times in the back and chest, authorities said.
Hernandez was charged with murder and weapons counts.
In court, prosecutors described a killing borne out of a dispute at a Boston nightclub on the night of June 14, but they didn’t say exactly what supposedly did to anger Hernandez.
Recently in the Green Room:
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained
- RNC ad: Crying infant greets Obama’s new debt-laden budget
- Update: Grayson dismisses ‘erratic’ wife after abuse allegation