Green Room

Audio: My interview with Jeff Sessions

posted at 2:40 pm on June 26, 2013 by

Here’s the counterpoint to the Rubio interview I posted earlier.  I spoke with Senator Jeff Sessions last night on the Hugh Hewitt show, discussing Corker-Hoeven and the Ted Cruz find on the ObamaCare penalty:

The last few seconds of audio got cut off, so here’s the relevant part of the transcript:

EM: Senator Sessions, just briefly, got about 20 seconds. How do you do that and bring Democrats along on that?

JS: Well, Democrats have to see, Republicans, I think, should advance the bill that would actually work, treat compassionately the people that have been here for a time and haven’t been in trouble, and do that right. And then if you do that, and you create a lawful system in the future that can actually be enforced, how could they oppose it? They say they want a system that works in the future.

EM: Senator Sessions, thank you so much. I apologize, we have to go, but thank you very much.

The whole transcript is at the link.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Well done. Sorry that I didn’t give you the benefit of the doubt.

beatcanvas on June 26, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Well done. Sorry that I didn’t give you the benefit of the doubt.

beatcanvas on June 26, 2013 at 2:47 PM

I see my role in these interviews as posing as many of the questions that readers want answered in the short time frame we get. I was actually working off a list of questions that I got from an opponent of CIR during the Rubio interview. If I start debating each point, we wouldn’t get past the first question. It’s a little different if I’m just doing a podcast, as the time constraints are a little easier than in broadcast. If I had a half hour and no commercial breaks, I’d be able to dig in a little more.

Also, I think hosts should be respectful of invited guests even while asking tough questions. Hopefully I succeed more than I fail on both counts.

Ed Morrissey on June 26, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Ed Morrissey on June 26, 2013 at 2:55 PM

1) Respectful of guests: 100/100
2) Ask tough questions: -5/100

In your Rubio interview, was this supposed to be your “tough question”?

EM: Is this that big of a loophole? Because it does appear to be a bit of a concern.

From the audience point of view, all we see is a softball from you that is phrased in the exact same manner as the ludicrous pro-amnesty ads saying “Rubio is demanding border security” currently blanketing Fox and talk radio .

sauldalinsky on June 26, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Ed Morrissey on June 26, 2013 at 2:55 PM

You have access to these people that we don’t have. You’ve sat by the TV in the past, I’m sure, and urged whomever the interviewer was to ask what seemed to you an obvious question or follow-up.

You do a fine job as a non-partisan interviewer. You inhabit a partisan space here on HA. There’s a bit of a contrast with that, and I know you’re very insightful – so it seems like you’re holding back rather than going for the really tough interview.

But then, Hugh Hewitt swore up and down that Mitt Romney was oh so conservative, so perhaps you can’t be aggressive on Hugh’s show because Hugh’s conservative standards aren’t that high.

beatcanvas on June 26, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I like Sessions. Nice that straight out of the gate he HT’d Cruz.

Bmore on June 26, 2013 at 6:32 PM