Berlusconi convicted in sex-for-hire scheme
posted at 11:31 am on June 24, 2013 by Ed Morrissey
And he’s going to do some serious time for it, too:
ex-Italian PM Silvio Berlusconi convicted in sex-for-hire trial; receives 7-year sentence and barred from office – @AP
— Breaking News (@BreakingNews) June 24, 2013
Silvio Berlusconi found guilty of abuse of power and for paying for sex with a minor. http://t.co/Wdy2SYXvSt
— WSJ Breaking News (@WSJbreakingnews) June 24, 2013
— BBC Breaking News (@BBCBreaking) June 24, 2013
The BBC provided the background in an earlier report:
The prosecution in Milan says that women invited to Mr Berlusconi’s private residence for so-called “bunga-bunga” party evenings were part of a prostitution system set up for his personal sexual satisfaction.
The allegations focus specifically on his relationship with Moroccan girl Karima El Mahroug, known as “Ruby the Heart Stealer”, whom he is accused of paying for sex in 2010. She was 17 at the time. …
Prosecutor Ilda Boccassini told the Berlusconi trial during closing arguments last month that the young woman had lied when she denied having had sex with the former prime minister.
She said Ms Mahroug had received more than 4.5m euros (£3.8m) from Mr Berlusconi between October and December 2010.
Mr Berlusconi is also charged with abusing his power of office after calling a police station to press for the release of Ms Mahroug from custody when she was arrested in Milan in a separate petty theft case.
He has acknowledged the phone-call but says it was made as a favour to former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, whose granddaughter he believed Ms Mahroug to be.