Green Room

11,664 meals in an hour: Feed My Starving Children

posted at 9:52 pm on June 24, 2013 by

I just returned from an hour of volunteering at Feed My Starving Children, one of the best charities around.  Our group of about 50 people packed 54 cases of Manna Packs that consist of vitamins, a soy mixture for protein, dried vegetables, and rice.  That’s enough to make 11,664 meals — or in another measure, enough to feed 32 children for an entire year.  Our shipment will shortly go to FMSC’s partner in Haiti, but they send their Manna Packs all around the world.

We go a few times a year with our eldest granddaughter, the Little Admiral, who loves volunteering.  It’s about a 90-minute commitment, with an hour of packing sandwiched by orientation and presentation sessions.  We had planned tonight’s session for a couple of weeks. Coincidentally, our local ABC affiliate put out the call earlier today for more volunteers over the summer:

Feed My Starving Children is looking for summer volunteers to meet the group’s promised meal shipments to 70 countries worldwide.

The organization’s packing sites in Chanhassen, Eagan and Coon Rapids are open to volunteers six days a week, five shifts each day, according to the group.

Volunteers who are five years of age and older work on assembly lines to fill bags with dry meals called “MannaPacks,” designed for malnourished children.

Volunteers can register 48 hours in advance for a two-hour packing shift.

You can register here to volunteer.

Feed My Starving Children donates the food to missions and humanitarian organizations in developing communities. Those organizations plan on having a steady food supply to operate orphanages, schools, clinics and feeding programs serving the desperately poor.

FMSC also has locations in Illinois (Aurora, Libertyville, and Schaumberg), and in Tucson, Arizona.  If you live near any of these locations and want an evening of hard work and good community fun, go to the website and volunteer.  If you’re not near any of these locations, consider offering a cash donation that will help defray the cost of the food.  There aren’t many places where one can see 11,664 meals prepared in an hour.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

The Junior Logician and I used to volunteer at the Eagan center – just the 2 of us. Best mother/son bonding time ever. Wish they had a center out here. So I guess I will just have to settle for donating money. OH and one of the Haiti partners? Our former daycare provider “retired” there. Our weekly e-newsletter from them talks about the impact that FMSC has on the people of Haiti.

LL

Lady Logician on June 24, 2013 at 10:03 PM

…Bless you Ed!

KOOLAID2 on June 24, 2013 at 10:05 PM

11,664 meals in an hour: Feed My Starving Children

When I saw the headline, I thought this was about Orlando Shaw.

James on June 24, 2013 at 10:13 PM

My family has volunteered at FMSC as well. It is quite a rewarding experience. One realizes how so little can help so much, and then one wonders if only I did more, and others did more….

IronDioPriest on June 24, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Sorry to be a sourpuss Ed, but if the government didn’t make you do it then it’s not really volunteering.

abobo on June 24, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Wow, Ed. Just got a birthday invite for a 7 year old… we meet 2 hours prior to the festivities at Feed My Starving Children to do packing – and make donations, if we wish.

Great for little ones to learn about giving at a young age!

pbundy on June 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM

We’ve done FMSC in Coon Rapids with our Boy Scout troop. It’s pretty amazing.

Mr. D on June 25, 2013 at 6:15 AM

May God Bless you and all those who volunteer to feed the poor.

Zorro on June 25, 2013 at 6:46 AM

abobo on June 24, 2013 at 11:56 PM

OK, I’ll play along – “You didn’t pack that!”

Or “The NSA is watching these guys. I think they’re due for an audit or tax exemption grilling”

22044 on June 25, 2013 at 8:10 AM

We worked for one session in Schaumburg a ew weeks ago. It was a lot of fun. They started late so we didn’t quite pack 11K meals, but it was a very worthwhile use of time.

taxed_in_IL on June 25, 2013 at 10:49 AM

abobo on June 24, 2013 at 11:56 PM

My what a jaded individual you are. I wonder how you got that way. /s

yesiamapirate on June 25, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Teach a man to fish?

Bmore on June 25, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Great place to volunteer. I have been to the one in Libertyville 3 times. The kids love it too. Great fun for all, and serving a good cause.

wcwindbag on June 25, 2013 at 11:27 PM

BTW, it’s Schaumburg.

wcwindbag on June 25, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Our local food bank is advertising on the radio that they are no longer just for ‘the poor’. They have decided that branching out into the middle class is in their best long term interests!

Think about that for a bit.

Freddy on June 26, 2013 at 3:01 PM