Green Room

Video: Black Democrat-turned-Republican explains party switch

posted at 1:26 pm on June 19, 2013 by

Remember this guy?  I’d bet they’re clearing a plum speaking slot for him at CPAC ’14 already.  Enjoy:

300,000-plus views in just over two days.  Does this video go full viral?

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

can we recruit him to run against Mary Landrieu in 2014?

commodore on June 19, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Dynamic! Worthy of watching – but I’ll withhold praise for now. I learned my lesson with Ben Carson.

Hill60 on June 19, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Watched this yesterday. Everyone should watch it, especially our resident trolls.

NotCoach on June 19, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Excellent.

hollygolightly on June 19, 2013 at 1:40 PM

This guy is going to get savaged by the left. I’m not sure if there’s anything they find more revolting than a black person who’s wandered off their political plantation.

LukeinNE on June 19, 2013 at 1:41 PM

But does he believe in limited government, low tax burden, personal responsibility, rule of law, free markets, and individual liberty?

tom daschle concerned on June 19, 2013 at 1:52 PM

80% of those, that makes him conservative enough. There are no absolutes. Let him, and his following, grow into full bloom.

moyeti on June 19, 2013 at 1:56 PM

That was awesome, what constitutes “viral”.

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2013 at 1:56 PM

If his calls and internet weren’t monitored before, I’ll bet they are now.

TimBuk3 on June 19, 2013 at 2:16 PM

If you couldn’t view it at work, this is the transcript:

Hello, my name is Elbert Lee Guillory, and I’m the senator for the twenty-fourth district right here in beautiful Louisiana. Recently I made what many are referring to as a ‘bold decision’ to switch my party affiliation to the Republican Party. I wanted to take a moment to explain why I became a Republican, and also to explain why I don’t think it was a bold decision at all. It is the right decision — not only for me — but for all my brothers and sisters in the black community.

You see, in recent history the Democrat Party has created the illusion that their agenda and their policies are what’s best for black people. Somehow it’s been forgotten that the Republican Party was founded in 1854 as an abolitionist movement with one simple creed: that slavery is a violation of the rights of man.

Frederick Douglass called Republicans the ‘Party of freedom and progress,’ and the first Republican president was Abraham Lincoln, the author of the Emancipation Proclamation. It was the Republicans in Congress who authored the thirteenth, fourteenth, and fifteenth amendments giving former slaves citizenship, voting rights, and due process of law.

The Democrats on the other hand were the Party of Jim Crow. It was Democrats who defended the rights of slave owners. It was the Republican President Dwight Eisenhower who championed the Civil Rights Act of 1957, but it was Democrats in the Senate who filibustered the bill.

You see, at the heart of liberalism is the idea that only a great and powerful big government can be the benefactor of social justice for all Americans. But the left is only concerned with one thing — control. And they disguise this control as charity. Programs such as welfare, food stamps, these programs aren’t designed to lift black Americans out of poverty, they were always intended as a mechanism for politicians to control black the black community.

The idea that blacks, or anyone for that matter, need the the government to get ahead in life is despicable. And even more important, this idea is a failure. Our communities are just as poor as they’ve always been. Our schools continue to fail children. Our prisons are filled with young black men who should be at home being fathers. Our self-initiative and our self-reliance have been sacrificed in exchange for allegiance to our overseers who control us by making us dependent on them.

Sometimes I wonder if the word freedom is tossed around so frequently in our society that it has become a cliché.

The idea of freedom is complex and it is all-encompassing. It’s the idea that the economy must remain free of government persuasion. It’s the idea that the press must operate without government intrusion. And it’s the idea that the emails and phone records of Americans should remain free from government search and seizure. It’s the idea that parents must be the decision makers in regards to their children’s education — not some government bureaucrat.

But most importantly, it is the idea that the individual must be free to pursue his or her own happiness free from government dependence and free from government control. Because to be truly free is to be reliant on no one other than the author of our destiny. These are the ideas at the core of the Republican Party, and it is why I am a Republican.

So my brothers and sisters of the American community, please join with me today in abandoning the government plantation and the Party of disappointment. So that we may all echo the words of one Republican leader who famously said, ‘free at last, free at last, thank God Almighty, we are free at last.’

Resist We Much on June 19, 2013 at 2:18 PM

“Uncle Tom”, Libs

trs on June 19, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I saw it last night.

I see that he’s being criticized around the Internet for supporting the teaching of creationism. And there’s some tape showing him discussing an encounter with a supposed witch doctor.

I need more context because I refuse to take a scorned leftist’s word for anything when a black leaves the plantation.

All the same, it’s a great video. It makes me wish the GOP in DC and around the country were as he describes. I fear he left Plantation-Deluxe for Plantation-Lite.

BuckeyeSam on June 19, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Seriously, this guy needs to sit Rubio, Flake, McCain, Graham, and the rest of the amnesty shills down and have a long chat.

BuckeyeSam on June 19, 2013 at 2:40 PM

The guy is a crass opportunist, nothing more. He was a lifelong Republican.

He switched to the Democratic Party in 2007 only because his district at the time was heavily Democratic.

He’s now switched back to Republican because his new district is more friendly to Republicans.

Were he to move again into a Democratic district, he’d change his party again.

AngusMc on June 19, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Amazing, amazing video. Share it everywhere.

nicktjacob on June 19, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Poor guy is going to be crucified by the democrats.

If it were this simple it would have changed a long time ago. The sad reality is that entitlements are addictive.

That’s how the democrats operate. They get people hooked then string them along. Good luck to this guy… if we get a significant number of prominent black politicians or community leaders to switch we might be able to at least legitimize ourselves in that community. But short of that… meaningless.

Karmashock on June 19, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Welcome to the party.

Dollayo on June 19, 2013 at 5:55 PM

FANTASTIC lighting, camera work, music, everything

blatantblue on June 19, 2013 at 6:10 PM

“Mr. Guillory, the IRS is holding for you on line two.”

tommer74 on June 19, 2013 at 8:50 PM

NotCoach on June 19, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Why ? All those jackwads will do is call him Uncle Tom, not “real” black, oreo etc.

cableguy615 on June 20, 2013 at 5:53 AM

Lincoln used to be the number one name for black boy babies. Not anymore.

txmomof6 on June 20, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Guillory was a Republican in 2006, then became a Democrat, and now he’s switching back. But I still admire his eloquence.

hawksruleva on June 20, 2013 at 12:46 PM

The guy is a crass opportunist, nothing more. He was a lifelong Republican. AngusMc

Dude, you’re harshing my medication. Layoff. He’s our useful idiot now.

Mmm...Burritos on June 20, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Damn, That video made me well up. Awesome. I don’t care if he isn’t perfect, he’s on the right side. That’s all that matters.

wearyman on June 21, 2013 at 9:42 AM