Green Room

Joe Biden: Let’s face it, Al Gore was elected president of the United States

posted at 8:04 am on June 12, 2013 by

No, he wasn’t, as the New York Times eventually made clear. But the point of a political fundraiser is to tell the audience what it wants to hear in exchange for cash, so here’s Biden earning some money for Ed Markey in Boston last night:

“This man was elected president of the United States of America,” Biden said according to the pool report. “No, no, no. He was elected president of the United States of America. But for the good of the nation, when the bad decision in my view was made, he did the right thing for the nation.”

Biden, a potential 2016 candidate for president, praised Gore’s decision to accept the Supreme Court’s decision and walk away from the presidency…

“Al, you set an example for this country that is going to live as long as recorded history, about the man who won by a decision that I think constitutional scholars now and in the future will conclude was an ill fated decision,” Biden said. “The way you stepped up, it was amazing.”

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I always found it odd that the Dems chose to contest Florida and ONLY Florida in that election. What was it that made them absolutely convinced AlGore had won there, despite the fact the other candidate’s younger brother was then the VERY popular govenor of Florida who actively campaigned for him?

I have always smelled fish there – rightly or wrongly.

PJ Emeritus on June 12, 2013 at 3:25 PM

I have always smelled fish there – rightly or wrongly.

PJ Emeritus on June 12, 2013 at 3:25 PM

To be fair, both sides knew ahead of time that Florida would be one of the states that could decide the election. And both sides sent lawyers to Florida before the election.

Del Dolemonte on June 12, 2013 at 3:52 PM

I live in a very liberal town and the “Bush stole the election” crap comes up in a letter to the editor every few months. I like to point out that had Gore won Tennessee, the results in Florida wouldn’t have mattered. If the people that know you best don’t want you, then you deserve to lose.

rhit87 on June 12, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Lets face it… Joe Biden is an idiot. Everyone knows it. The democrats know it. Its been a joke in his home state for many years before Biden was relevant on the national level. The man is either actually stupid or merely prone to saying stupid things.

So here is the real headline: “Idiot does idiotic things.” Copy and print.

To which I can only say “yawn”. We have an idiot for a vice president. It isn’t the first time and it won’t be the last time. You get this most often with insecure presidents that don’t want any competition. So they grab some bench warmer to fill the slot and then task the twit with busy work or meaningless functions for the remainder of his term. With the understanding that despite his job description he’s never actually going to be president.

Might Biden become president? Perhaps if Obama dies in office for some reason. But even then only to serve out that term. No one is electing biden to president. The man lacks the presence of mind to serve the role.

Frankly, Bush lacked it as well. Which is why the press was able to catch him in serial gaffes. You just don’t let them do it. Biden can’t stop himself. So that’s just what he does. I ignore him at this point just like everyone with power does already.

Who thinks Obama gives a rat’s ass what Biden does or thinks? Biden is irrelevant.

Karmashock on June 12, 2013 at 4:43 PM

rhit87 on June 12, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Gore lost his home state because of the gun issue.

Del Dolemonte on June 12, 2013 at 4:59 PM

At the time I was strongly urging Gore to do the honorable thing, and move to a distant island and form a government in exile

Thanks to global warming it should have been easy to find someplace suitable above the Arctic Circle.

halfbaked on June 12, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Let’s face it: your boss got reelected by IRS electioneering.

crrr6 on June 12, 2013 at 6:34 PM

rhit87 on June 12, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I wouldn’t have much cared if Romney lost MI and MA if he won 270 EV’s. That said, Bush won Florida anyway – they’re just whiny brats.

crrr6 on June 12, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Biden reminds me a canine lifting a leg relieving himself on someone’s roses, and then running away.

Gore………well, he’s just a loser period.

avagreen on June 12, 2013 at 7:26 PM

They just. Won’t. Let. Go.

ZK on June 13, 2013 at 4:33 PM

PJ Emeritus on June 12, 2013 at 3:25 PM

From what I recall (I could be wrong), the recount the various newspapers did after the election showed that Gore would have won if had contested Florida.

His decision to only contest parts of Florida are what caused him to lose.

malclave on June 13, 2013 at 9:20 PM