Green Room

Crowder: Everybody Judges

posted at 6:51 pm on June 11, 2013 by

They’re just not very clear on the concept, Steven Crowder writes in his latest column at Patriot Update. The kerfuffle over Erick Erickson’s comments on breadwinners and gender roles in households touched off another big round of accusations of being “judgmental,” to which Steven says … so what?

Recently, a friend of mine (Erick Erickson) had the nerve to insinuate that men and women were inherently different. He was met with accusations of “sexism” and “being judgmental.” Similarly, a couple of months ago, I wrote a column at FoxNews about how my wife and I made the choice to wait until marriage. Some people claimed that they felt “judged.” I’m okay with that.

The word “judgment” has been turned into a dirty word nowadays. Non-Christians have used it as a go-to attack in an attempt to paint believers as pompous jerks. Christians themselves are afraid of the word, and more importantly the act itself. While it’s true that we as people shouldn’t constantly be judging everybody, we absolutely should be judging every decision that we possibly can. As a matter of fact, most people already do.

You clicked on this column. You made a judgment call. What are you drinking at your desk right now? Coffee, tea, maybe water? That’s a judgment call. What kind of car did you drive into the office? A Government Motors rattle-box or maybe a tightly engineered Honda? Judgment call.

To have ever admitted to making a mistake, is to have made a very clear-cut and final judgment.

You jerk.

First things first. While I understand Erick’s point, I disagreed with him on what the data meant. I think the ideal situation for a family is to have one parent at home and have the other being the breadwinner — and the one with the most commercial potential should be the latter, if inclined to do so.  I’ve known couples where that’s been the wife, and the families thrive regardless.  The real issue in the increase of women as breadwinners to 40% of households is the increase in single-parent homes where women have no choice but to be the breadwinners.

I didn’t think Erick offered his position out of hostility toward women or some deeply ingrained chauvinism, because I know Erick and that’s not who he is.  Those who assumed that kind of hostility were themselves making judgments on Erick’s state of mind and soul; rather than just argue that he was wrong, they argued that he disliked strong, independent women without any evidence other than an arguably poor analysis.

And that, actually, is what that passage in Matthew 7:1 means.  We can certainly judge whether Erick’s analysis is right or wrong (or formulate opinions about it).  We can judge whether his conclusions match the data, and whether his policy recommendations are wise.  We can judge his actions, and in fact in many instances we must do this, but we should not presume to judge the status of his soul or his heart, for that is left to the Ultimate Judge.  Unfortunately, this is a distinction lost on all of us at times, and on some of us more regularly.

Steven offers up a great conclusion:

Now, as per usual, I’m pretty sure that there are many of you reading this and are furious with me.

To you I say, congratulations … you’ve just made a judgment.

Well, I laughed …

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

RalphyBoy on June 12, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I really really like that. I think the overriding trend towards political correctness masks what you can really know about people and whether you think cultivating a relationship is smart for any of the people involved.

Cindy Munford on June 12, 2013 at 11:52 AM

mrsknightley on June 12, 2013 at 11:39 AM

For me condescension has to be much more blatant than disagreement or divergent paths. It has to be a specific attempt to belittle someone based on a view of their perceived life.

Cindy Munford on June 12, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Feeling offended by someone else’s advice is a characteristic of a narcissitic person who likes to wallow in self-pity.

Wow.

Judge me however you want, but I have no time for people like that. (Yes, I have just judged all of you who feel offended by Crowder’s statements.)

Indeed you did, based on knowing next to nothing about me. Congratulations.

mrsknightley on June 12, 2013 at 12:01 PM

That’s exactly what they express to me – whether deliberately or not – and I’m frankly puzzled that everyone else can’t see it as easily as I can. But my puzzlement is just that. It doesn’t extend to my being offended that others disagree.

You really don’t think well-meaning people can be condescending while having no clue that they are, in fact, condescending? Having met with many such people, I confess that’s a head-scratcher for me. But if you believe no such animal exists, then we have no argument left.

mrsknightley on June 12, 2013 at 11:39 AM

When I deal with people who I believe are well-meaning but sound condescending, I take the time to figure out whether I am interpreting them accurately or not – it appears to me that you haven’t yet done this with Stephen.

In fact, from our interaction so far, I’d say you don’t really care much about knowing if you are interpreting him accurately or not, to which I’ll add that it wouldn’t surprise me if you took this admission of mine as a condescending judgement! :)

Anti-Control on June 12, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Anti-Control on June 12, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I commend you on your emotional evolution, clearly far superior to my own. But you really don’t get what’s behind this for me, which you would have if you had any degree of perceptiveness to add to your wisdom.

If something causes me pain and that thing is completely unnecessary to the health, well-being, and survival of myself and my family, I find it best to avoid it. My first comment about all this was merely to state why I find myself in the curious position of agreeing with Steven yet not being able to read his comments on certain things. I didn’t expect anyone to agree with me, or to try to talk me out of it. It is just my opinion, after all.

Oh, and by the way – I did ask Steven for a response to my comments upthread. The one I got told me what I needed to know.

mrsknightley on June 12, 2013 at 12:24 PM

mrsknightley on June 12, 2013 at 12:24 PM

If it’s any consolation, I get what you’re saying and where you’re coming from. Many people said the same about Breitbart–they liked his message, but not his style or delivery. (Disclaimer: That doesn’t mean I agree with all of Crowder’s message or delivery though.)

conservative pilgrim on June 12, 2013 at 12:43 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Are you single? (don’t judge me)

RightisRight on June 11, 2013 at 10:56 PM

After talking to ‘twerp like that ? . . . . . . .

You’re JUDGED !

listens2glenn on June 12, 2013 at 12:45 PM

If it’s any consolation, I get what you’re saying and where you’re coming from.

It is, thank you. :)

mrsknightley on June 12, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I used to like Crowder and I still agree with his positions generally, but he fails to see how his brand of judgment and his condescending tone can cause pain to people who made mistakes and repented for them later.

mrsknightley on June 11, 2013 at 8:01 PM

You just made a judgment. I resent that.

StevenCrowder on June 12, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I see I was too precipitate in my last comment. Thanks.

mrsknightley on June 12, 2013 at 10:38 AM

You’re both JUDGED.

listens2glenn on June 12, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Sorry, Crowder, but you did. Go back to your posts around that time. I’m psyched for you and wish you all sorts of happiness in your marriage — I wish I could find the right gal. But you were simultaneously dumping on single people.

John the Libertarian on June 12, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Bruno Strozek on June 12, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Please look at the context.

In the rest of Matthew 7, the Lord Jesus went on to explain how to judge with righteousness & without hypocrisy.

itsnotaboutme on June 12, 2013 at 1:06 PM

listens2glenn on June 12, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Heh.

mrsknightley on June 12, 2013 at 1:06 PM

After talking to ‘twerp like that ? . . . . . . .

You’re JUDGED !

listens2glenn on June 12, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I had ZERO problem with him talking to me like that. Butt out! LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on June 12, 2013 at 1:14 PM

mrsknightley on June 12, 2013 at 1:06 PM

That’s a GREAT link, for this thread.

I’ll rescind one of your “judgements”, for that.

listens2glenn on June 12, 2013 at 1:18 PM

And hey, Crowder, you’re also a comedian, so you shouldn’t give a flying flip about any of this. Just carry on.

John the Libertarian on June 12, 2013 at 1:18 PM

listens2glenn on June 12, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Yeah, but I think that’s Mr. Crowder’s point.

Cindy Munford on June 12, 2013 at 1:23 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Are you single? (don’t judge me)

RightisRight on June 11, 2013 at 10:56 PM

After talking to ‘twerp like that ? . . . . . . .

You’re JUDGED !

listens2glenn on June 12, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I had ZERO problem with him talking to me like that. Butt out! LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on June 12, 2013 at 1:14 PM

What ? ! . . . You’re a married woman !

Oh boy … you’re really JUDGED, now.

listens2glenn on June 12, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I’ll rescind one of your “judgements”, for that.

LOL, thanks for that. In return I will confess that I wanted to judge your spelling of “judgement,” but I can’t because it’s technically correct even though it looks weird to me.

John the Libertarian on June 12, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Right on.

mrsknightley on June 12, 2013 at 1:25 PM

listens2glenn on June 12, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Yeah, but I think that’s Mr. Crowder’s point.

Cindy Munford on June 12, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I believe it is, too … but not everyone sees it that way.

So I’m just having as much fun with it, as I think I can get-away-with.

listens2glenn on June 12, 2013 at 1:29 PM

mrsknightley on June 12, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I had to second-guess myself on that as well, when I started commenting on this thread.

If I’m not careful, God might rescind my ‘ministry of judgement’.

listens2glenn on June 12, 2013 at 1:33 PM

God

Don’t you mean Steven? ;)

mrsknightley on June 12, 2013 at 1:36 PM

itsnotaboutme on June 12, 2013 at 1:06 PM

The disposition of souls is not my affair.

I do, however, reserve the right to pass judgement on the behavior and actions of others (and my own behavior as well), whilst on this Mortal Coil.

I reserve the right to disapprove of behavior I disagree with or disapprove of.

Others have the same right when casting a gaze my way.

Bruno Strozek on June 12, 2013 at 2:02 PM

John the Libertarian on June 12, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Since you made the accusation, it’d be a good idea for YOU to go back to the posts, and copy/paste the quote where I refer to all single people as “losers.”

Sounds to me more like a “feeling” you had when reading a piece, but I sincerely do hope that you find the right gal.

Being married (the right way) is certainly more gratifying than being single. Hope you find her!

StevenCrowder on June 12, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I thought Crowder finally getting some sex would chill him out.

I guess not.

portlandon on June 12, 2013 at 3:04 PM

John the Libertarian on June 12, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Looks like you’ve been called out Johnny boy. Time to put up or shut up.

tommyboy on June 12, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I couldn’t find the “loser” reference, but I did find these gems:

Whether you’re one with a successful marriage who’s remained silent on its myriad virtues, or merely a single, lonely critic

Let’s say you’re just another selfish, narcissistic bachelor (or bachelorette) who quite frankly, isn’t deserving of the unconditional love you may oh-so-luckily find.

You won’t be such a pathetic sloth…It’s time to stop wading through puddles of your own filth as you reach for the hotpockets and have a dame whip you into shape.

Don’t die sick, miserable and alone.

mrsknightley on June 12, 2013 at 3:22 PM

mrsknightley on June 12, 2013 at 3:22 PM

It is all just one man or woman’s opinion, why worry about it?

Cindy Munford on June 12, 2013 at 3:29 PM

@Cindy – actually, I did that to help John because it relates to my original point, which I was arguing because another poster was giving me a hard time about my opinion, contra your advice. :)

mrsknightley on June 12, 2013 at 3:33 PM

When people say “stop being judgmental”, what they really mean is “stop being obnoxious about judgments you have made” and/or “you have insufficient information to make that judgment.”

Crowder tends to come off as condescending, (I assume on purpose as part of his poke the bear shtick), and that’s really where the rub is in things like his marriage articles.

There is no “right” way to form an interpersonal relationship that would stand the test of time, as evidenced by the fact that human beings have been trying different things since we learned to walk upright. Everyone is different and interpersonal relationships are incredibly complex with too many variables to predict outcomes based on the manner in which they courted.

Therefore, trying to tell everyone their particular choice in that arena is wrong, especially if you have just begun your marriage and are thus in no position to say one way or the other yet, just comes across as insulting to people who don’t agree, or at least laughably obnoxious. And certainly if you’re going to directly insult people by saying they’re selfish, narcissistic, miserable, and pathetic for not following your particular preference, why would you be surprised when they think you are, in fact, judging them as a person and not their decisions on the merits?

CrankyTRex on June 12, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Who names their child “Erick Erickson”?

Tyrs Fury on June 12, 2013 at 5:39 PM

CrankyTRex on June 12, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Thread winner.

mrsknightley on June 12, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I commend you on your emotional evolution, clearly far superior to my own.

It’s true, I am far more emotionally evolved than you – your snarky passive-aggression only helps prove this! :)

How do you know I don’t?

You are judging my supposed knowledge & awareness only by my reaction which is not fitting into your preconceived notion of how you believe I should react i.e. you are suffering from confirmation bias…

mrsknightley on June 12, 2013 at 12:24 PM

You are overprotective of your emotions, and not very willing to challenge your beliefs, so it’s no wonder you’ve been reacting to Steven the way you have…

Anti-Control on June 12, 2013 at 9:20 PM

So, every person in the history of mankind who’s told another, “Stop being obnoxious in your judgements!”, has been objective & righteous when saying so? Do you believe Jesus would agree with you?

Your subjective bias is showing…

CrankyTRex on June 12, 2013 at 4:57 PM

If Crowder is shtickily pushing buttons when making his points, and some people react negatively to him doing so, you honestly think these people who are susceptible to such provocations are good judges of what is and isn’t condescending?

Anti-Control on June 12, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Huh. Here I was thinking this whole time that that was you. If you understood as you claim to, you would stop painting everything in black and white and realize there’s more than one plausible reason someone might have a problem with Crowder.

You don’t know about me, my life, my beliefs, or how I arrived at said beliefs over the years. But even granting for argument’s sake the truth of your statement…Why. Do. You. Care? Why are you so set on getting me to change my mind? There are two people in the universe who have that prerogative – the One who created it and the one I married.

And speaking of passive-aggressive…at least I don’t follow an insult with a smiley face.

mrsknightley on June 12, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Huh. Here I was thinking this whole time that that was you.

Of course you were – how could it have been any other way? :)

Your confirmation bias is showing, again

Why are you asking me why I care? Do you think I shouldn’t bother trying to correct someone like you when I think that you’re wrong?

Christians aren’t told to edify each other? Seems to me like you are advocating for apathy…

mrsknightley on June 12, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Oh, just stop – lighten up, let yourself go a little more, and have some fun! :)

Anti-Control on June 12, 2013 at 10:35 PM

lighten up, let yourself go a little more, and have some fun!

I did (cf my Knight’s Tale reference & ff). Perhaps not coincidentally, you weren’t around for that part.

You have neither the basis nor the authority to correct me, especially when you have no relationship with me.

Christians aren’t told to edify each other?

You really believe that the things you’ve said to me are beneficial and uplifting?

Seems to me like you are advocating for apathy…

It seems that way because you skipped all my references to compassion. If you insist on misinterpreting what I plainly state, so be it.

But hey, I’m glad it’s been “fun” for you.

mrsknightley on June 12, 2013 at 10:51 PM

John the Libertarian on June 12, 2013 at 1:04 PM

StevenCrowder on June 12, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Steven, an implication was made (as John’ and others here, perceived it) that those persons who engage(d) in pre-marital sexual intimacy have blown it for themselves, and are somehow made to suffer a reduction in social standing, on account of it.

In other words (and I am putting words in the mouths of these persons);

“So what, if you were able to keep your testosterone under control.

There’s no reason to ‘testify’ about it, and ‘put it on display.’

Just shut up about it, and keep it to yourself.”

If John’ and others present want to take me to task over “putting words in their mouths”, then have at it.

listens2glenn on June 12, 2013 at 10:55 PM

@listens2glenn – I don’t want to “take you to task.” I will say my opinions are not what you represent them to be and leave it at that.

mrsknightley on June 12, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Your subjective bias is showing…

What everyone has ever said is irrelevant to this particular example. Crowder is conflating objectively different things, the most obvious of which is to label an emotion (furious) as a “judgment.” Unless you’re a Vulcan, having an emotional reaction to a (perceived if you want to be precise) insult is not a judgment.

The only subjective aspect of that is whether or not he’s being intentionally obtuse to provoke a negative reaction or if he doesn’t actually see the difference between calling someone a narcissist because they don’t agree with his particular courtship ritual and someone deciding which courtship ritual is the best one to choose.

As for Jesus, if you want his thoughts on the matter you’ll need to ask him to post them as I’m pretty sure I’m not him.

Anti-Control on June 12, 2013 at 9:39 PM

If someone punches you in the face, and you say “ow” in response, are you a good judge of whether or not someone punched you in the face?

Clearly, if someone is intentionally being condescending to provoke a reaction, and you feel condescended to, that would be evidence in favor of you being good at telling the difference between someone who is being condescending and someone who is not.

I suspect what you’re really asking is, “Does someone who falls victim to a provocateur have better judgment than the provocateur?” and the answer, like the answer to whether or not a particular courtship ritual is the best one for any given person, is: that depends on the individual.

CrankyTRex on June 13, 2013 at 12:45 AM

This is merely an (self-serving) opinion, not a fact.

As a matter of fact, yes, but because you are overly sensitive & defensive, and passive-aggressive, you aren’t interested in objectively analyzing what I am saying…

But hey, I’m glad it’s been “fun” for you.

mrsknightley on June 12, 2013 at 10:51 PM

You are snarky & immature, rather closeminded, and have a victim mentality – you should grow up.

Anti-Control on June 13, 2013 at 4:21 AM

What everyone has ever said is irrelevant to this particular example.

You’re blatantly (cowardly?) sidestepping my question about what you said.

(misleading & convulted) opinions, not facts.

So, you have no opinions about what He would tell us is ideal behavior?

You are dishonest and/or an incredibly shallow thinker if you say, “no”…

That is a juvenile & unserious snarky response, which I’d like to believe is an aberration, but I feel unable to at this point!

CrankyTRex on June 13, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Your ‘suspicion’ about my “real” intent is stunningly warped, a result of projection of your own problems with directness onto me…what I was asking was, “Who is more likely to be a better judge of a provocateur’s intent: someone whose buttons are able to be pushed by provocateurs, or someone who is not vulnerable to such provocations?

Anti-Control on June 13, 2013 at 4:46 AM

You’re blatantly (cowardly?) sidestepping my question about what you said.

You didn’t ask a question about what I said, as I didn’t say considering someone to be obnoxious was an objective thing, nor did I say anything about righteousness at all. What I said was that “don’t judge me” has a more nuanced meaning than Crowder was ascribing to it.

(misleading & convulted) opinions, not facts.

Oh well then, if you say so, then it must be true.

So, you have no opinions about what He would tell us is ideal behavior?

You are dishonest and/or an incredibly shallow thinker if you say, “no”…

Whew, I’m not dishonest or shallow since of course I have an opinion. My opinion is that the man lived and died thousands of years before I was born, and that it would be supreme arrogance on my part to try to speak for him on any subject. It is my opinion that his life and times were so different from my own that what he would say would inevitably be different than what I think he’d say. Therefore, it’s my opinion that if you want Jesus’ opinion, it would be best to ask Jesus and not me.

It is also my opinion that what he would tell us is totally irrelevant until he starts posting here, so therefore you should ask him to do that while you’re at it.

Guilty as charged on unserious and snarky, but it’s also an excellent illustration of how inane the question you asked was, which is what elevates it above being juvenile.

Anti-Control on June 13, 2013 at 4:46 AM

Oh, well to avoid some future warped projection of my apparently problem with directness, I’ll stop giving you the benefit of the doubt that you’re just bungling the question you’re trying to ask and stop trying to reason out what you were attempting to ask.

To answer your clarified question, which is equally inane by the way, the answer is neither. To use my previous metaphor, who is more likely to be a better judge of the intent of someone who punches people in the face, the guy who said “ow” when he got punched in the face, or the guy who said nothing?

CrankyTRex on June 13, 2013 at 1:40 PM

CrankyTRex on June 13, 2013 at 1:40 PM

You picked your screenname well!

I don’t consider you seriously enough to respond more than this – sorry! :)

Anti-Control on June 14, 2013 at 5:59 AM