Green Room

“Innocence of Muslims” producer: I’m going to finish the film

posted at 2:16 pm on June 10, 2013 by

Fox News scored an exclusive video with Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, whose YouTube video initially got blamed for the attack on the US consulate in Benghazi, and who has been called a “political prisoner” ever since.  Nakoula rejects that appelation, and appears to bear the administration no ill will, but does have one goal in mind — to finish a film that Nakoula calls misunderstood:

The controversial filmmaker whose crude Internet trailer was wrongly blamed by the White House for sparking last year’s deadly Benghazi attack vowed to finish his movie, which he said is aimed at fighting terrorism, not denigrating Islam.

Breaking his silence from inside a facility under the authority of the federal Bureau of Prisons in southern California, Nakoula Basseley Nakoula told FoxNews.com in a series of phone interviews that his film “Innocence of Muslims” has been widely misunderstood, and not just in being singled out as causing the Sept. 11, 2012, attack that left U.S. Ambassador to Libya J. Christopher Stevens and three other Americans dead.

“It is not [a] religion movie,” he said. “I have a lot of Muslim friends and not all the Muslims believe in the terrorism culture. Some of them believe in this culture. That’s why we need to fight [against] the culture, not the Muslims. My enemy is the terrorism culture; this is my enemy.

“I am the blood voice for everybody who gets killed, or hurt, in this culture,” he continued. “I dedicate my life to fight with this culture … I’m never afraid.”

Having seen the first fourteen minutes of his future feature length film, I’m pretty sure the world isn’t waiting with bated breath for its completion.  That doesn’t mean Nakoula should be in jail for the video (and Nakoula himself says he’s not in jail because of it), but, er … maybe he should think about going into another line of work.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I’m pretty sure the world isn’t waiting with bated breath for its completion

You’d be wrong. I’d buy a copy.

Blake on June 10, 2013 at 2:21 PM

They got access to Hillary’s secret dungeon?

forest on June 10, 2013 at 2:29 PM

When asked if he believed his film was used as a scapegoat, or if he was unfairly prosecuted — charged with probation violations related to his film — Nakoula became tight-lipped.

“No comment,” said Nakoula, who declined to be interviewed on camera

At this point I’d have to watch.

But wait, wasn’t it shown in an LA theater already, that only seven people watched it? How could it not be finished?

rbj on June 10, 2013 at 2:36 PM

“No comment,” said Nakoula, who declined to be interviewed on camera

They told me they could… release things. Things they promised they could make very public. Things I thought were very private. Things that would destroy my family…

rogerb on June 10, 2013 at 4:03 PM

maybe he should think about going into another line of work.

I’d say “Don’t quit your day job” except that his day job involves wearing an orange jumpsuit.

GWB on June 10, 2013 at 4:08 PM

I’m pretty sure the world isn’t waiting with bated breath for its completion

You’d be wrong. I’d buy a copy.

Blake on June 10, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I’d be more interested in a documentary about this whole mess including his own personal story.

If he’s going to finish and market the film, he’s already got $50 million of marketing for free. It could have all the personality of a pet rock and still make a million dollars.

Paul-Cincy on June 10, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Ed, you gutless coward.

If he does a Kickstarter, I’ll contribute money, lots of money.

patch on June 10, 2013 at 8:34 PM

The future does not belong to him.

davidk on June 10, 2013 at 10:16 PM

I’ll wait for the musical.

whatcat on June 10, 2013 at 10:29 PM

He needs to get on Kickstarter.

bluegill on June 11, 2013 at 3:18 AM

Hi NSA and others for your late night viewing pleasure may I suggest emerils k-cups with a few nice Lu’s
Chocolate biscuits. Yummy. We want all you folks in good moods!

losarkos on June 11, 2013 at 4:14 AM

It’ll be the new “Manos: Hands of Fate”. I’d see it just to make fun of it.

DethMetalCookieMonst on June 11, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Heck, everytime Muhammed appears the Torgo theme should play.

DethMetalCookieMonst on June 11, 2013 at 7:26 AM

You’d be wrong. I’d buy a copy.

Blake on June 10, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Did you see the video? It makes Plan 9 From Outer Space look like Gone With The Wind.

My first reaction upon reading the headline was “Dude, if you’re going to make an anti-Mohammed film, at least make a good one.” Then I read the transcript where he says it is about how innocent most Muslims are. So now I say “Go ahead.”

Odysseus on June 11, 2013 at 7:53 AM

I would absolutely put $10 on a Kickstarter campaign for this guy. As long as I didn’t have to actually watch it. I just want to see heads explode worldwide. Some more literally than others…

Xasprtr on June 11, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Maybe he should just change the title to “Ishtar II”…

Mr. Bingley on June 11, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Heck, everytime Muhammed appears the Torgo theme should play.
DethMetalCookieMonst on June 11, 2013 at 7:26 AM

As a long time so-bad-its-good film aficionado, I second that.

whatcat on June 11, 2013 at 12:14 PM