“Innocence of Muslims” producer: I’m going to finish the film
posted at 2:16 pm on June 10, 2013 by Ed Morrissey
Fox News scored an exclusive video with Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, whose YouTube video initially got blamed for the attack on the US consulate in Benghazi, and who has been called a “political prisoner” ever since. Nakoula rejects that appelation, and appears to bear the administration no ill will, but does have one goal in mind — to finish a film that Nakoula calls misunderstood:
The controversial filmmaker whose crude Internet trailer was wrongly blamed by the White House for sparking last year’s deadly Benghazi attack vowed to finish his movie, which he said is aimed at fighting terrorism, not denigrating Islam.
Breaking his silence from inside a facility under the authority of the federal Bureau of Prisons in southern California, Nakoula Basseley Nakoula told FoxNews.com in a series of phone interviews that his film “Innocence of Muslims” has been widely misunderstood, and not just in being singled out as causing the Sept. 11, 2012, attack that left U.S. Ambassador to Libya J. Christopher Stevens and three other Americans dead.
“It is not [a] religion movie,” he said. “I have a lot of Muslim friends and not all the Muslims believe in the terrorism culture. Some of them believe in this culture. That’s why we need to fight [against] the culture, not the Muslims. My enemy is the terrorism culture; this is my enemy.
“I am the blood voice for everybody who gets killed, or hurt, in this culture,” he continued. “I dedicate my life to fight with this culture … I’m never afraid.”
Having seen the first fourteen minutes of his future feature length film, I’m pretty sure the world isn’t waiting with bated breath for its completion. That doesn’t mean Nakoula should be in jail for the video (and Nakoula himself says he’s not in jail because of it), but, er … maybe he should think about going into another line of work.
Recently in the Green Room: