Green Room

Worst debate answer ever?

posted at 11:17 am on June 6, 2013 by

Ed Markey wasn’t on top of his game during last night’s Massachusetts Senate debate.  Or maybe he was, and his game is pretty weak.  Attempting to defend his votes on Obamacare — specifically his refusal to repeal the job-killing Medical Device Tax — Markey uncorked this gem:

“I’m working to repeal it. Um, I don’t want to repeal it because you have to find an equivalent amount of money to repeal it.  Uh, and so, for me, I want to repeal it…”

In the spirit of Family Feud contestants who always praise teammates’ responses, no matter how badly they choke, I say, “Good answer, Ed!”  The relieving news for Team Markey is that most Bay State voters were probably too preoccupied with the Bruins and Red Sox games to notice what a lemon of a candidate their guy is.  Markey is a sclerotic, sleepy 37-year House incumbent who reliably votes the Democratic Party line — which may be exactly what Massachusetts wants.  The crowd that picked Elizabeth Warren over Scott Brown may not care that Markey’s a hypocritical dullard.  Consider this instant classic of a reply when he was challenged on his own adherence to the so-called ‘Buffett Rule,’ which he’s touted on the campaign trail:

The Markey playbook: Stammer for ten full seconds, then reflexively employ the phrase “fair share” — which in this case destroys your own dopey position on the Buffett Rule.  “Good answer, Ed!”  Markey is opposed by moderate Republican Gabriel Gomez, an ex-Navy SEAL from an immigrant family with a Harvard MBA.  He trails Markey by single digits in Democratic internal polls, according to the Boston Herald, so President Obama is scheduled to stump for Markey week.  The special election to replace John Kerry will be held on June 25.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Liberals don’t get paid for being smart.

Akzed on June 6, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Whaaa????

CurtZHP on June 6, 2013 at 11:21 AM

For a couple of decades now, I have felt that Ed Markey is the classic Northeastern example of everything a man is not, should never be, and shoot yourself if you see that sh** in a mirror.

M240H on June 6, 2013 at 11:27 AM

It makes sense for Markey to answer like that.

After all, it’s an election to replace John “I was for it before I was against it” Kerry, right?

itsnotaboutme on June 6, 2013 at 11:35 AM

He would be eminently qualified for the job except in Massachusetts where the word “Republican” becomes an automatic disqualifier.

Bitter Clinger on June 6, 2013 at 11:38 AM

This is a state where Republican candidates purposely fail to mention in their commercials that they are, in fact, Republicans…and then hope the voters don’t notice prior to checking the box.

NickelAndDime on June 6, 2013 at 11:46 AM

He still will be elected to the Senate.

JR on June 6, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Ted Kennedy would be so proud…

Galtian on June 6, 2013 at 12:57 PM

NickelAndDime on June 6, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Yeah, having lived in the western half of the US for most of my life, (CO, AZ and CA) I now live on the Rhode Island-Massachusetts border, ugh. Talk about feeling like you’re living in a foreign country! California was bad enough, but here in lib land…geez. At least one thing is good about living here. The media has no shortage of stories on the local news about all the scandals and ripoffs being perpetrated by their long standing National Socialist Party members! By the way, what ever happened to Sacagawea anyway? since she was elected to replace Matt Brown, I haven’t seen much of her ugly mug, thank God!

Slayur on June 6, 2013 at 1:37 PM

100 Senators. A pretty exclusive club when you think about it. But when this guy becomes Senator Markey, the prestige of actually being a Senator is going to suffer. I mean, he proves you don’t even have to be able to talk in coherent sentences to be a senator. Telemarketers, for example, are sort of required to be able to talk in coherent sentences.

I guess what I am trying to say is Markey is qualified to be a US Senator but would be a terrible Telemarketer. Therein is the problem with the country. The standards of expectations for a Senator are lower than the standards of a telemarketer.

Depressing.

jjjdad on June 6, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I have full faith and confidence in the people of MA…………

ultracon on June 6, 2013 at 4:36 PM

*cringe*

Or rather, I would cringe, if I didn’t want Democrats to be completely embarrassed and drummed out of all parts of the government.

ramesees on June 6, 2013 at 4:50 PM