Green Room

“Band of Brothers” reunites for a new effort to help vets (bumped)

posted at 7:31 pm on June 4, 2013 by

How would you like to own a poster from the HBO miniseries Band of Brothers, signed by all of the leading cast members, along with producers Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks?  Let’s put it another way: how would you like to help benefit returning current vets?  The Poster Project, a new effort from the cast, crew, and producers twelve years after the series focusing on Easy Company’s exploits — and the remaining men whom they portrayed — will auction off a signed poster to raise money for the effort at Gallant Few.

Bidding starts Thursday at The Poster Project, timed to coincide with the 69th anniversary of D-Day:

Kudos to Michael Broderick and his friends for this effort.  Be sure to bid early and often!

Update: Gallant Few assists current returning vets — and we know how much we owe them.  I misunderstood Michael’s message, and have fixed the post above.

Update: Bumped to top again.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Neal McDonough! *dreamy sigh*

Hat Trick on June 4, 2013 at 1:37 PM

The.Best.War.Series.EVER.

The story of Dick Winters and the 101st Airborne is a great one.

I wish I could afford it.

portlandon on June 4, 2013 at 1:38 PM

What a great idea! The best war movie ever!

I am taking my family to France, Belgium and Germany next year to retrace the steps of my deceased father in law who fought there in WWII. It will be the 70th anniversary. I have letters he wrote to his wife thoughtout the war and we are using them to plan our trip. I want my son and his family to always remember the sacrifices his grandfather and others gave for us.

d1carter on June 4, 2013 at 1:42 PM

d1carter on June 4, 2013 at 1:42 PM

That’s amazing! Best of luck on that trip, incredible lesson for your children.

I took a trip out to Bayeux a couple of years ago when in Paris and remember standing on the beach looking up at the hill and just getting chills thinking of the incredible courage it took those men coming ashore to get up to the top. The American Cemetery there is an emotional site for sure and something everyone should get a chance to visit.

nextgen_repub on June 4, 2013 at 2:21 PM

The.Best.War.Series.EVER.
portlandon on June 4, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Full stop. The Pacific IS really good too. But the cohesive story of Band of Brothers is so incredible it blows the mind.

I will be going to Normandy in September to tour the beaches and 101st sites for a couple days. I can’t wait.

Genuine on June 4, 2013 at 2:48 PM

d1carter on June 4, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Incredible. I’m going too this year, but to have an actual family members steps to retrace? I can’t imagine how powerful, important, and soul-satisfying that will be.

My grandfather fought in the Pacific and my next trip will be to go with my Dad out to Peliliu, Okinawa, and the other islands my grandfather was a part of the bombardment of, best of luck and best hopes on YOUR families trip.

Genuine on June 4, 2013 at 2:51 PM

It has been nearly 70 years since operation Overlord, which has come to be called D-Day. Unbelievable. I went there in November 1993 as they were getting ready for the 50th anniversary. It was a cold, rainly early November day. I met the man responsible for planning the reunion. He and I had a conversation for over thirty minutes. And, the French people of the town of Bayeaux were extraordinarily courteous to all of us.

SC.Charlie on June 4, 2013 at 3:24 PM

d1carter,
Strongly recommend that before your trip (if you haven’t already done this), visit the National Archives in Wash DC and research your father-in-laws outfits. You will be able to see (and make copies of) battle maps, after action reports, casualty lists, etc. It is really fascinating. I did that a couple of years ago to research an uncle who died in France; wish I had done it long ago while his brothers and sisters were still alive.

exhelodrvr on June 4, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Amazing series. I have each individual episode on my tablet, which I watch pretty often.

I will always be in awe of those men, and everyone who fought for freedom for this country.

rightside on June 4, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Foxholes still visible in Bastogne:

mudskipper on June 4, 2013 at 4:05 PM

exhelodrvr on June 4, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Did all the research when transcribing his letters back home. I found the best information at his local courthouse. Evidently, GI’s were told to file their discharge papers in the local courthouse for future needs. I got a copy of his and it opened many doors for his military history. He was in the 30th ID his entire service. BTW, his records were in a massive fire but his division historians and his letters have really put it together for us.

d1carter on June 4, 2013 at 4:15 PM

He was in the 30th ID his entire service.

*PING d1carter*

Amazingly small world. I know about that massive fire in Maryland. In the 70s I think.

My dad was in the 30th ID as well!

3rd squad, weapons platoon, Company C, 120th Infantry Regiment.

LimaLimaMikeFoxtrot on June 4, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Oh, how I wish that I could afford it.
*HUGE BoB fan. I cried when Winter’s died a few years back.*

annoyinglittletwerp on June 4, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Genuine on June 4, 2013 at 2:48 PM

A trip to Bayeux is highly recommended – see the tapestry and be sure to check out their WW2 museum – top notch.

There’s also a museum just outside St. Mere Eglise that’s worth stopping into, and the museum at Arromanches is pretty good too.

I wasn’t prepared for the American Cemetery at Colleville sur Mer, and felt like I had been kicked in the chest – it makes you swell with pride and weep with sorrow all at once.

The people in this region are still appreciative of Americans – we were made to feel very welcome. Same positive response from the Belgians.

Hill60 on June 4, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Ed, Lil Bobnox was born on 6/6/01 so D-Day has been big in his life. When we moved to VA from CA, we took him to D-Day memorial in Bedford, VA on his 5th birthday. He was treated as gold by an actual D-Day vet who took him on a solo tour. He also met Alex Kershaw who wrote a great book, The Bedford Boys, about D-Day. Reason they put the D-Day memorial there in Bedford VA area is because the community lost so many native sons on Omaha Beach that the town was recognized for making the largest US contribution in blood to the freedom of Europe and mankind. Everybody should make the attempt to visit the US D-Day Memorial in Bedford, VA. Bobnox

bobnox on June 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Hill60 on June 4, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Already have it planned!! :) Staying in Bayeux for two days. Personal guide one day. Next day to go to the museums and cemetaries you mentioned on our own.

It’s fair to say I’m extremely excited. Just wish we had more time! Will be visiting Paris and London as well.

Genuine on June 4, 2013 at 10:19 PM

LimaLimaMikeFoxtrot on June 4, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Yep, my father in law was in Company A, 120th Infantry Regiment. A nineteen year old Sgt in charge of a 60 mm mortar squad.

d1carter on June 4, 2013 at 10:30 PM

The.Best.War.Series.EVER.

The story of Dick Winters and the 101st Airborne is a great one.

I wish I could afford it.

portlandon on June 4, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Yes. It. Is.

The hubby bought me the DVD set one year and I watch it regularly. I remain in awe of what those gentlemen went through for us.

PatriotGal2257 on June 4, 2013 at 10:50 PM

portlandon on June 4, 2013 at 1:38 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 4, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Amazon.com: Band of Brothers DVD set – $27.99

PatriotGal2257 on June 4, 2013 at 10:56 PM

PatriotGal2257 on June 4, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Spawn got it for Christmas a few years back.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 5, 2013 at 12:25 AM

I read this post, and then decided to open the suitcase my grandad left me.

He was the real SVJones whom my nomme de guerre is derived from and served a term of honorable service from 1942-1945 mostly in Europe as a member of HQ Company, 507th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 82nd Airborne Division.

Some years ago when he was diagnosed with cancer he collected all of the war memorabilia he had and placed it in a box, which upon his death on May 11th of this year at the ripe old age of 92 from that cancer was transferred into an old traveling suitcase and per his instructions given to me.

Inside were many items including his service map issued to all paratroopers (nearly 70 years old), a book on France (again Army issue from D-Day), letters between him and the members of the French Resistance cell who saved his bacon at the risk of their own lives on 6-8 June 1944 and mementos from several of the decade anniversaries of his unit. To name but a few things.

There is a part of him within those things and is the best bequest he could have left me-much more valuable than any money. I doubt I will sleep much at all now.

SgtSVJones on June 5, 2013 at 5:59 AM

SgtSVJones on June 5, 2013 at 5:59 AM

I knew Joe Shealy who was a member of either of the 82nd or 101st who parachuted into Sainte-Mère-Église on June 6th. He died just a couple of years ago when he was in his 90s. I still buy muscadine grapes from his Joe’s farm. His son Walter took the operation over several decades ago.

SC.Charlie on June 5, 2013 at 6:25 AM

We can all be thankful that we did not have to invade Japan. I am sure that many of on this board would not be here today, if that invasion had to occur. The code name for that invasion was Operation Downfall. My 86 year-old uncle (18 in 1945) who is still alive today credits the dropping of the two nuclear bombs on Japan for saving his life. My father had gone through medical school and had graduated in May of 1945. He may have as well have been saved by the sudden end of the war. He shipped out in to the Pacific in 1946, about the time when the second phase of the invasion had been scheduled.

SC.Charlie on June 5, 2013 at 6:42 AM

SC.Charlie on June 5, 2013 at 6:42 AM

My wife would likely not be here. Her father was one of those assigned to the invasion if it occurred (Marine Corps, both WWII and Korea, died in 1991 on the day Saddam Hussein agreed to a cease-fire).

Ed Morrissey on June 5, 2013 at 8:29 AM

SC.Charlie on June 5, 2013 at 6:25 AM

SME was the objective of my grandad’s unit (507 PIR)and other members of the 82nd Abn (I believe 505 & 508 PIR but I don’t have the objectives map handy at the moment)

SgtSVJones on June 5, 2013 at 10:36 AM