Green Room

Dude – UPDATE: Resolved last year

posted at 12:06 pm on June 2, 2013 by

Think the anti-gun, zero-tolerance ninnies couldn’t possibly push their insanity any further?  Think again, n00b.  There are wayward deaf pre-schoolers to punish:

Hunter Spanjer says his name with a certain special hand gesture, but at just three and a half years old, he may have to change it. “He’s deaf, and his name sign, they say, is a violation of their weapons policy,” explained Hunter’s father, Brian Spanjer. Grand Island’s “Weapons in Schools” Board Policy 8470 forbids “any instrument…that looks like a weapon,” But a three year-old’s hands? “Anybody that I have talked to thinks this is absolutely ridiculous. This is not threatening in any way,” said Hunter’s grandmother Janet Logue. “It’s a symbol. It’s an actual sign, a registered sign, through S.E.E.,” Brian Spanjer said. S.E.E. stands for Signing Exact English, Hunter’s sign language. Hunter’s name gesture is modified with crossed-fingers to show it is uniquely his own. “We are working with the parents to come to the best solution we can for the child,” said Jack Sheard, Grand Island Public Schools spokesperson. That’s just about all GIPS officials will say for now. Meantime, Hunter’s parents say that by Monday, lawyers from the National Association of the Deaf are likely to weigh in for Hunter’s right to sign his own name. Despite whatever rules and regulations may exist, some Grand Islanders we spoke with said they don’t think it’s right to make a three year-old change the way he says his name. “It’s his name. It’s not like he’s going to bring a gun to school when he’s three years old,” commented Dana Schwieger.

The district is working to devise a “solution” to the pressing crisis of how to make a deaf three-year-old’s signed name look less like a gun.  For the children, of course.

UPDATECrisis resolved.

UPDATE II – I see now that this story was from last year, pre-Newtown.  Might the school district need to revisit young Hunter’s violence-promoting sign language in light of new information?

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Just so you know, there are indeed guns in our schools. Today I was nursery worker at church for preschoolers that meet in one of our public elementary schools. The boys were given flashlights to shine God’s light on the world. They chose instead to be good guys shooting bad guys with their flashlights. And I didn’t stop them.

1nolibgal on June 2, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Nebraska? Grand island? WTF?

We used to look up to Grand Island as the big city that wasn’t as stuck up as Lincoln, or grimy as Omaha.

Forget that.

Beatrice and Fairbury are still okay…I hope…

cozmo on June 2, 2013 at 12:15 PM

UPDATE II

I was just about to mention that.

The tip about the Spitfire is much more recent.

cozmo on June 2, 2013 at 12:19 PM

1nolibgal on June 2, 2013 at 12:12 PM

So they aren’t promoting God, but instead promoting guns?

But if you stop them from playing guns, then they’ll be promoting God?!

And if you try to stop the God stuff, they’ll just go back to guns… and shooting “bad guys’ too. That’s blatant targeting of the likes of Holder, Napolitano, and Schumer who proudly revel in their evil.

Obviously all flashlights must be banned. Unless you’re all Muslim and you really meant to say “mosque,” “Quran,” and “infidels,” in which case carry on.

Gingotts on June 2, 2013 at 2:40 PM

1nolibgal on June 2, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I think if you leave boys in a room full of barbies, they’ll find a way to point them and say ‘bang’. I think many years ago, this study was actually done.

Jackalope on June 2, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Every once in awhile, the ACLU does the right thing. Now if it only came to bat for James Rosen, or the 500 conservative groups persecuted by the IRS.

John the Libertarian on June 2, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Was Adam Levine right?

faraway on June 2, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Thought I had read about this last year. Curious what they have done with the kids named “Colton” and “Gunther.”

hopeful on June 2, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Jackalope on June 2, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Bananas work pretty well too.

AesopFan on June 2, 2013 at 11:41 PM

All this zero tolerance stuff is not stupid. It is a well thought out plan to make people fear anything that even remotely has gun connotations. Give it a couple of years and people will so fear guns and ensuing punishments that they will give up guns as not worth ruining their life or family over. I was reported to HR and threatened with being reported to child services because I gave my children firearm classes as birthday presents. The whole thing fell apart when they found out my kids were 19 and 22 years old. On the down side I had to sit and listen to a lecture of the evils of guns and the company put in new policies to handle mental defectives like me that were not afraid of guns.

Dr. Frank Enstine on June 3, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Jihad, on the other hand, is a perfectly acceptable name.

Phoenician on June 3, 2013 at 9:05 AM

So they aren’t promoting God, but instead promoting guns?

But if you stop them from playing guns, then they’ll be promoting God?!

Gingotts on June 2, 2013 at 2:40 PM

hmmm…that is a conundrum now, isn’t it? Clearly, another ban is in order.

1nolibgal on June 3, 2013 at 11:51 AM

You have to laugh at this zero-tolerance stuff coming from the left, whose sixties members had them rebelling against “labels” because labels were too broad of a way to deal with the myriad circumstances of life.

So now they just declare “zero-tolerance” on something and can lump hand-gestures in with guns and child’s winks in with “sexual harassment” like a boss’ quid pro quo proposition.

You give fiberals enough time, they will betray every ideal they have ever passed themselves off as believing.

Axeman on June 3, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I think it’s funny that his name is “Hunter”.

SailorMark on June 3, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Top Pick

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus

Biased Americans see media as biased.

Tough times down on the liberal ranch

Will Nancy Pelosi survive this latest Dem disaster?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 22, 2017 8:41 AM

Eat quick, before it’s gone.

Slow your roll, boss

“I’m bothered by the lack of emerging evidence…”

FIrst look at the Senate health bill

John Sexton Jun 21, 2017 9:21 PM

Divide and conquer?

You know, I may have cracked the case for you, guys

“They’re still running against her and still winning races.”

“…the suspect is from Quebec and has a Canadian passport.”

When the Left lost their way on immigration

Jazz Shaw Jun 21, 2017 2:41 PM

It wasn’t all that long ago, really

“I personally watched some of these students go up to Chief Brown, right up to her face, and call her all kinds of names, cursing at her.”

Did the Queen “nix” a Trump visit to London?

Jazz Shaw Jun 21, 2017 12:41 PM

More like wishful thinking on the American left

Sometimes it’s hard. This was the hardest part

Did the polls get the Handel/Ossoff race wrong?

Allahpundit Jun 21, 2017 11:21 AM

Nah.

Physician, heal thyself

Maybe we’ll stay home and watch.