Green Room

Great news: Kindergartner’s sentence reduced to time served

posted at 4:51 pm on June 1, 2013 by

For the background, read Allahpundit’s post from last night if you missed it.  After an avalanche of criticism and ridicule, Calvert County school officials backed down from the 10-day suspension of a five-year-old boy for carrying a cap gun to school:

School officials in Calvert County ruled Friday that a kindergarten boy suspended for taking his cowboy-style cap gun onto a school bus may return to school Monday, according to the child’s family and a lawyer.

The decision, made at a Friday disciplinary conference, cuts the boy’s 10-day suspension back to the three days he has already served. The family’s request to clear the incident from the boy’s school records must be considered separately, those involved said.

Oh, I’m certain it will be considered separately — in court, with the parents as plaintiffs and the school having to defend its two-hour interrogation of a kindergartner before calling his parents.  Via Rare, which opines that the move is probably an attempt to avoid the inevitable lawsuit.  I think it’s to aviod the inevitable firings.  Best of luck on either score.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Actually, the poor kid’s mother is a teacher, and she has said that she understands that what the boy did was wrong, but thinks they over-reacted. I really feel sorry for this little boy, surrounded by fascist idiots.

Cation on June 1, 2013 at 5:22 PM

It won’t be over for the boy for a long time. To be terrorized to the point of wetting his pants by school officials is bound to have a lasting effect. This is a rare case were for the boy’s sake, I hope the lawyer does get the mom all worked up.

earlgrey133 on June 1, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Via Rare, which opines that the move is probably an attempt to avoid the inevitable lawsuit. I think it’s to aviod the inevitable firings.

The school administrators are so big on punishments? Fine. Let their punishments begin, and let them be severe.

Liam on June 1, 2013 at 6:06 PM

two-hour interrogation of a kindergartner before calling his parents

Wasn’t Obama supposed to put a stop to this type of thing? Oh, wait, he meant when it’s done to terrorists. Nevermiiiind.

whatcat on June 1, 2013 at 6:14 PM

This administrator mania needs to be rooted out and burned; I hope they are made examples and publicly humiliated.

SarahW on June 1, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Alas, the mother is a high school teacher in the same district, so she is probably also loony left. Now, if the lawyer can convince her that they can collect enough that she will no longer have to work, she might then be able to work up enough ire to actually do something.

Every one of those teachers and the principal need to be fired and blacklisted from working with kids again. Ever.

AZfederalist on June 1, 2013 at 6:31 PM

That family should hold onto their lawyer. I foresee many, many future lawsuits regarding picking up the tab for psychiatric counseling, therapy and any other expensive touchy-feely aid and advice that child is going to need from this day forward!

Jack Deth on June 1, 2013 at 7:16 PM

So the boy’s mother is a teacher; what does the boy’s father think? I want to hear his opinion too, so I know just how damaged this poor kid is going to be living with collaborators who would sacrifice his childhood to the greater good.

If he’s not a teacher, I bet he knows how much money the boards have to pay off pesky court cases that accurately reflect how out of control school administrators are when it comes to the health and welfare of all students.

Never rule out lawyers.

CitizenEgg on June 1, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I’m sitting here wondering whether the parents should sue. If it’s to teach the district a lesson, and to root out the cancer in the district, I’m all for it. I’d oppose the idea if it’s about making sure little Johnny has access to therapy for the next fifteen years, or cashing in on the district.

So Johnny wet his pants and was treated unfairly. Good life lesson for little Johnny — things will go badly sometimes, and next time stay dry.

I’m open to being persuaded otherwise, but I think even the Right has bought into the litigious fever that has taken over the nation.

RationalIcthus on June 1, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Speaking as someone who spent his high school years and probably had those folks as neighbors for a few years we had more CONSERVATIVE teachers than most public schools.

So the administrator and whatever morons authorized an interrogation of a damn five year old need to be fired post-haste. But kindly don’t take it out on the entire county please and thank you.

Calvert County is actually one of the more conservative/republican areas of the People’s Democratic Republic of Maryland.

SgtSVJones on June 1, 2013 at 9:15 PM

What on earth are you going to ask a five year old for two hours?

tommer74 on June 1, 2013 at 9:56 PM

As intended, the damage is already done. The child will now second guess his spontaneity. This slowly kills the spirit of the child and creates self doubt.
I hate these people.

Mimzey on June 1, 2013 at 10:39 PM

So the boy’s mother is a teacher; what does the boy’s father think?

He’s probably a feminized softy along for the ride. But doesn’t hurt to ask, I suppose.

JurysOut on June 1, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Screw civil court. Someone needs to look into criminal proceedings against the staff. This was a case of child abuse. It certainly would be regarded as such if the parents had treated him that way.

RationalIcthus on June 1, 2013 at 8:01 PM

No, nothing litigious about it. It needs to be treated as it is – a case of child abuse. Someone needs to be looking at charges.

As for your utterly brain dead assessment of little Johnny…
Let’s march you into a room after a bumpy bus ride, right after you’ve had a nice tall glass of OJ. Let’s keep you there for two hours and not let you use the bathroom. As an adult (and I’m assuming a lot here), you could probably force yourself to hold it, but you’d be uncomfortable. This kid is five years old. And don’t tell me the grilling he got wasn’t scaring him.

You apparently don’t have kids. If you do, I genuinely fear for their well-being.

CurtZHP on June 2, 2013 at 12:20 AM

If I am ever blessed with kids, I’m going to buy them loads of toy guns and swords. And if any teachers try to pull crap like this (psychologically abusing a kid because of an accident), I will get in their faces about it. I intend to be involved in the education of any children I have, and to know what goes on in their schools, and to be ready for any trouble. I’ll be avoiding public school like the plague though.

Othniel on June 2, 2013 at 4:18 AM

What subjects could possibly occupy two hours of “interrogation?”
Have you ever been to China, site of this unlawful weapon’s or its ammunition’s manufacture? Where do you keep your passport and visas?
What are the names and ages of the other members of your terrorist cell?…two hours?

Barnestormer on June 2, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Maryland.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on June 2, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Othniel on June 2, 2013 at 4:18 AM

I’m thinking tar, feathers and a rail which starts a one way trip out of town for the administrators.

chemman on June 2, 2013 at 9:16 AM

RationalIcthus on June 1, 2013 at 8:01 PM

So how the IRS is treating conservatives is a good life lesson for us — as long as they stop after we’ve wet our pants.

unclesmrgol on June 2, 2013 at 10:12 AM

…that’s child abuse…some agency needs to step in… for the parents…

KOOLAID2 on June 2, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Maryland.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on June 2, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Nuff said.

NavyMustang on June 2, 2013 at 10:35 AM

The cap gun story shows the stupidity of schools & punishment they give.

Here is another example of school admins running amok on their no tolerance policies—> http://now.msn.com/school-says-deaf-boys-name-sign-looks-too-much-like-a-gun#scpshrtu

Conservative4Ever on June 2, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Zero tolerance is a construct of the left and part of the larger movement to use the public schools to reshape society.

See also “restorative justice.”

Drained Brain on June 2, 2013 at 11:49 AM

RationalIcthus on June 1, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Wow. I hope you don’t have children. Even a 5 year-old has more on the ball than you. But let’s see if I can explain this so even you can understand it.

Parents in the U.S. have limited choice in educating children – send them to schools, public or private, or homeschool them (and in many states if you do that you have to get the approval of the local public school district.) No matter what they choose, money is “legally” extorted from them, in the form of taxes, to pay for a public school system.

In your world, the public school system should be allowed to do anything they want with our tax dollars, and we should just suck it up and ignore it. According to you, the children be damned.

southsidetom on June 2, 2013 at 12:37 PM

This is how this would have been handled at my elementary school (Private, Christian). If the teacher had become aware that a little kid had brought a toy gun to school, the kid would have been told that toy guns are not allowed in school, toy gun would have been taken away, parent would be called to say that to get toy gun back, parent would have to come pick it up. In this case, even though the school had it as a rule that these types of toys were not to be brought to school, they understood that little kids, especially, bring stuff like that anyway. Overreacting doesn’t help anybody here.

Katja on June 2, 2013 at 2:03 PM

RationalIcthus on June 1, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I do have to say that in a conservative household, this *would* be handled as a good life lesson: some people are evil nasty creeps, and sometimes they have power over you; this is why we have laws and a constitution in this country, so that we can then attempt to get justice when someone treats you as terribly as the administrator did.

I would also use this to teach discernment about public authority figures (i.e., police). You should feel safe going to a policeman, but that doesn’t mean you should let him do things that you *know* are wrong. Just because he’s a policeman (or a school administrator or teacher, etc.) doesn’t mean he can do whatever he wants.

RationalIcthus on June 1, 2013 at 8:01 PM

This isn’t an issue of “litigious fever”, but of holding the persons involved accountable. Lawsuits aren’t bad things in and of themselves. This is one of the things for which lawsuits were made (especially public officials who abuse their power, and might be somewhat immune to the criminal law).

Unless you advocate going by the guy’s house and beating the crap out of him? That would be another way to go. As to whether that’s how it *should* be handle……..

GWB on June 2, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Sue them! And get the IDIOTS fired!

GarandFan on June 2, 2013 at 10:04 PM

RationalIcthus on June 1, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I can bet you that if you did this to your kid at home and child services found out, you would be in a world of hurt.
On top of that, your not supposed to be questioned without the option of representation… plus the fact of the matter is this is a child under the age of 18, nothing should have been done in this case if it was such a big deal WITHOUT first calling the parents and let them get down there to start the “questioning”.

As for the wetting of his pants, the kid was scared S**tless. That and he most likely had to go to the bathroom anyways.

There was no need for this to happen in this situation. NONE.

Like I have said before, this is a case where I hope a few lawyers are gonna go probono on this and take this case up to not only make sure that the people involved are personally liable for the actions, but also the school district for allowing this to happen.

watertown on June 3, 2013 at 10:08 AM

What’s ironic is that the way these teachers treated this kid would have raised howls of outrage had it been done to a Gitmo inmate.

JohnTant on June 3, 2013 at 12:22 PM

One wonders what the school’s voice mail box looked like this morning.

CurtZHP on June 3, 2013 at 12:40 PM

RationalIcthus on June 1, 2013 at 8:01 PM

The school systems have bought into no-tolerance policies as a defence mechanism to protect against lawsuits, and so that they don’t have to think or be accountable. The only way to counter this thought process is to show how such policies STILL leave them open to lawsuits, and do not act as a viable shield when situations like these arise. School systems should be areas of thinking and common sense, not regulations and stupidity.

dominigan on June 3, 2013 at 3:41 PM