Green Room

Video: How to prank an entire city

posted at 8:00 am on May 16, 2013 by

Expensive, but worth it.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Malcolm in the Middle was the voice of middle America.

Who hasn’t dreamed of this?

cat-scratch on May 16, 2013 at 8:26 AM

If you write in cursive you can get everything in one pass.

EddieC on May 16, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Really? He couldn’t foresee that the wind would wipe the letters away quickly on a long message?

Not worth it.

princetrumpet on May 16, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Can we meet the people who donated to this?

Now there would be something to laugh at!

Shy Guy on May 16, 2013 at 9:51 AM

The people who donated to this prolly watch a lot of Honey Boo-Boo.

Galtian on May 16, 2013 at 10:30 AM

The sheer stupidity of this has rendered me speechless.

steebo77 on May 16, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Not worth it.

princetrumpet on May 16, 2013 at 9:21 AM

And you wonder why you never get invited to the party …

M240H on May 16, 2013 at 10:32 AM

LOL, M240H… yes, yes. Curmudgeons R Us. :-)

princetrumpet on May 16, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I hate to be the party pooper but my first thought upon hearing the guy’s goal of raising that much money to “insert stupidity or absurdity into stranger’s lives” was, “Hey–how bout using that money to insert actual food into starving children’s bellies.” (Or . . . name your worthy charitable cause).

I’m all for fun and games, but that’s just wasteful. Moreover, does any more stupidity really need to be “inserted” anywhere?

pianomomma on May 16, 2013 at 11:24 AM

pianomomma on May 16, 2013 at 11:24 AM

It will be a challenge not to take my next statement wrong. If your husband is having an affair. Do not let him read your comment. It will justify the affair in his mind. (channeling Pat Robertson) You could not have made a more “nagging” comment. Yes, nagging is a gender-bias term. You may, rightfully accuse me of sexism.

Anywhoo, It’s not waste. It’s spending one’s money as they see fit. You think if this didn’t happen that 7k worth of food would have been bought?

How about you start your own fund and see how much you raise to prove me wrong?

Capitalist Hog on May 16, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Fail.

El_Terrible on May 16, 2013 at 1:03 PM

pianomomma on May 16, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Huh. I didn’t realize that worrying about how other people spend their money was a conservative value/principle.

gryphon202 on May 16, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Capitalist Hog on May 16, 2013 at 12:04 PM

gryphon202 on May 16, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I understand your points. You’re correct. Employing that pilot was an example of capitalism in action. People can spend their money however they want, even in ways that may seem wasteful to me or others. I am a strong believer in that, with one exception– I’m not a big fan of our government spending my money in wasteful ways, and that is something I DO worry about!

My personal journey of realization about suffering and hunger worldwide (that I’d successfully anesthesized myself from for a big chunk of my life) has been dominating my thoughts and actions recently–and yes, that includes financial decisions. So, the reaction I shared here was colored by my own growing awareness and life change in this area. You are right to assert that does not have to be everyone’s reaction–money spent to employ others does stimulate our economy in a very healthy way. I truly get that.

pianomomma on May 16, 2013 at 2:01 PM

pianomomma on May 16, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I think crowdsourcing/crowdfunding is one of the most misunderstood phenomena of our generation. Check your righteous indignation at the door, spend a few minutes really thinking, and you may find that life isn’t fair no matter how hard people try to make it so.

The poor, you will always have with you.

— Jesus Christ

gryphon202 on May 16, 2013 at 2:33 PM

The poor, you will always have with you.

— Jesus Christ

gryphon202 on May 16, 2013 at 2:33 PM

The message of that is NOT “don’t concern yourself with the poor.”

Kensington on May 16, 2013 at 2:56 PM

The message of that is NOT “don’t concern yourself with the poor.”

Kensington on May 16, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Not my intent. I believe the message of that is, “No matter how much you help the poor, some will always have more than others. Keep it in its proper perspective.”

gryphon202 on May 16, 2013 at 3:10 PM

pianomomma on May 16, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I’m wondering if the skywriter he hired see’s his fee for service as wasteful. I wonder if the companies who lease him space for his plane, service his plane and sell him fuel see his payments as wasteful.

Wendya on May 16, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Is there a video of the planes doing the skywriting? If so, the kickstart got their money’s worth because they have a great stunt flying film. If not, that guy should be slapped with a cold tuna repeatedly.

CitizenEgg on May 16, 2013 at 4:40 PM

“Illiterate?… Write us for help!”

Jack Deth on May 16, 2013 at 5:53 PM