Green Room

Would You Believe The Administration Got Phone Records of The House Of Representatives?

posted at 8:12 pm on May 15, 2013 by

That’s the revelation made by California Congressman Devin Nunes, who sits on the House Ways And Means Committee on Hugh Hewitt’s Show Wednesday night. Here’s the key part of that transcript:

HH: The idea that this might be a Geithner-Axelrod plan, and by that, the sort of intimation, Henry II style, will no one rid me of this turbulent priest, will no one rid me of these turbulent Tea Parties, that might have just been a hint, a shift of an eyebrow, a change in the tone of voice. That’s going to take a long time to get to. I don’t trust the Department of Justice on this. Do you, Congressman Nunes?

DN: No, I absolutely do not, especially after this wiretapping incident, essentially, of the House of Representative. I don’t think people are focusing on the right thing when they talk about going after the AP reporters. The big problem that I see is that they actually tapped right where I’m sitting right now, the Cloak Room.

HH: Wait a minute, this is news to me.

DN: The Cloak Room in the House of Representatives.

HH: I have no idea what you’re talking about.

DN: So when they went after the AP reporters, right? Went after all of their phone records, they went after the phone records, including right up here in the House Gallery, right up from where I’m sitting right now. So you have a real separation of powers issue that did this really rise to the level that you would have to get phone records that would, that would most likely include members of Congress, because as you know…

HH: Wow.

DN: …members of Congress talk to the press all the time.

HH: I did not know that, and that is a stunner.

DN: Now that is a separation of powers issue here, Hugh.

HH: Sure.

DN: And it’s a freedom of press issue. And now you’ve got the IRS going after people. So these things are starting to cascade one upon the other, and you have the White House pretending like they’re in the clouds like it’s not their issue somehow.

Exit question: I’m sure mainstream media, and the other two branches of government, see no problem whatsoever in secret records searches between the two branches, right? No separation of powers issue here. Heh. Can’t wait to see if this gets picked up tomorrow.

Update (Ed): Headline changed for accuracy.  Also edited final paragraph for same reason.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Notice it was not of the Senate (in the hands of Democrats) but the House, in the hands of Obama’s opposition party.

Legislative and Executive Powers: Separate for a Reason

This gives the story legal legs.

65droptop on May 15, 2013 at 8:16 PM

So, anyone thinking that the reason the Obama gave so many redundant speeches telling people that they had to do everything in their power to win was really about giving friendly bureaucrats marching orders for things he couldn’t legally tell them to do?

Count to 10 on May 15, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Really, Devin Nunes? FAIL!

Way to put another extremist on a pedestal.

If this really happened please find a credible source not an unknown nutter. If this is true it is clearly an impeachable breech. But that won’t happen with clowns leading the brigade.

Capitalist Hog on May 15, 2013 at 8:21 PM

At your request, Capitalist Hog:

“It was a very large number of records that were obtained, including phone records from Hartford, New York, Washington, from the U.S. House of Representatives and elsewhere where AP has bureaus. It included home and cellphone numbers from a number of AP reporters,” Schulz says.

From NPR’s site:

65droptop on May 15, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Yep, Nunes is effective, which is why the reprobate can’t abide it.

tom daschle concerned on May 15, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Getting phone numbers and tapping phones are different things.

Ted Torgerson on May 15, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Handgenade meet King Putt.

Missilengr on May 15, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Why isnt this front page news? Oh never mind the lovers spat between Obama and the MSM is over and theyve kissed and made up.

neyney on May 15, 2013 at 8:38 PM

if this is true it is clearly an impeachable breech. But that won’t happen with clowns leading the brigade.

Capitalist Hog on May 15, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Paging rogerb.

MontanaMmmm on May 15, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Ted Torgerson on May 15, 2013 at 8:36 PM

I agree. I don’t know why DOJ would need to know how many times AP talked to anyone in the Cloak Room since it’s used by all them and the reporter could have been talking to anyone. So while I’m not really offended, why bother? I guess it was just part of the dump.

Cindy Munford on May 15, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Getting phone numbers and tapping phones are different things.

Ted Torgerson on May 15, 2013 at 8:36 PM

And neither of them good. The information from either can be used politically — and who doubts that the LightWorker and LightSubWorkers would fail to?

65droptop on May 15, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Capitalist Hog on May 15, 2013 at 8:21 PM

You seem upset.

Cindy Munford on May 15, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Getting phone numbers and tapping phones are different things.

Ted Torgerson on May 15, 2013 at 8:36 PM

In the old days, yes. Are you really sure they can’t pull those phone calls back from some NSA hard drive nowadays?

TexasDan on May 15, 2013 at 8:41 PM

If that happened Obama will become the 3rd president to have been impeached.

NotCoach on May 15, 2013 at 8:41 PM

I dont care if he is bloody impeached, I care if he is removed from office…

Impeached does not mean squat..

Tilly on May 15, 2013 at 8:48 PM

If this is true it is clearly an impeachable breech.

Capitalist Hog on May 15, 2013 at 8:21 PM

“Reliable” source(NPR) has been provided. Do you stand by your words?

MadisonConservative on May 15, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Somebody has got to type it: How Nixonian!

ExpressoBold on May 15, 2013 at 8:55 PM

It’s called traffic analysis. Even if they have nothing but call records, no call content, they can learn a lot just by mapping out who called whom, how often, and when, compared with events, publication dates, speeches, etc.

If someone in Congress is talking to the AP, traffic analysis can figure it out. This is a big deal.

NeighborhoodCatLady on May 15, 2013 at 8:56 PM

This guy is kind of a nut ball, but I like visiting him once in a while… he has a good point…

What kind of leak is there that the DOJ needs to be able to get phone records from AP journalists and the House of Representatives without either Obama or Holder knowing about it?

ninjapirate on May 15, 2013 at 9:00 PM

The Democrats have to be cringing at the thought that Obama could be the second Democrat president in a row to be impeached. And that the last Democrat president NOT to be impeached was simply incompetent and lasted for only one term.

Aitch748 on May 15, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Does this mean Republicans were leaking to the AP from the cloak room? I was wondering why this AP story would break. Maybe it ends bad for Republicans and the puppet dance between AP and the Obama administration is to give AP deniability about source protecting.

How stupid does a Republican have to be to leak anything to the Associated Press?

All I know is that everything ends in a bad and demoralizing way for conservatives. It is all part of the plan.

Buddahpundit on May 15, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Capitalist Hog on May 15, 2013 at 8:21 PM

BREACH, not breech.

Definition of BREACH

1: infraction or violation of a law, obligation, tie, or standard

2a: a broken, ruptured, or torn condition or area

b: a gap (as in a wall) made by battering

3a: a break in accustomed friendly relations

b: a temporary gap in continuity : hiatus

Definition of BREECH

1 a: short pants covering the hips and thighs and fitting snugly at the lower edges at or just below the knee

b: pants

2 a: the hind end of the body : buttocks

b: breech presentation; also : a fetus that is presented breech first

3 a: the part of a firearm at the rear of the barrel

Resist We Much on May 15, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Count to 10 on May 15, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I was thinking the other day that every time he derisively mentioned some private citizen in a speech (which in itself is unprecedented) it was a signal/code to audit and harass this particular enemy of the state by any means necessary.

Buy Danish on May 15, 2013 at 9:59 PM

I almost can’t wait to log on tomorrow and see what new Barky debacle has been exposed.

Bishop on May 15, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Bishop on May 15, 2013 at 10:02 PM

I’m willing to bet this half-drunk cup of cold coffee that we’ll see Michelle dragged out within a week on some sort of campaign to rehabilitate his image.

TexasDan on May 15, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Definition of BREACH

2a: a broken, ruptured, or torn condition or area

Definition of BREECH

3 a: the part of a firearm at the rear of the barrel

Resist We Much on May 15, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Ah, yes. The double powder charge caused a breach of the breech.

Or…

Definition of BREACH

2a: a broken, ruptured, or torn condition or area

Definition of BREECH

2 a: the hind end of the body : buttocks

Resist We Much on May 15, 2013 at 9:47 PM

The current scandals have caused a breach in BO’s breech.

climbnjump on May 15, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Not surprised.

Every office BO has ever won involved cheating, ballot stuffing/suppression and lying. There is no reason to think that he knows any other way to operate.

And he consistently leaves misery and disaster in his wake.

landlines on May 16, 2013 at 12:15 AM

The progressives are going full-blown communism….

redguy on May 16, 2013 at 12:57 AM

What an outrage!

I bet Boehner will ‘tut-tut’ about this for nearly two whole days.

And of course the minority leader will defend it as an unfortunate necess8ity of nationsl security.

LegendHasIt on May 16, 2013 at 12:59 AM

If true, that’s absolutely an impeachable offense.

Or do the liberal talking points still apply here? It’s good that the executive office investigates the legislature for crimes against the state?

“Whatever laws we make are constitutional.” – Nancy Pelosi.

Skywise on May 16, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Can’t wait to see who Roberts, Alito, Scalia, and Thomas are talking to.

Another Drew on May 16, 2013 at 2:44 AM

“Reliable” source(NPR) has been provided. Do you stand by your words?

MadisonConservative on May 15, 2013 at 8:51 PM

And you’re quoting whom?Now, buttcyst, show me the when I acted like one of you cowards and bent myself backwards to walk away from something I said. I have been known to apologize but only if I hurt somebody. Aside from that no retraction, only corrections. Yes I stand by my words — always.

Thank you for prompt reply. Green Room posts are easy to ignore and forget about.
There are a couple things going on here. We all need to distinguish between phones being tapped and phone records being obtained.

I honestly don’t see any indication in this citation that says Congress was tapped. Phone records being scrutinized is still way out of bounds. But tapping would be worse — much worse but still legal.

One way that people could end up trapped/recorded would be by calling any of those AP bureaus. If a congressperson called an AP reporter whose line was tapped, they were trapped and likely folded into the investigation. The problem is that we don’t have enough information on the tap-parameters. Another problem — wiretapping effing reporters!

I have been to the Hartford AP bureau. If I commented about my experience at the Courant.

It is obvious how many of you are drooling over this waiting to slam me. No big. If I am wrong I will slam myself. For instance, check that link and search the term “breech.” FAIL! That was no typo.

The distinction between tapping and obtaining records is important. If Obama planted bugs on the Hill, he’s done. It’s that simple. If a few reps were embarrassed by leaking information…they’re done. The point is info needs to be gathered and parsed outside of the cauldron of BS and partisanship. This affects all Americans.

Also, if this has legs, why use such a sappy rep to push it? Why is this on HH and not Fox News? Smells like BS. Drop this line and focus on the real threat to your rights, fear.

Keep this in mind. Congress subjected your email and phones to warrantless wiretaps? Any person now complaining who voted for these same actions being used against citizens is a hypocrite. The same justification is used by both sides to take away your rights — your safety or the kids.

It’s sad bit of irony to watch people who are willing to arm themselves to defend the Second Amendment fail to find the words to defend the First.

Definition of BREACH
Definition of BREECH
Resist We Much on May 15, 2013 at 9:47 PM

I’m an idiot. Save this link and use it against me.

TexasDan on May 15, 2013 at 8:41 PM

You’re an idiot.

You seem upset.

Cindy Munford on May 15, 2013 at 8:40 PM

You seem calming. (brownchickenbrowncow plays in the background)

Capitalist Hog on May 16, 2013 at 2:58 AM

“Reliable” source(NPR) has been provided. Do you stand by your words?

MadisonConservative on May 15, 2013 at 8:51 PM

And you’re quoting whom?Now, buttcyst, show me the when . . .

MadisonConservative was referring to my posting above his, where I supplied both a quote and a link.

And he refrained from invective.

65droptop on May 16, 2013 at 3:14 AM