Green Room

Important news: hipsters are annoying and unpopular

posted at 3:32 pm on May 14, 2013 by

Hipsters, who are basically hippies with money, aren’t very popular. You’ve seen them at Occupy Wall Street rallies complaining about “the man” while they tap into their trust funds and text on their new iPhones. More from Red Alert Politics:

Americans just aren’t head over heels for hipsters – those independent thinking, indie rock-loving, vintage clothes-wearing Bohemians often found in places like the Williamsburg neighborhood of Brooklyn.

A new poll by Public Policy Polling found that only 16 percent of Americans have a favorable opinion of the subculture, while just 23 percent of Americans believe that hipsters make a positive cultural contribution to society.

Republicans are even less enamored by the Urban Outfitters-wearing, progressive-thinking subculture, with a mere eight percent of them having a favorable opinion of hipsters. Moreover, six in ten Republicans believe that hipsters “soullessly appropriate culture tropes from the past for their own ironic amusement.”

Americans’ opinion of hipsters also decreases dramatically with age. Four in ten Millennials have a favorable opinion of hipsters, who largely make up the members of the subculture. On the contrary, only six percent of senior citizens have a favorable opinion of hipsters today.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I’d say Bishop, but I’m trying to be, like, ironic, man.

JimLennon on May 14, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Important news: hipsters are annoying and unpopular

Old news.

ericdijon on May 14, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I am not.

Oh Wait…

LegendHasIt on May 14, 2013 at 3:44 PM

We other four in ten think they’re poosies.

cbenoistd on May 14, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Like, I have this poll that says America loves hipsters, you’ve probably never heard of it before

JackForce on May 14, 2013 at 3:46 PM

It’s impossible to take seriously some rich liberal telling me how terrible is the world.

Liam on May 14, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Of course they’re annoying. They’re a big chunk of Obama’s base.

Kataklysmic on May 14, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Like drinking PBR while wearing a fedora, bolo tie, and Chuck Taylors?

Nick_Angel on May 14, 2013 at 3:51 PM

“I’ve come around on hipsters. It takes a lot of courage to all wear the same hat.”

tvor03 on May 14, 2013 at 4:08 PM

It takes a lot of courage to all wear the same hat.”

tvor03 on May 14, 2013 at 4:08 PM

..or really small heads. *rimshot*

Mimzey on May 14, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I hated hipsters before there were hipsters.

rbj on May 14, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Obviously not.

CurtZHP on May 14, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Jazz Shaw hardest hit.

Ted Torgerson on May 14, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Hating hipsters is sooooo mainstream….

Seriously, it’s like people with no real individuality trying to fake up some individuality. But trying too hard to be an individual is like trying too hard to be cool.

Sekhmet on May 14, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I hated hipsters before there were it was hip to hate hipsters.

rbj on May 14, 2013 at 4:25 PM

FIFY

TedInATL on May 14, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I keep telling the kids… If your best tool for expressing your individuality is the way you look, you’re pretty shallow.

samuelrylander on May 14, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Lena Dunham hardest hit.

terryannonline on May 14, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Sekhmet on May 14, 2013 at 4:40 PM

They are extremely judgmental also. If you like anything in pop culture they hate on you.

terryannonline on May 14, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Yeah, they are annoying, but if the Rubironic has been crossed, from unintentionally comedic to annoying, it’s really not that hard to make a one hundred and forty two pound, skinny jeans-wearing, tempeh-chewer GTFO of wherever.

M240H on May 14, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Lena Dunham hardest hit.

terryannonline on May 14, 2013 at 5:11 PM

wait, is that a real person? I thought it was Michael Moore tarted up for a Friday night.

trubble on May 14, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I was a kid in the early 90s but is it just me or are these hipsters basically remind me of the grunge culture.

Man the early 90s sucked.

terryannonline on May 14, 2013 at 5:29 PM

So why are 95% of the characters in television commercials hipsters nowadays? Everyone can’t find them as annoying as I do.

Kensington on May 14, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Man the early 90s sucked.

terryannonline on May 14, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I dunno, man. I miss the late 80s and early 90s, since most of our indie and sub-mainstream rock giants raged against The Man, in complete realization that the left had become The Man, since the hippies becoming The Man hadn’t been that long ago in 1989.

These days, our rebels preach unconditional love of The Man. That’s so neither rock nor roll.

mintycrys on May 14, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Man the early 90s sucked.

terryannonline on May 14, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I was in high school in the early 90s. I see some elements of grunge, but the average early 1990s grunge rocker could easily wipe the floor with a 2010s hipster in a fight.

Every time.

JimLennon on May 14, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Hipster is a very distinct lifestyle.

Wear thick-framed glasses.
Wear a beanie or bandanna.
Possibly wear a vest.
Maybe a handlebar mustache.
Pickle every imaginable vegetable.
Lots of triangles.
Everything is “ironic”.
Get your clothes from thrift shops (points for ones nobody has ever heard of) or Urban Outfitters but never tell anyone where you got it. The less you paid for it the better.
Cats. Lots of cats.
Tumblr … constantly.
Hang out in a coffee shop.

Worst insult is someone complaining that your favorite band is too mainstream.

A hipster wet dream is finding an awesome coffee shop that is absolutely great but nobody has ever discovered before but that is so ironic because then there would be nobody there to hang out with.

Hipsters will never EVER admit to being hipsters. That would imply that you are a herd follower and hipsters never EVER follow the crowd, even though they all do the same things, hang out in the same places, wear the same stuff, etc.

crosspatch on May 14, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Oh, and a fedora and a scarf will help, too.

crosspatch on May 14, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Hipsters seem to be a cross between Hippies and Yuppies.

Count to 10 on May 14, 2013 at 7:17 PM

crosspatch on May 14, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Sounds gay. No, seriously, it sounds like the very essence of the gay lifestyle.

Count to 10 on May 14, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Another hipster.

Skinny jeans
Plaid shirt
Thick frame glasses
Beanie hat.

crosspatch on May 14, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Oh, and always has access to nutella. Drinks Pabst.

crosspatch on May 14, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Wait. I like indie rock. I like indie movies. Wait.

bmmg39 on May 14, 2013 at 7:56 PM

The males are all beta … no doubt about it and the females are all questionable.

What a waste of humankind.

ORrighty on May 14, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Whenever I see some pathetic beta sporting hippie rags and a ponytail I usually walk past them saying:

“‘Scuse me, Miss.”

viking01 on May 14, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Hipsters seem to be a cross between Hippies and Yuppies.

Count to 10 on May 14, 2013 at 7:17 PM

All the worst qualities of each.

GWB on May 14, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Hipsters: Gen Y wanna-be Bohemians…

Too bad for them, no one told them that both suck duck eggs…

BTW they’re not just in Brooklyn, Katie, they’re mincing their skinny jean asses uptown to The Bronx too….mostly Inwood & Mott Haven…

Not TOO far uptown, of course…:snort:

BlaxPac on May 15, 2013 at 12:52 AM

I love hipsters. They overpay for all the vintage clothing I buy at yard sales.

Capitalism.

portlandon on May 15, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Ironic thing is that the whole hipster thing has become so mainstream.

crosspatch on May 15, 2013 at 3:34 AM

I love hipsters. They overpay for all the vintage clothing I buy at yard sales.

Capitalism.

portlandon on May 15, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Same here. They have no price sensitivity, it’s great.

DangerHighVoltage on May 15, 2013 at 4:08 AM

Meh.

Punch a hipster. They’re today’s hippies.

Jack Deth on May 15, 2013 at 4:10 AM

Man the early 90s sucked.

terryannonline on May 14, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I was in high school then. I miss that time. And I see almost nothing of grunge in hipsters.

Nick_Angel on May 15, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Hipsters? I liked their first album until everybody started liking it.

Akzed on May 15, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Man the early 90s sucked.
terryannonline on May 14, 2013 at 5:29 PM

YES. You are so right about everything you posted here.

bluegill on May 15, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Hipsters ruin everything

Sterling Holobyte on May 15, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Urgh, I have the misfortune of living in a neighborhood in Omaha that’s totally infested by these people. Bright side: my neighborhood is a sad place today because our Democrat mayor got wiped out at the polls last night.

LukeinNE on May 15, 2013 at 11:38 AM