Green Room

What the AFL-CIO Can Do for Veterans

posted at 12:20 pm on May 13, 2013 by

AFL-CIO president Richard Trumka is upset that Walmart is offering jobs to returning military veterans.

“After facing enemies abroad, is an $8.81 an hour part-time job the best we can offer returning veterans?” asks Trumka.

He’s right. Veterans deserve more than $8.81 an hour. And I know a place where they can do much better, get amazing benefits and not have to work nearly as hard.

How about earning $29,000 as an intern?

$33,000 as a cafeteria clerk?

$39,000 as an “evening cleaner?”

$54,000 as a general office clerk?

$59,500 as an office machine operator?

$72,000 as a web assistant?

$73,000 as a security guard?

$77,000 as a driver/general assistant?

$90,000 as a cook?

$96,000 as a car wash manager?

And all that is before we even begin to talk about the professional positions. Veterans, don’t settle for Walmart. Head over to AFL-CIO headquarters in Washington, DC and start living the good life.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Bishop?

Marcola on May 13, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Good life in Washington DC on less than $100K? I’ve heard from Congressmen it’s not possible…

Seriously, $96K for a car wash manager? THAT boggles the mind.

Marcola on May 13, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Seriously, $96K for a car wash manager? THAT boggles the mind.

Well if it’s in Washington D.C., that’s like, dog dollars. Divide by three to get people dollars.

No Truce With Kings on May 13, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I started at 21k a year as a police officer. By the time I retired, I was at top wage bracket of 52k a year. I see had I wanted I could of got a huge bump in pay and make 73k a year as a security guard. Hell why even start as the police, when that pay is available as a security guard?!?

Conservative4Ever on May 13, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I know what

AFL-CIO president Richard Trumka

can do for this veteran …

M240H on May 13, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Just like Mel Gibson suggested to the English in Braveheart, every vet should bend over and trumka should be made to kiss the arse of those who paid the price to allow him to be a douchbag……

crosshugger on May 13, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Conservative4Ever on May 13, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Honestly (and I worked in security in the Northeast) the only way you’ll make even HALF that kind of coin in Security (starting out)is to work in areas that would make Benghazi look like Aruba.

There’s good money to be made in private security, but that’s mostly because it ISN”T as heavily unionized, thus YOU get to keep your money, instead of shelling it over to wanna-be tough guy hacks like Trumka & Co.

BlaxPac on May 14, 2013 at 2:16 AM

I know what AFL-CIO president Richard Trumkacan do for this veteran …

M240H on May 13, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Does it involve you bending over, and his lips?

GWB on May 14, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM
Top Pick

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Top Pick

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus

Biased Americans see media as biased.

Tough times down on the liberal ranch

Will Nancy Pelosi survive this latest Dem disaster?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 22, 2017 8:41 AM

Eat quick, before it’s gone.

Slow your roll, boss

“I’m bothered by the lack of emerging evidence…”

FIrst look at the Senate health bill

John Sexton Jun 21, 2017 9:21 PM