Green Room

Video: Shortage of pizza makers in … Italy?

posted at 10:48 am on May 11, 2013 by

This is a curious story, and not just for the obvious irony:

Italy has a massive unemployment problem. So why do they need immigrants to flood into the country in order to meet the pizza demand? Is this “a job Italians won’t do,” or is it a sign of perverse incentives that make being unemployed more attractive than working in a pizzeria? Is it because it costs too much to hire, for tax and regulatory reasons? I’m genuinely puzzled, and not just because my first job was working in a pizza shop.  It’s not that awful to make pizzas.

By the way, I agree with the American tourists interviewed in the spot.  With only a couple of exceptions, the pizza in Italy (or Rome, at least) is superior to most of what one finds in the US.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Pizza may well be superior in Italy, but in it’s present form it is most assuredly an American invention.

A crude version of flat bread baked with some cheese and herbs was known as far back as Republican Rome, but it took Americans to make it as a crust with a rim, cover with tomato sauce, and add pieces of mozzarella.

Most of the common pizza I found in Naples (the armpit of Italy due to it’s smell and lack of even 2nd world sanitation systems) was some form of thin bread with a rim, holding melted butter, olive oil and garlic. Occasionally a bit of cheese was added if you asked nicely and appeared to have money.

The “rise” of any decent pizza in Italy has it’s base in the increase in American tourists following the American occupation after WWII.

TKindred on May 11, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Wow. I’m hungry.

ExpressoBold on May 11, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Fightin words, ED, fightin words…

abobo on May 11, 2013 at 1:00 PM

My 17 yr old son makes pizzas at Little Caesar’s.

itsnotaboutme on May 11, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I love pizza. Love Italian food in general. I’ve been to Italy several times. Never had a pizza there that wasn’t great. In fact, I never had any food there that wasn’t great. I’m fairly certain I’d walk out though if I saw that an Egyptian was making it (unless he was wearing a cross to indicate that he was a Copt). I do that here in the US too. I make no apologies for it. I won’t buy food that I know is prepared by a Muslim.

Meanwhile, here in the metro area where I live, I can’t find a decent pizza to save my life. Of course, I usually stick to delivery. I don’t go out to eat that much, so maybe that’s not a fair comparison. I never had a pizza delivered in Italy.

WhatSlushfund on May 11, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Wow, that plain cheese pizza looks marvelous. I want it.

The Rogue Tomato on May 11, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Well, they sure as hell didn’t go to Chicago.

Bring it.

CurtZHP on May 11, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I never found an edible pizza–let alone a superior one–anywhere in Europe.

ElectricPhase on May 11, 2013 at 7:49 PM

TKindred on May 11, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Tomatoes were discovered in the New World so the original Italian pizza could not have had tomato sauce if they’d wanted it.

WhatSlushfund on May 11, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Order pepperoni, sausage, or Canadian bacon. No Muslim would be caught dead handling pork. As for your inability to find good pizza, you should give let us know what metro area you live in. Perhaps we could provide some suggestions.

Odysseus on May 11, 2013 at 9:20 PM

CNN reporters resign over retracted story

John Sexton Jun 26, 2017 9:21 PM
Top Pick

“The individuals all stated that they accepted responsibility and wanted to resign.”

Federalism’s greatest champion is now …

Ed Morrissey Jun 26, 2017 8:41 PM
Top Pick

“In the end, we’re a democracy.”

“Almost all controversial speech harms people, upsets or offends them…”

Obama: Back home again in Indonesia

Andrew Malcolm Jun 26, 2017 7:21 PM

The call to prayer and eating dog.

Testing the waters.

“primarily because the penalty for not having insurance would be eliminated.”

“If I were a Seattle lawmaker, I would be thinking hard about the $15 an hour phase-in.”

Days of future past

“Not only are taxpayers footing the bill, but people are dying unnecessarily because of this.”

Israel settles who can stand where at the Western Wall

Andrew Malcolm Jun 26, 2017 3:21 PM

Women to the right, men to the left.

Look on the bright side. There’s less snow in the summer

Big win … but for how long?

“Several Russian cities have unveiled monuments to Stalin in recent months.”

Massive disappointment

Emboldened conservative wing?

It’s more about the powers of the Presidency at this point

A second look at paper ballots?

Jazz Shaw Jun 26, 2017 10:41 AM

Low tech solutions to high tech crime

No extra beatings required, thanks

A “”massive, massive f*** up…”

This is totally amazing!

McConnell may not get his wish on health care vote

Taylor Millard Jun 25, 2017 7:31 PM

Senate leadership wants a vote this week, others say, “Negative, Ghost Rider.”

Helping others without the government.

“…the reality is the reality.”

These kiosks don’t make $15 per hour or need benefits

Going for the record

“We will answer them on the field”

Taking it to the limit

Sunday morning talking heads

Jazz Shaw Jun 25, 2017 8:01 AM

Health care and tweeting and Russia, oh my!

Will they stay or will they go?

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”