Green Room

Video: “Ender’s Game” trailer

posted at 4:37 pm on May 9, 2013 by

I haven’t read the book and I’m not sure I’m nerdy enough to appreciate the movie, as nerdy as I am. But it’s not a superhero flick, and that’s all that matters. Two thumbs up.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

You are missing out on the book, Allah. Ender’s Game is a classic for a very good reason; not because of the sci-fi itself; but because of the issues and humanity/what it means to be a child stuff.

The entire series is well done, in my opinion.

Vanceone on May 9, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Harrison Ford, such a bad actor.

sentinelrules on May 9, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Vanceone on May 9, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I agree about the book. I read it years ago and remember it being a very good one.

peski on May 9, 2013 at 4:47 PM

ruined. I hope no one ever tries to make a Neuromancer.

tom daschle concerned on May 9, 2013 at 4:50 PM

The entire series is well done, in my opinion.

Vanceone on May 9, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Indeed, I loved the book.

changer1701 on May 9, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Ender is the first book in a very good trilogy. Surprised it has not made it to the big screen before now.

guinneach on May 9, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Wait…This isn’t Robotech, The Movie?

Capt_Nemo on May 9, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I haven’t read the other books but Ender’s Game is something I read once almost every year. It’s a quick read and highly enjoyable.

Ukiah on May 9, 2013 at 4:54 PM

As good as the first book is, it is really only a setup for what follows. It’s really as far away from “super hero” as you can get, but not in an anti-hero direction.

NeighborhoodCatLady on May 9, 2013 at 4:57 PM

You must read the book, AP. Must.

The whole series is quite fascinating, but Ender’s Game is brilliant. The ethical questions raised throughout the story are unforgiving, as they should be. They completely drive the development of Ender as a man and leader.

Totally worth it.

nukemhill on May 9, 2013 at 4:58 PM

the book is about leadership, loss of childhood innocence, ethics in warfare

it’s a quick easy read, very enjoyable

commodore on May 9, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Literally the best book written in the last 30 years. Anybody who hasn’t read it, do it before the movie comes out!

Nessuno on May 9, 2013 at 5:03 PM

guinneach on May 9, 2013 at 4:51 PM

The author, Orson Scott Card, was very picky with scripts and producers that wanted to make the movie. He originally pretty much demanded that they not change anything he considered significant.

In the end, though, he realized his demands meant it would never get made. So for this movie, expect a lot of changes. I’m not sure what all of them will be, but the kids are obviously a lot older, and the rumor is that they’ve downplayed somehow the kid-on-kid violence, which is essential to the book. I’m not sure how the latter choice will affect the movie, but I have my finger’s crossed.

Nessuno on May 9, 2013 at 5:09 PM

1) Great book.
2) Harrison Ford’s voiceover sounds like it was dictated while he was on the john.

JeremiahJohnson on May 9, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I haven’t read the book…

…Why?

BigGator5 on May 9, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Great book. Movie will no doubt be lacking. Still waiting for so many sc-fi classic’s like Rendezvous With Rama, Foundation, Caves of Steel, Forever War, etc.

dddave on May 9, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Short stories are the best but hard to write I think. Takes real punch which this one has.

CW20 on May 9, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Still waiting for a Word and the Void series of movies from Terry Brooks, Shanarrah is too Tolkien-ish but Word/Void is fantastic. Running with The Demon, A Knight of The Word, and Angel Fire East. Now please,

superdave on May 9, 2013 at 6:35 PM

1) Great book.

JeremiahJohnson on May 9, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Same could be said about Blade Runner.

tom daschle concerned on May 9, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Great Book Allah. Take a vacation day and read it because once you get into the book, you won’t put it down until you finish it. One of the best triologies and subsequent spin offs I have had the pleasure of reading.

PrettyD_Vicious on May 9, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Pretty much any thread on any entertainment site about this movie is now dominated by activists bashing the author, who is Mormon and believes in marriage as between a man and a woman, for being hateful towards gays.

MikeknaJ on May 9, 2013 at 6:54 PM

I’d like to see some Terry Prachett books made into movies. The stories are a riot!

Kraken on May 9, 2013 at 7:17 PM

I recommend reading it, too, then the rest of them, especially Ender’s Shadow

Ender’s Game is a required novel for our ninth grade English students.

Bob's Kid on May 9, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Kraken on May 9, 2013 at 7:17 PM

There are at least a couple. The Color of Magic, Hogfather, and Going Postal all were decent, and I think might all be on NetFlix.

Toastradamus on May 9, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I guess I’ll be the odd man out and say the book was…OK.

Another one I heard and always read raves about was ‘The Forever War’.

Again, a good read, but…meh.

catmman on May 9, 2013 at 7:48 PM

It is a great book. If you haven’t read it you’re missing out.

Blaise on May 9, 2013 at 7:51 PM

The novel is a science-fiction classic.

The movie? please don’t suck please don’t suck please don’t suck please don’t suck

The Schaef on May 9, 2013 at 7:52 PM

So excited…

DTTS on May 9, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Can’t possibly be anywhere near as good as the book…but perhaps it will be good enough to hold our attention and entertain us as a well done movie…Hope so because there’s some other Ender books available for the sequels so they don’t have to come up with dumb “franchise” scripts.

camaraderie on May 9, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Genius wonder-kid stories always tick me off. Might be the implicit “This guy is smarter than you, so you are a failure” in it. I tried reading Ender’s Game, but couldn’t get past the obnoxious beginning.

Count to 10 on May 9, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Ender’s Game has been my favorite book since my 5th grade teacher gave me a used copy (which I still own) – I turn 32 next week, so, that’s a decently long amount of time.

Allah – Read the book. You will like it but not love it because at this point it will be so overhyped that it can only let you down. However, it is good enough that it will only let you down a little.

As for the movie, I’ll watch it and finally understand how my dad felt watching Lord of the Rings. I came out of the theater thinking it was a decent movie. He came out lamenting all the ‘key’ scenes that had been left out. Of course, it’s highly unlikely that the Ender’s Game movie will be nearly as good as the Lord of the Rings movie…..still, one can hope.

JadeNYU on May 9, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Read.

The.

Book.

It’s not just a science fiction classic. It’s a true classic.

It will take you half an evening to read. It may leave you shaken for a week. And when you are done …

Originally, it was a “short” story. Then Card had an idea for a book, Speaker for the Dead. He tried to imagine what sort of person could become the Speaker, and he realized that only someone who had lived what Ender Wiggen lived that could be that Speaker. And so Card turned the first story into a novel, and that novel won the Hugo, as did Speaker for the Dead.

Stories don’t win Hugos because they are nerd food. They win Hugos because they are tremendous stories that use well the tools that “speculative” fiction gives them.

njcommuter on May 9, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Here are two key quotes from the story. First, Mazer Rackham:

I am your enemy, the first one you’ve ever had who was smarter than you. There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the only rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. I am your enemy from now on. From now on I am your teacher. I will devise the strategy of your army, and you will learn to be quick and discover what tricks the enemy has for you. Remember, boy. From now on the enemy is more clever than you. From now on the enemy is stronger than you. From now on you are always about to lose.

Second, Ender:

I don’t care if I pass your test, I don’t care if I follow your rules. If you can cheat, so can I. I won’t let you beat me unfairly – I’ll beat you unfairly first.

njcommuter on May 9, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Card is a huge conservative, and used to have a really great blog on current events that he kept up. Don’t know if he still does.

winoceros on May 9, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Kraken on May 9, 2013 at 7:17 PM

The Colour of Magic/The Light Fantastic

The Hogfather

Going Postal

And I believe there are more on the way.

Left Coast Right Mind on May 9, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Left Coast Right Mind on May 9, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Toastradamus on May 9, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Damn, I need to get out more…

Kraken on May 9, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Count to 10 on May 9, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Guess what, there are a LOT of people smarter than you, you might want to unwad your undergarments and deal with it Mr Beta.

winoceros on May 9, 2013 at 10:14 PM

For my 2 cents, I really hope Ender does well because Ender’s Shadow REALLY needs to be made!

airmonkey on May 9, 2013 at 11:33 PM

njcommuter on May 9, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Our politicians who are conservatives need to be more like Ender. He understands that he didn’t make the rules, but if the enemy isn’t going to abide by them, then no way in hell is he going to. Don’t play a losing hand.

njrob on May 9, 2013 at 11:38 PM

njrob on May 9, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Cruz is your Ender…

SauerKraut537 on May 9, 2013 at 11:50 PM

I always thought “Treason” was OSC’s best work, and he wrote the original version of it when he was in his teens.

John the Libertarian on May 10, 2013 at 12:01 AM

You must have a fairly narrow definition of super-hero to think a movie about a genetically engineered super soldier is not about one.

Does it have to come from a comic book?

jhffmn on May 10, 2013 at 6:00 AM

airmonkey on May 9, 2013 at 11:33 PM

You miss my point. He creates an impossibly smart character, by which he implies that all realistically intelligent people are failures — and doesn’t understand intelligence well enough to even make it believable. For all that I like Timothy Zahn, he makes the same aggravating mistake with his Thron character.

Count to 10 on May 10, 2013 at 6:52 AM

I read the short story first.

The novel had too much added stuff to really attract me to it as a story… OSC was obviously re-setting the stage and the good parts now were stuck in a framework where the parts didn’t connect so well.

When OSC said that they needed to trim the novel to do a movie and couldn’t figure out what to do, I just slapped my forehead and shook my head: use the short story! But that was obviously far too simple and if you wanted a series of movies, you have to go with the book… very little SF that I’ve read first as a short story and then as a novel has actually worked as a novel. Asimov, he could do that. Gordon R. Dickson could to but only once. David Drake did it a couple of times and just got mediocre novels. Everyone else I’ve read, from Poul Anderson to Roger Zelazny just has problems when they break up a well crafted short story to expand and novelize it.

I’ll stick with Jerry Pournelle: if you want a good movie from written material, go with a short story, not a novel. A good novel loses too much in the transition while a tightly written short story eases over almost scene for scene, keeps its coherence, drops little out and can even play up a sub-plot the author let grow fallow to economize the length of the story.

ajacksonian on May 10, 2013 at 7:28 AM

Ender’s Game is one of my favorite books because of Scott Card’s careful treatment of the human issues concerning war and stolen childhood. However, the subsequent books in the series devolve into preachy moralism that smacks of enviro whackiness and the “can’t we all just get along” type of simplistic thinking. I would like to see the film, if only to see how faithful the director is to Card’s text.

College Prof on May 10, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Card wrote another, I believe called The Lost Boys, that I remember liking too.

changer1701 on May 10, 2013 at 9:07 AM

airmonkey on May 9, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Amen! I had never heard of the series until my daughter gave me a copy of Ender’s Shadow for father’s day a few years back. Thoroughly enjoyable book. Then I read Ender’s Game. I can’t decide now which book I like best. The moral issues raised through both books really hit you hard.

JSGreg3 on May 10, 2013 at 9:52 AM

the book was awesome and I cannot wait to see this movie!

taxed_in_IL on May 10, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Awesome book, read it multiple times as a kid and would read it again today; if you haven’t read it then you are missing out. I think I’ll take some of my kids to this because if the movie stays fairly true to the book there are some good messages for them in it.

Bishop on May 10, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I loved Ender’s Game, and Speaker for the Dead might be even better. It’s a totally different type of story, of course. The third book left me cold. So cold, in fact, that I could never force myself to pick up another, or in fact, read anything else by Card. It’s the “God Emperor of Dune” of the series, I think. I did eventually get past that in Dune, and it was worth it because book 5 is exceptional, and book 6 is at least in the neighborhood of books 2 & 3.

So, maybe this will inspire me to try the series again. We’ll see. Not sure if I can force myself through book three once more.

Chris of Rights on May 10, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Chris of Rights on May 10, 2013 at 10:44 AM

What issues did you have with the 3rd book? It seemed like Card fell in love with Chinese mysticism at the point, but it wasn’t a bad book. The 4th one was a decent read as well even if it did try to get metaphysical. Now if only we could find out who made the descolada.

I do think the Shadow series is superior to the Ender one with the exception of Ender’s Game.

njrob on May 10, 2013 at 11:12 AM