Green Room

Where have you gone, Sharyl Attkisson? Update: Video added

posted at 3:01 pm on May 8, 2013 by

When I settled down to listen and watch the House Oversight hearing on Benghazi today, I put the Twitter feed of CBS News’ Sharyl Attkisson up in a separate browser page.  Attkisson has proven herself to be one of the leading reporters on Benghazi, and I expected to get a lot of good context to the testimony in a real-time basis by keeping a close eye on her updates.  And I was right … for a half-hour or so.  At 12:38 pm ET, Attkisson posted this:

After that … nothing.  Not a word through the rest of the hearing, even though there were a number of explosive revelations provided by Gregory Hicks, Mark Thompson, and Eric Nordstrom.

Allahpundit wrote about CBS’ apparent unhappiness with Attkisson for her tireless journalism on Benghazi.  Did they pull her off the story?  I’ve submitted a question about her status through the CBS News website, and I’ll update this if any more information comes through.

Update, 5:57 pm: No activity so far on Sharyl’s Twitter feed, and no word back from CBS on my inquiry, although that might end up lost in the website’s response bureaucracy.  I’d note that the Dylan Byers piece at Politico that discussed the alleged mutual antagonism between CBS and Attkisson was posted at 11:52 am ET, just 16 minutes before Sharyl’s most recent tweet.  That could be a coincidence, but a look through the tweets before 12:08 looks like Attkisson was planning to live-tweet the entire hearing.

Update, 9:12 pm: Attkisson filed a report on tonight’s CBS News:

Good to see her on the story.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Sheryl Attkinson was immediately dispatched to a breaking story about grass growing in a remote part of Antarctica. No cell service or internet.

portlandon on May 8, 2013 at 3:16 PM

The MoT has apparently received new orders from the Campaign.

forest on May 8, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Same place Todd Starnes story about the Saudi in Boston?

UnderstandingisPower on May 8, 2013 at 3:30 PM

She had to leave suddenly after a call from her housekeeper saying there was a severed horse’s head in her bed.

Dexter_Alarius on May 8, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Re-education center. Where she will learn that good little journalists follow “The Narrative“, not actually report news (if they want to keep their jobs and kneecaps).

squint on May 8, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I hope she’s nowhere near Ft. Marcy Park.

BobMbx on May 8, 2013 at 3:45 PM

What a woman!

poppieseeds on May 8, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Is Hillary one of Sharyl Attkisson’s Twitter Followers?

wren on May 8, 2013 at 3:53 PM

She’s still MIA. Should we send out the crack rescue teams now?

BigGator5 on May 8, 2013 at 3:55 PM

As I said earlier…she better watch her backside.

d1carter on May 8, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Where have you gone, Sharyl Attkisson?

A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.

Mark1971 on May 8, 2013 at 4:19 PM

She has been flying too close to The Narrative…./

ted c on May 8, 2013 at 4:22 PM

The One has ordered CBS to can her…clearly.

krome on May 8, 2013 at 4:45 PM

She was practicing journalism, and we can’t have that.

changer1701 on May 8, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Free Sharyl Attkisson!

d1carter on May 8, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I reckon she’s in Room 101.

forest on May 8, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Tweet using #FreeSharyl if you’re on Twitter!!!

allanbourdius on May 8, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Again, the argument the help couldn’t get there in time is stupid. Did the terrorists email the White House their schedule showing how long the attack would last?

The attack was off and on for seven hours! In the last few the two men were killed. There is nothing in the rule books that say they had to quit.

How did they know the length of the attack? Must have been from this email.

To: Hillary

cc: Barack, Panetta, that spooky looking guy at the NSA

From: the bad guys

Re: Attack on 9/11/12 Benghazi

“Hey, Hill, how’s it hanging you old girl? Missed you at the last “Islam is a peaceful religion” mixer last month. Too bad, you are always the prettiest of the women there, of course there is only my five wives to compare to, and they have seen many hard rides on a camel and were often wet when done- if you get my meaning.

Any whoo…. Thought I would let you know our schedule. We are planning to attack your ambassador Steven tonight, starting around nine/nine thirty-ish, depending on traffic.

Could you make sure you don’t send any help. We really appreciate you reducing his security to make it easier for us. Now we can save bullets for other purposes like shooting Christians who won’t convert. Pesky buggers those faithful.

To give you a time frame, we are going to rampage for about an hour, burning and looting, then we are going to head over to the secret CIA annex down the street. (Secret…that’s just so funny. A bunch of white guys in 511 camo pants running around. You people I swear, sometimes you make me laugh so hard I almost choke on my figs!)

We are going to attack the annex for about seven hours off and on, then mortar it about the seventh hour, just before daylight.

After that, I’m going over to the hotel to get some tea, take a nap and wait for my interview with the reporters.

I hope all is well with you and Bill. Say hi to Chelsea, she did such a good job as a reporter. A real future there for her.

Your friend in Allah,

Ahmed Abu Khattala

archer52 on May 8, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I wonder if her bosses thought she should hold off commenting until it was over?

Cindy Munford on May 8, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Besides Benghazi, I doubt CBS is very happy with her Fast and Furious reports.

Hope we hear from her soon.

batter on May 8, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Cindy Munford on May 8, 2013 at 5:42 PM

LOL! Well, yeah, I’ll bet they wish she’d hold off till next month at the earliest!

Hopefully, she will surface soon.

dogsoldier on May 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM

It is interesting that if you go to the cbsnews.com page, the Benghazi story has disappeared. Recall that it was at the top of the page as recently as this morning. Under “Most Popular” is this morning’s story from before 6:00 am.

Is Benghazi being flushed down the CBS memory hole?

Blaise on May 8, 2013 at 6:53 PM

dogsoldier on May 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Well I didn’t mean months but hours but I do wonder what is going on.

Cindy Munford on May 8, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Apparently we need to live in Canada or the UK to find out what’s happening in the US of A:

Hard to believe cbs is dumb enough to let her go, much less force her out. If she is unleashed into somewhere resembling a free press, look out!!!

timmytee on May 8, 2013 at 7:05 PM

If I was on Twitter I would start a Free Sharyl Attkisson movement.

Cindy Munford on May 8, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Is Benghazi being flushed down the CBS memory hole?

Blaise on May 8, 2013 at 6:53 PM

What’s also interesting is that it is the #1 most popular article right now with more than twice as many views as #2 yet is only a little Bourbon halfway down the main page.

Spliff Menendez on May 8, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Bourbon = blurb. Autocorrect is awesome.

Spliff Menendez on May 8, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Her contract is up, but she has only one place to go, but it doesn’t provide the exposure the CBS network offers.

She knows if she jumped to FNC, all of her coverage would instantly be discounted as credible.

I think she wants to go to CNN with Tapper and Cooper, but I cannot Zucker, the guy who turned NBC in Progville, thinking his best chance to revive CNN is by making it the legit-news station.

His Proglleagues would pressure WB to make him stop.

budfox on May 8, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Where have you gone, Sharyl Attkisson?

A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.

Mark1971 on May 8, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Wo, wo, wo…

beancounter on May 8, 2013 at 8:35 PM

She was the featured reporter on the CBS Evening News broadcast TONIGHT.

tree hugging sister on May 8, 2013 at 9:28 PM

She’s back on Twitter…

d1carter on May 8, 2013 at 9:55 PM

In Attkisson’s video she reported the military said that the nearest planes were in Aviano, Italy and it would take 20 hours to reach Benghazi?

Just a few things I thought of:
The flight time from Tampa, Florida to Benghazi is 14 hours 11 minutes.

It is 1,000 miles from Aviano to Benghazi as the crow flies, I can drive that distance on the interstate in 13 hours and 20 minutes.

Something is not right here.

tommer74 on May 9, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Something is not right here.

tommer74 on May 9, 2013 at 12:18 AM

You would be correct. There is no fleet in the Med or planes in Sigonella and their definitely was no one in Tripoly at that time either.

Everything the regime puts out is a LIE. Nothing could possibly be done, so fearless leader went to bed.

dogsoldier on May 9, 2013 at 5:59 AM

We talk about African-Americans being on the plantation. All Democrats are on the plantation. Let one stray off and there is hell to pay. They are not allowed to think for themselves. What a pathetic way to live. Always having to say the same thing your comrade says.

Ken James on May 9, 2013 at 7:39 AM