Green Room

Finally: Beer drones

posted at 3:49 pm on May 6, 2013 by

Via Mashable. Yes, there are problems with the concept, but all ingenious, world-changing ideas start out rough around the edges. Patience. Patience.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

With my luck it would be full of near-beer.

RickB on May 6, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Still waiting for the drones that drop bacon. Need to deploy those to Syria.

nobar on May 6, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Still waiting for the drones that drop bacon. Need to deploy those to Syria.

nobar on May 6, 2013 at 4:30 PM

What a waste of perfectly delectable bacon. However, several million tons of pork chittlerings would be fine.

PrettyD_Vicious on May 6, 2013 at 4:53 PM

The video wouldn’t play for me, but the description that comes up says they will “air-drop” the cans of beer – so I can only hope that these beers have parachutes. Otherwise, here will be some serious head injuries and the cans that don’t give someone a concussion will be so shaken up you won;t be able to open them for an hour.

GWB on May 6, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Now this is innovation. There is a lot of promise to this concept. Now if they do pizza and Chinese food delivery along with beer, they may have something there.

Beer Me!

simkeith on May 6, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Why does this make me think of WKRP in Cincinnati?

meci on May 6, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Why does this make me think of WKRP in Cincinnati?

meci on May 6, 2013 at 10:22 PM

“God as my witness, I thought beer could fly.”

trigon on May 7, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Hobbyking has been running an annual “Beerlift” competition for awhile now, and people have been playing around with using multi-rotors to lift and carry stuff for some time. I guess something like this was a natural outgrowth of that.

Frankly, being heavily involved in the “drone” hobbyist community myself for several years (I really hate that word. Such negative connotations!) I really see these as more of a curiosity and a showpiece than as a practical use for the tech. It just doesn’t have the kind of capability one would need for “delivery” use.

That, and the fact that your average “multi-rotor” style RC heli is basically a flying BLENDER makes delivering items to people an activity of questionable safety. (Although here they use it to drop things, which as the video notes, has safety issues of it’s own.)

Personally, I think the tech has great potential, both for civilian and research use. As long as we can keep the government out of the way.

Oh, and the video is DEAD WRONG about what they are doing being illegal. It is totally legal, as long as they are just doing it for fun and aren’t specifically profiting from using the copter. (Yeah, you can use a Hobby drone all you want, just don’t use it to make money or Big Nanny will come and fine you, you dirty capitalist pig!)

wearyman on May 7, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Soon to come from Beernech Technologies – anti-beer-drone missiles that force the cargo to drop intact at the missile battery.

HOORAY BEER!

Steve Eggleston on May 7, 2013 at 10:46 AM

“God as my witness, I thought beer could fly.”

trigon on May 7, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Oh, the humanity!!

Odysseus on May 7, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I sent the vid to a guy I know, and I know he will improve on the concept. I’ve seen him do it a hundred times. Of course, he has to have about 12 beers in him before his inner engineer comes out and solves the problems before him. The more beer he drinks, the more creative and innovative the guy gets.

WE SHALL OVERCOME!!!!

cause, i mean… its BEER man, its BEER!!!

44Magnum on May 7, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Top Pick

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus

Biased Americans see media as biased.

Tough times down on the liberal ranch

Will Nancy Pelosi survive this latest Dem disaster?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 22, 2017 8:41 AM

Eat quick, before it’s gone.

Slow your roll, boss