Green Room

Video: The best video-game trailer ever?

posted at 2:01 pm on April 30, 2013 by

I think this guy’s right. It’ll never be topped.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I almost shipped my pants, but then I realized I saw no cargo ships.

More from the guys that gave us ‘Gratuitous Tank Battles/Gratuitous Space Battles’, I think…

RiverCocytus on April 30, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I thought this was: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZqrG1bdGtg

SAZMD on April 30, 2013 at 2:18 PM

The dead island trailer was terrible. It did nothing a trailer is actually supposed to do, like, you know, sell the game. It was this artsy garbage that just one gimmick (rewind time) with sad music. BFD.

This leviathan warships trailer was a proper trailer because it actually did what a trailer was supposed to do: sell the game, show gameplay, show you what the game actually is. The only difference is that the trailer has a white guy trying to speak like a black guy making bad ship puns.

I dont get why people think it is so great. It would be a little more newsworthy if a major studio released something like this, but this is paradox. They release seriously low budget games. It really isn’t that shocking that a game that is practically an indie game, all but invisible and unknown, would try something to get attention and stand out.

And oh how the lemming came running. /roll

kaltes on April 30, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Barry White he ain’t.

CurtZHP on April 30, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Take off that brazier, my dear.

portlandon on April 30, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Barry White he ain’t.

CurtZHP on April 30, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Heh. I always liked this game “trailer.”

Eviva on April 30, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Whoa. By the time this was over I found myself wearing the polyester wrap dress, 4-inch hoop earrings and platform sandals of my Mom’s that I thought she had sent to Goodwill 35 years ago!

cynccook on April 30, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Ugh. That was gross. Like reliving childhood trauma. Way to put the predator in advertising. Is a Bill Clinton impersonator up next?

Most game trailers are lying, boring pieces of garbage. I would love to see what they would come up with for my demographic: disdainful females.

tuffy on April 30, 2013 at 4:06 PM

tuffy on April 30, 2013 at 4:06 PM

GAME IDEAS:
Pick the most indie album just by listening to 30 seconds of a song. The more popular song you pick, the worse you do.

Classic Passage: Upvote and share classic passages from feminist books. (I actually kind of love this concept, its already kind of in use on instagram with the stylized words, but still)

Hunt down wifebeaters in a FPS game. Achievements for cycles of violence ended.

jimmy the notable on April 30, 2013 at 4:26 PM

tuffy on April 30, 2013 at 4:06 PM

My contest entry, while old school and alpha, does give the best line to the female narrator. (“[B]usiness is good.”)

Army of Two Trailer – 2006

wolfsDad on April 30, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I was always a big fan of the team fortress 2 trailers, quite witty and humorous. The sniper is probably my favorite. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NZDwZbyDus

Imrahil on April 30, 2013 at 5:23 PM

kaltes on April 30, 2013 at 2:28 PM

It also didn’t help that Dead Island was kinda bad.

My vote goes to pretty much every trailer Bungie ever made for Halo, although the “Deliver Hope” trailer for Halo: Reach is probably my favorite.

mintycrys on April 30, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Nice way to step out of the line. :)

*takes notes*

Axe on April 30, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Shut up, please don’t shut up, and take my money.

Ars Moriendi on April 30, 2013 at 8:19 PM

It won me over with the Paradox logo at the beginning. I love their games.

By the way, this isn’t too crazy for them. Check their Seven Deadly Sins promos for when they first launched Crusader Kings II.

Gingotts on April 30, 2013 at 10:05 PM

1. It’s not a ‘trailer’, it’s an advertisement. Does this look like a movie, AP?

2. Okay, you watched the video. Keep what you saw in mind and then watch this.

Dr. Mercury on May 1, 2013 at 7:49 AM

And oh how the lemming came running. /roll

kaltes on April 30, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Lighten up Francis

LoganSix on May 1, 2013 at 8:04 AM

It’s May 1 and STILL not available in the Google Play store. I thought this was going to be released for Android?

wearyman on May 1, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #172 in Video Games (See Top 100 in Video Games)
#1 in Video Games > PC Games > Games > Strategy > Turn-Based