Reason NOTM: Banning Chipotle?
posted at 1:26 pm on April 30, 2013 by Ed Morrissey
Now, these are fighting words. Eastchester, New York could get away with banning Wendy’s and McDonalds and come out as taking a stand against fast-food malnutrition, or something. Banning Chipotle and Panera makes it more obvious that they’re just …. snobs. In fact, as Ted Balaker captures in Reason TV’s Nanny of the Month, Eastchester Supervisor Anthony Colavita brags about it:
But this time the Nanny of the Month comes to us from Eastchester, New York where a local official wasn’t satisfied with outlawing traditional fastfood joints like McDonald’s and Burger King. He decided to kick it up a notch and shield locals from “fast casual” restaurants like Panera Bread and Chipotle (and to think these newcomers, with their earth tones and organic offerings, thought they could stave off the taste police!).
Presenting the Nanny of the Month for April 2013: Eastchester Supervisor Anthony Colavita!
His argument is absolute nonsense on many levels, but especially on the notion that these restaurants just aren’t Eastchester, dahlink. If that were the case, then Colavito would have no problem; the fast-food joints would close for lack of business. No, the problem for Colavito is that they would succeed, and their success would annoy him and the other snobs in Eastchester.
Recently in the Green Room:
- Rand Paul wins CPAC straw poll
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained
- RNC ad: Crying infant greets Obama’s new debt-laden budget