Green Room

Another reason to love RGIII

posted at 10:32 am on April 29, 2013 by

I’ve always loved this kid. He’s so sweet and charming, he even overcomes my longtime, visceral dislike of the Redskins.

Then, he went and did this:

LOVE.

All right, normally I’d say you should try not to flake on an invitation, but the White House Correspondents Dinner, at the NBC table? Be still my heart.

Icing on the cake? RGIII later made a surprise appearance at an after-party, leaving A-listers in the room starstruck and acting characteristically gracious:

Of all the A-listers at the starry White House Correspondents’ after party hosted by Vanity Fair and Bloomberg, the surprise hit of the evening was Robert Griffin III. Team owner Dan Snyder proudly ushered his prize player around the terraced gardens of the French ambassador’s residence — his wife Tanya and Griffin’s fiancée Rebecca Liddicoat standing back at a respectful remove — as one star after another approached for a moment or a photo with the 23-year-old, who was poised, gracious and smiling through every encounter. “It’s cool to meet all these people,” he told us.

All the more of a surprise since Griffin was a no-show for the actual Correspondents’ dinner, reportedly leaving would-be hosts in the lurch. We’re told he and Liddicoat dined with the Snyders at Cafe Milano in Georgetown.

Among the stars who came running over to get his RGIII photo: Kevin Spacey.

Big fan? “He’s, like, heroic,” Spacey insisted.

I only wish George H.W. Bush had been there so the two could trade sock style tips.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

What?! You hate the Redskins?!

Cindy Munford on April 29, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I wouldn’t say it rises to hatred. Just a gut dislike I’ve had since I was a kid.

Mary Katharine Ham on April 29, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Awesome. I went and checked out his fiancee’s FB page, and the only post on it includes a Bible verse (Esther 2:14):

And she that went in at evening, came out in the morning, and from thence she was conducted to the second house, that was under the hand of Susagaz the eunuch, who had the charge over the king’s concubines: neither could she return any more to the king, unless the king desired it, and had ordered her by name to come.

Her profile pic is of her and RGIII in the end zone of Floyd Casey Stadium in Waco, with two Baylor helmets, and a Yorkie (hers, I assume).

Ward Cleaver on April 29, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Mary Katharine Ham on April 29, 2013 at 10:41 AM

So are you a fan of another NFC East team (which one?), or just don’t like the Redskins? I can’t stand Little Danny Snyder, but I don’t hate the Redskins.

Ward Cleaver on April 29, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Ward Cleaver on April 29, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Oh, and a football, too.

Ward Cleaver on April 29, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Mary Katharine Ham on April 29, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I could understand it if you were from Dallas. Back to topic, I wonder if Mr. Synder told him that sitting at one table or another would put him out of the neutral zone (so to speak)? Or is he afraid that NBC will lure him away like they did Tiki Barber, who then promptly self destructed.

Cindy Munford on April 29, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Mary Katharine Ham on April 29, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I always knew you were a smart lady. 😉

GWB on April 29, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Ward Cleaver on April 29, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Who would have thought that they would long for the days of Jack Kent Cooke?

Cindy Munford on April 29, 2013 at 10:57 AM

He won’t finish this year in the NFL. I give to week 4 or 5, then his leg shatters. Shanahan runs away for face transplant surgery.

Ward Cleaver on April 29, 2013 at 10:50 AM

America’s Team, baby.

BobMbx on April 29, 2013 at 11:00 AM

If RG3 makes me dislike Dan Snyder a little less…
I say, heck of an achievement.
🙂

22044 on April 29, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Mary Katharine Ham on April 29, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Another reason to like MKH!

portlandon on April 29, 2013 at 11:13 AM

There are only two times I like the Redskins:

– When they play an NFC North team not named the Green Bay Packers
.- When they play an NFC team ahead of them in the standings not named the Green Bay Packers.

Go Pack Go!

Steve Eggleston on April 29, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Steve Eggleston on April 29, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Heh. Like that’s ever happened.

bigmacdaddy on April 29, 2013 at 11:43 AM

THIS is why I Love Mary Katherine Ham!

She soooo “Gets It”!!

williamg on April 29, 2013 at 12:43 PM

America’s Team, baby.

BobMbx on April 29, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Ah! So – given Obama’s Presidency and all, you’re a Bears fan?

williamg on April 29, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Ah! So – given Obama’s Presidency and all, you’re a Bears fan?

williamg on April 29, 2013 at 12:45 PM

You task me. You task me and I shall have you! I’ll chase you ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares Maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give you up!

Or, maybe just this.

BobMbx on April 29, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Meanwhile, Tebow has been fired.

The guy takes over a 1-4 team & leads them to the playoffs, including a win in the first round, & for his reward he’s traded, benched for a year, & then fired.

itsnotaboutme on April 29, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I like RGIII a lot. It has been awful watching the Redskins grind him down, as so many accurately predicted.

JeremiahJohnson on April 29, 2013 at 1:23 PM

itsnotaboutme on April 29, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I wish Jacksonville would take him, I’d actually buy tickets. Mission accomplished. Helloooo, Canada!!!

Cindy Munford on April 29, 2013 at 1:28 PM

JeremiahJohnson on April 29, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Treating him like he is the only guy on the team isn’t good for him or morale.

Cindy Munford on April 29, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I hate the Redskins too.

And I hate NBC, they’re a cornball network and they aren’t down with the cause.

moc23 on April 29, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Meanwhile, Tebow has been fired.

itsnotaboutme on April 29, 2013 at 1:06 PM

He likes God. What a weirdo.

/s

BobMbx on April 29, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Mary Katharine Ham on April 29, 2013 at 10:41 AM

As Mrs. Leprechaun noted,

“Now I have root for the REDSKINS?”

Yes Honey, looks that way.

oldleprechaun on April 29, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Ward Cleaver on April 29, 2013 at 10:50 AM
America’s Team, baby.

BobMbx on April 29, 2013 at 11:00 AM

AH, a fellow Green Bay Packers fan! America’s team..

Green_Bay_Packers on April 29, 2013 at 3:10 PM

There are only two times I like the Redskins:

– When they play an NFC North team not named the Green Bay Packers

Go Pack Go!

Steve Eggleston on April 29, 2013 at 11:36 AM

My sentiments exactly!

And to be more explicit with your point already covered:

-When they play the Dallas Cowboys and win.

stvnscott on April 29, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I just want him to take the stupid “III” off the back of his uniform.

Your father doesn’t play for the Redskins. Stop it.

The Monster on April 29, 2013 at 3:44 PM

When I was coming of age I liked the Packers because of Bart Starr. Later I was at a college game where my Houston Cougars ran up a 95-10 score on SMU when they had Starr as AD to bring them back from the death penaly. He complained bitterly of the thrashing and Jack Pardee kindly explained he threw over them instead of running it through them to save them for their game the following week against UT.

The next year Pardee’s Oilers got creamed by Sam Wyche’s Bengals and he offered Starr the game ball as retribution for the SMU game. Hilarious stuff.

DanMan on April 29, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Meh. He’s still a Redskin. That’s already three strikes against him. Whatever else he may do doesn’t matter.

Chris of Rights on April 30, 2013 at 8:05 AM

McConnell may not get his wish on health care vote

Taylor Millard Jun 25, 2017 7:31 PM
Top Pick

Senate leadership wants a vote this week, others say, “Negative, Ghost Rider.”

Top Pick

Helping others without the government.

“…the reality is the reality.”

These kiosks don’t make $15 per hour or need benefits

Going for the record

“We will answer them on the field”

Taking it to the limit

Sunday morning talking heads

Jazz Shaw Jun 25, 2017 8:01 AM

Health care and tweeting and Russia, oh my!

Will they stay or will they go?

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…