Green Room

Photos: Sylvester Stallone immortalized in the Vatican Museum?

posted at 1:32 pm on April 27, 2013 by

I had a little fun with these on Twitter earlier today, so why not here as well?  When I took my Patrons of the Arts of the Vatican Museums tour last month (I am a member), the guide made sure to point this particular fresco in one of the Raphael rooms.  How did Sylvester Stallone manage to get his portrait included by Raphael?

stallone-vatican

Here it is in a larger view:

stallone-larger

There is no photoshopping going on here — I’m pretty incompetent at Photoshop anyway.  I took these myself, and they are a very clear representation of something that obviously delights the Vatican tour guides.  It has also delighted my friends since my return from Rome, and I thought it would be fun to share with all of you as well.

By the way, if you missed it last month, here is my interview with my friend Fr. Michael Haydu, international director of the Patron of the Arts in the Vatican Museums, whom I also interviewed in May 2011 on my last trip to Rome.  It’s a great program that funds the restoration of priceless art, and there is so much more work to do in that regard.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

“Yo, ADRIAN! I mean…yo Pope!”

squint on April 27, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I think that guy in the middle is plotting something.

squint on April 27, 2013 at 1:49 PM

How did you manage to take photos of the Stanzas Raphael?? I thought that was a no photo area.

Illinidiva on April 27, 2013 at 2:26 PM

“Yo, Pope Adrian VI!”

I remember reading and hearing somewhere that a lot of frescos like these used the faces of contemporary figures. Maybe one of Sly’s very distant ancestors.

JimLennon on April 27, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Wow that’s the best Vatican mystery since Fr. Guido Sarducci found the pope in the pizza. :)

simkeith on April 27, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I see a very limited resemblance. You could say a million Italian men look somewhat similar.

keep the change on April 27, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Actually the question is how strong is that DNA, that it was passed down several generations over the centuries to Mr. Stallone? And the bigger question, how exactly did an unnamed Catholic cardinal pass said DNA down?

Maybe he had something in common with the Prince Archbishop Wolf Dietrich von Raitenau (Salzburg)?

Anyway, RIP Raffaello Sanzio da Urbino (April 6 or March 28, 1483 – April 6, 1520)

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on April 27, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Illinidiva on April 27, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Well, it’s either because of my membership in the PAVM program, or because they knew I was an accredited journalist at that time. I actually didn’t know that was a no-photo area. The guide never stopped me from taking any pictures anywhere except the Sistine Chapel — and I had already taken plenty in there during the media walk-through just before the conclave started.

Ed Morrissey on April 27, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Stallone, No.

Italian, Yes.

Pork-Chop on April 27, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Stallone? As the tallest guy in the room?

I’ve heard of papal dispensation, but that stretches credulity a bit too far.

M240H on April 27, 2013 at 5:40 PM

If Sylvester went back in time, he was outdone by Michael Jackson.

Bigfoot on April 27, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Bigfoot on April 27, 2013 at 7:11 PM

I never knew he could moonwalk past 88 mph.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on April 27, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Illinidiva on April 27, 2013 at 2:26 PM

It is actually a no flash zone. The resemblance of this figure to Stallone is striking when you see it in person.

Jocundus on April 27, 2013 at 9:57 PM

I wonder who the bald guy looks like. Those eyes…

philoquin on April 27, 2013 at 11:41 PM

I am a member

Ed

What is the point of always pointing out that you have credentials or you’re a member? Does it make you feel important?

Rusty Allen on April 28, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Rusty – Why so sensitive? I see no problem with Ed mentioning his membership. Are you jealous?

ordi on April 28, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Ed Morrissey on April 27, 2013 at 5:15 PM

It’s GREAT that you are a member of Patron of the Arts of the Vatican Museum. I’d sure love to be.

Molto congratulazioni!

I hope one day to visit Rome, Florence and the Napoli coast.

Lourdes on April 28, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Rusty Allen on April 28, 2013 at 12:15 AM

I mentioned the credential to explain why I might have been allowed to take photographs, although Jocundus later clarified the point. I mentioned the membership because it would be dishonest for me to keep promoting the program without fully disclosing my membership in it each time.

Ed Morrissey on April 28, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Well, we’re all descended from somebody. What I’d like to see is my face in some ancient painting of the British royals.

RebeccaH on April 28, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Not that it’s likely to happen. I resemble my father’s side of the family, and they were most likely brigands in the Border Country, or Ireland.

RebeccaH on April 28, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Ed Morrissey on April 28, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Got it, sorry for coming off rude.

Rusty Allen on April 28, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Rusty Allen on April 28, 2013 at 11:06 AM

No worries. Hey, join a PAVM chapter near you, and the next time my disclosure statement will be “I guilted Rusty Allen into joining.” ;-)

Ed Morrissey on April 28, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Jocundus on April 27, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Thanks… Since I don’t know how to make my camera not flash, that is probably why I don’t have any pictures. I just remember lots of guards and signs around.

Ed, the latest rumor is that JPII might be canonized later this year. I know you went to the beatification for JPII, so are you going to put in for another “business trip” to Rome this year. ;)

Illinidiva on April 28, 2013 at 1:34 PM

And the other 2 figures? Why that’s Gary Sinise, and Ivan Drago of course.

Red Creek on April 28, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Illinidiva on April 28, 2013 at 1:34 PM

While I’d love to do so, I am pretty sure that the Powers That Be will see this as the same kind of news event that the conclave was. Besides, I’ll be taking a vacation shortly after the October 20th canonization date that’s being rumored.

Ed Morrissey on April 29, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Gonna Fly Now…
“Da da daaaa…. da da daaaa…
da da daaaa… da da daaaa…
da da da, da da-da….
da-da-da-da-da-da-da,
DA-DA!!!!!”

Marcola on April 29, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Is that Chuck Norris, second from the right in the back?

Nethicus on April 29, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Er, what I meant was that the Powers That Be will not see this as the same kind of news event that the conclave was. Sorry about that.

Ed Morrissey on April 29, 2013 at 12:27 PM