Green Room

Video: Pot aficionados as up-to-speed on current events as you’d expect

posted at 4:47 pm on April 26, 2013 by

To be fair, you’d probably get the same level of engagement in current affairs on your average college campus. On the other hand, there is a lot of overlap between those two populations:

Bill O’Reilly challenges Jesse Watters on picking and choosing his interview subjects, but Watters claims that this was a representative sample. I think we need to see how well the Uranian demo was represented before we can accept that, however.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Just imagine an entire state being part of the cast of “That 70′s Show” and you’ll understand what legalizing pot will do.

BobMbx on April 26, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Everyone who smokes pot is a dreadlocks-laden, filthy, uneducated neo-hippie with no brain.

Just like every conservative is a knuckle-dragging, inbred, racist, sexist hick that hates poor people.

Don’t you just love how convenient generalizations are?

MadisonConservative on April 26, 2013 at 5:20 PM

This is going to end well…a nation of stoners to stupid to take care of themselves.

trs on April 26, 2013 at 5:23 PM

long term habitual doper smokers are brain damaged and dumber than a bag of hammers.

I should know. Spent a generation dealing with their stoner mishaps and acts of crime.

Grow up, put down the bong.

Just saying…

archer52 on April 26, 2013 at 5:34 PM

20 year old college student here and I would just like to offer an apology for the dimwits of my generation. But would also like to remind everyone here who has raised this generation.

TheOarsman on April 26, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Love the last little bit when he said they were a peaceful bunch until someone came in with a box of donuts, O’Reilly says “maybe they’ll legalize donuts in Colorado next” heheh.

Paradox Drive on April 26, 2013 at 5:39 PM

See, marijuana isn’t bad for you./

tommer74 on April 26, 2013 at 6:15 PM

TheOarsman on April 26, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Did you see what BobMbx said above? The generation that raised yours was a bunch of potheads when they were your age. I know, I was there.

Odysseus on April 26, 2013 at 7:21 PM

trs on April 26, 2013 at 5:23 PM

And you can bet your grandma’s glasses that the liberals love this. They already have 4/5ths of a ‘minority’ race in America too dumbed down to not vote for their “free stuff” agenda and around 2/3rds of another. If a significant portion of the rest of the voting populace fries their noodles there will literally be not enough people left with the smarts to act independently.

I couldn’t have imagined what’s happening now in a sci-fi book when I was younger.

archer52 on April 26, 2013 at 5:34 PM

May I ask in what capacity? Cop? Social worker?

Don’t you just love how convenient generalizations are?

MadisonConservative on April 26, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Hey genius – which one of those generalizations has significant evidence for it and which one is purely a talking point invented by Marxist-hugging libtards?

Take two Mentats and call us in the morning?

MelonCollie on April 26, 2013 at 7:32 PM

anti-gang/crime unit detective, patrol officer, intel detective.

Bottom line, spent all my life on the street, long enough to deal with the first and second generations of the same criminal/doper types.

I’ve seen them grow up, doing drugs, doing stupid things, ending up mentally crippled and without any futures because they would rather smoke dope than go to school, listen to their parents or hold a job.

Then comes the stealing

archer52 on April 26, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Then comes the stealing

archer52 on April 26, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I’ve literally lost count of the criminal stories in “Beyond Scared Straight” that start with the man/woman smoking pot and going on to worse things. The link is as clear as day.

I salute your efforts and thank you for all you’ve done trying to hold the line against the night. A few of us still know what’s inside the Trojan Horse.

MelonCollie on April 26, 2013 at 7:54 PM

@MelonCollie

While the merits of weed as a gateway drug can be debated, quoting a reality television show as your evidence is a bit of stretch.

TDSE on April 26, 2013 at 8:06 PM

TDSE on April 26, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I’m only saying it as a tiny sliver of the whole pie, so to speak.

The stories are absolutely legion. Most often it starts as pot use while the criminal is a minor, doing it behind his/her parents’ backs. More rarely, a new user will try something like driving while on their first serious ‘trip’ and immediately get into something major, but that’s not really unique to pot use.

MelonCollie on April 26, 2013 at 8:10 PM

MelonCollie on April 26, 2013 at 8:10 PM

But if we’re going to use that same type of logic, why not also blame alcohol and look it criminalize it? Just as these minors started out with weed, they surely were drinking. In fact, I would assume a large majority of the criminal element that archer52 had to deal with drank at a decent rate.

TDSE on April 26, 2013 at 8:23 PM

@TheOarsman, 20 year old studying to be a fireman joining you in that apology for our generation

starsfaninvan on April 26, 2013 at 8:28 PM

This is how Democrats get elected.

The Rogue Tomato on April 26, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Not all “pot heads” are as out of it as these guys.

I know quite a few who have GPAs well above 3.0 and are very good students, as well as well informed on current events. And yet they smoke every day, multiple times a day in some cases.

I actually live in Colorado and have enjoyed the new legal status of Marijuana in my state, plus I’ve had my Medical card for years. My GPA is still above 3.0. I can speak 3 languages, and I’m usually more up-to-date on events than many of my professors are.

So not all stoners are as out of it as these guys are. Using generalizations like this is stupid. Its the same as saying that all Republicans are racist, backwards-looking, old white men.

Blu3Yeti on April 26, 2013 at 8:42 PM

This reminds me of the movie “Idiocracy.” It was supposed to depict the U.S. hundreds of years in the future, but we’re there now.

Commonsense13 on April 26, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Both generalizations have ample evidence, if you’re being intellectually honest. If we’re going to oppose bigotry and stereotyping, let’s try being consistent.

Take two Mentats and call us in the morning?

MelonCollie on April 26, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Only if they’re the Party Time Grape ones. You might need those, since your PER score seems unusually low.

MadisonConservative on April 26, 2013 at 8:50 PM

“every conservative is a knuckle-dragging, inbred, racist, sexist hick that hates poor people” has ‘ample evidence’?

You either have a massive self-hate complex or your intellectual honesty can be balanced on a scale with a butterfly’s wing.

MadisonConservative on April 26, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Someone with an INT score below a lobotomized Mole Rat should not be suggesting another’s need for improvement.

MelonCollie on April 26, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Blu3Yeti on April 26, 2013 at 8:42 PM

You’ve had your medical card for years and are still going to school. Any thought about working when you grow up?
I ditched the guy I dated for 3 years of college when it became apparent he was perfectly happy being a stoned student forever. Four years later I ran into someone from State College who had met him-he was still there, small time dealing, hadn’t graduated. A nice guy, smart, funny, cute, but never grew up.

I don’t know if his parents ever cut him off. I don’t know how he was going to pay back his student loans.

talkingpoints on April 26, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Not all “pot heads” are as out of it as these guys.

Blu3Yeti on April 26, 2013 at 8:42 PM

A pothead is a pothead is a pothead.
Grow up. Get a job. Get a life.

Bubba Redneck on April 26, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Do you really think these people would have answered those questions correctly if they didn’t smoke pot? It is nonsense to suggest that people who smoke marijuana are unavoidably going to be ignorant.

Reggie1971 on April 26, 2013 at 11:05 PM

If ya ever wonder why we are stereotyped as close minded hate filled judgemental and out of step this comment section provides the answer. There are just as many uninformed hicks who know as little as the burn outs they interviewed. Most people dont care about current events even if they dont smoke pot. Cherry picking examples to confirm bias might make you feel great about yourslf but it doesnt teach you anything. Matter of fact it makes you dumber.

If we spent less time convincing ourselves we have a reason to look down on people we might expand the electoral map. Saying things that sound like they were taken out of Reefer Madness is dumber than the kids from Denver.

There are plenty of people who work go to school and raise their families that smoke pot. Not everyone agrees it is worthless. Ive been a conservative my whole life. It saddens me how much we collectively hate people who do things we dont.

phadedjaded on April 26, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Having a GPA above 3.0 doesn’t impress me as much anymore. It’s much easier than it used to be.

As for smoking pot – it does have an effect, short term and long term. If you don’t believe that, then come back to me in about 20 years and I’ll have some waterfront property in AZ to sell you.

As to “engagement” with current affairs, I agree that the pot might have an effect, but not as large an effect as the fact that “kids” are ignorant of that stuff as a rule.

GWB on April 27, 2013 at 12:56 AM

A pothead is a pothead is a pothead.
Grow up. Get a job. Get a life.

Bubba Redneck on April 26, 2013 at 10:50 PM

I guess that makes every drinker an alcoholic.
Sober up. Get a job. Get a life.

MadisonConservative on April 27, 2013 at 1:57 AM

A pothead is a pothead is a pothead. Grow up. Get a job. Get a life.
Bubba Redneck on April 26, 2013 at 10:50 PM

But if I “grow up” and “get a job” I would have to lay off my seven (for now) employees.

And my wife and children, not to mention grandchildren, would be kinda put out if I ran off and got me “a life”.

Hey “Bubba”? You ever notice how self-righteous you sound? Similar to the leftist potheads in the interviews. (And they are all Obamatons in the video, if you can’t tell that you’re not even trying.) Conservative “potheads” keep their heads down, so geniuses like you don’t sell us out. Leave us alone and we’ll keep taking care of our own, like we’re supposed to.

Squiggy on April 27, 2013 at 7:38 AM

But would also like to remind everyone here who has raised this generation.

TheOarsman on April 26, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Well, it took a village.

Fallon on April 27, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Coming soon, government sponsored free pot. Sign up today on your Obamaphone.

Imrahil on April 27, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I smoke 7 days a week because its great and there’s no hangover. I also work 2 different jobs, and usually have maybe 1 day off a week if I’m lucky. Please, somebody, tell me which current event I’m not up on. Tell me which society I’m bringing down with my monogamous relationship and the bills I pay and the taxes I pay. I own a car, I pay car insurance, car loan, cell phone bill, student loans (I wish I’d read instapundit before I got into that stuff, that’s a way worse thing to spend your money on than a little green plant), rent, and you know, everything else about my life. I can’t quit my job, I’m not going to get a promotion in my line of work, and until I’m out of debt (Thanks, Dave Ramsey), I plan on continuing to smoke until I plan to quit! Believe it or not, its something I even budget for!

I’m a libertarian. I smoke because I know that it isn’t as bad as alcohol. I don’t really care what the government has to say about either one because they’re way way too incompetent to matter. Moralists can preach freely as much as they want, they can say its wrong to imbibe or whatever. God love em. I wish them all wonderful sober lives because that’s what they choose to do. But stay the hell away from the laws. Nanny Bloomberg is a Moralist too. I’m sure he’d agree with all of you on how bad pot is, just like how bad sugary drinks are and salt and ice cream and staying up too late.

Somebody here please school me on all the heroin I’ve done (none, never, that stuff is addictive). Tell me what a burnout I am. You can’t, because I’m not, because you don’t know me.

jimmy the notable on April 27, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Please, somebody, tell me which current event I’m not up on. Tell me which society I’m bringing down……

jimmy the notable on April 27, 2013 at 9:04 AM

So there’s a chance these folks were working hard to provide you with your hobby materials. You should send them a tip at Christmas.

No, wait. They’re dead. You’re off the hook.

BobMbx on April 27, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Coming soon, government sponsored free pot. Sign up today on your Obamaphone.

Imrahil on April 27, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I can’t laugh anymore, it could happen.

MelonCollie on April 27, 2013 at 10:27 AM

No, wait. They’re dead. You’re off the hook.

BobMbx on April 27, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Funny how the very real human cost of illicit drug use never gets mentioned in Squiggy’s mewlings.

This cr@p is worse than the “Indian rug children” scandal, worse than the Chinese sweatshops. People get brutally murdered by this trade on a daily basis. And we’re supposed to sit down and shut up when some pothead goes “maaaan, you’re like, evil judgemental liberals”?

MelonCollie on April 27, 2013 at 10:34 AM

What? Druggies are morons? That’s a newsflash!

whatcat on April 27, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Did you buy or receive a diamond engagement ring?
Did you ever buy an apple product? Or other mini elctronic device?
Then you have blood on your hands.

libfreeordie on April 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Did you buy or receive a diamond engagement ring?

Not yet. Also, you can get “conflict-free diamonds”, same as “terror-free oil”. I know this may blow a fuse in your liberal mind but there are choices.

Did you ever buy an apple product? Or other mini elctronic device?

Unfortunately no…my only Apple product was a lucky-as-hell door prize. Surprise surprise it’s 6 years old and works just as well as it did yesterday.

Then you have blood on your hands.

libfreeordie on April 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Coming from an infanticide-promoting sl*t like you , that’s a hilarious claim.

MelonCollie on April 27, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Did you buy or receive a diamond engagement ring?
Then you have blood on your hands.
libfreeordie on April 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM

All the beheaded bodies they found in the alley behind Tiffany’s & Co. were especially horrific.

whatcat on April 27, 2013 at 11:20 AM

This is going to end well…a nation of stoners to(o) stupid to take care of themselves.

trs on April 26, 2013 at 5:23 PM

No worse than a nation of people who don’t know how to spell… ;-)

SauerKraut537 on April 27, 2013 at 11:47 AM

whatcat on April 27, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I think they’re referring to all the blood diamonds that come out of Africa that are dug up by gangs who sell them for guns. A lot of the diamonds in Africa are mined by thugs and crooks who sell them for much discounted rates to buyers without scruples.

SauerKraut537 on April 27, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Commonsense13 on April 26, 2013 at 8:44 PM

We’ve been there a few years now.

squint on April 27, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Blu3Yeti on April 26, 2013 at 8:42 PM

3.0 bro. Dude, that’s awesome. 3.0.

Only in a pothead is a nice middle C grade considered proof of intelligence.

JoseQuinones on April 27, 2013 at 2:33 PM

whatcat on April 27, 2013 at 11:20 AM

SauerKraut537 on April 27, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Yeah, it’s awful how Tiffany’s is in a secret alliance with the evildoers. First you have the evildoers producing illegal diamonds in their labs, then smuggling them across the border to sell them to rotten diamond street pushers (or false front places like Tiffany’s) and the pushers then get engaged couples hooked on the illegal, shiny substance. Worse yet is when someone driving under the influence of a diamond ring plows into a school bus and kills a bunch of kids.
Just like drugs, yup.

whatcat on April 27, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Gotta love how the potheads have SourGerman and LibFreeAndAbortBabies on their side. If that doesn’t tell you all you need to know, nothing will.

njrob on April 27, 2013 at 4:26 PM

whatcat on April 27, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Your hyperbole aside, once it reaches “respectable” hands, Tiffany’s is well able to purchase them and sell them. As long as it’s not “hand to hand” I’m sure they’re willing to make a profit. Not saying Tiffany’s is TRYing to get their hands on blood diamonds but I’m sure SOME percentage of them are making it into their display cases.

SauerKraut537 on April 27, 2013 at 4:29 PM

njrob on April 27, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Nothing I have said so far today has indicated which side I’m on on this topic and I’m certainly not on libfreeordie’s side… But I AM for legalization though. Nobody could be so stoned that they couldn’t drive, and alcohol impairs your judgement and reflexes 10 times worse than dope smoking does.

Incarcerating thousands of otherwise harmless people and putting them in the penitentiary with the real crooks only serves to create more crooks. I know several people who were otherwise harmless punks get sent off to prison only to turn into even worse criminals because they had to befriend particularly nasty people to protect themselves while in prison. And once they leave prison they are branded convicts and can’t get a good paying job so have to resort to getting by however they can, which most of the time involves even deeper criminal behavior that they learned from their “friends” in jail.

Think of the thousands of people who got caught experimenting with it and got sent off to jail who could have otherwise been productive members of society but who now have a stigma attached to them. Think about all the time and money spent that could be more productively spent trying to interdict these relatively harmless drugs, all the time and money spent indicting the people involved, the upkeep to pay for their prison life, etc…

The war on drugs, pot especially, has been a failed one. Just like prohibition was. It has achieved the opposite of what it was intended to do and created criminal gangs who are profiting off the sale of it, created criminal gangs who fight each other over the profits and kill bystanders, sent thousands of people to jail who had to go to these gangs to get their drugs and who would have likely gotten past their pot smoking stage and moved on with life.

SauerKraut537 on April 27, 2013 at 4:48 PM

SauerKraut537 et al, I’m afraid that like apostle Paul, you are “boxing the wind” with these nanny statist.They have their inane caricature of what constitutes a cannubus user,and that’s the software program that they are running.Just like any other stereotype it’s so much easier than trying to know and understand people as individual’s.
Just as Dr. Scott Peck say’s in the “Road less traveled”…”Laziness is the root of all evil”.

jsunrise on April 27, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I’m sure SOME percentage of them are making it into their display cases.
SauerKraut537 on April 27, 2013 at 4:29 PM

You’re “sure”? You should pass that secret info, to which you alone are privy, along to law enforcement.
(Unless you’re just pulling your claims outta your backside, of course.)

whatcat on April 27, 2013 at 5:06 PM

SauerKraut537 on April 27, 2013 at 4:48 PM

So society is to blame and not them for breaking a law with clearly defined penalties and then not being responsible enough to accept their crime and become upstanding citizens. These people obviously do not have the free will to avoid crime so we shouldn’t penalize them for their actions. That about sum it up?

njrob on April 27, 2013 at 5:10 PM

jsunrise on April 27, 2013 at 5:03 PM

No, you’re the one with the caricature of what a fine upstanding citizen potheads are. I’ve known enough in my life to see how even smoking pot can ruin lives. I know it also enables a strong criminal element in society. Just because you like breaking the law doesn’t mean you should be able to do so. There’s no God given right to get high especially when we have to subsidize drug users.

njrob on April 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM

njrob on April 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM

It’s amazing what lengths people will go to to try to rationalize whatever their addiction.

whatcat on April 27, 2013 at 5:18 PM