Green Room

Video: Anti-smoking PSAs getting more … inventive

posted at 2:39 pm on April 25, 2013 by

For the record, if you’re around me, I much prefer social smoking to social farting. That’s just me. YMMV.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

SBD

Jocundus on April 25, 2013 at 3:04 PM

You and me both.

John the Libertarian on April 25, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I really dislike the way this stuff isn’t considered uncouth anymore. Also, I don’t smoke even though I love to, because my husband doesn’t approve. But guess who spends every evening on the couch flatulating? Yeah.

surrounded on April 25, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Oh, it’s Canadian. Well, that explains much, eh? *shakes head*

GWB on April 25, 2013 at 3:58 PM

As one with an intestinal bowel disease (IBD), I can testify quitting farting is not difficult – it’s impossible. To get adequate nutrition with my impaired gut, I have to eat things that will create gas. I can suppress during the day and release in acceptable locations, but at night? Yes, I often do ‘wake up in the morning breathing a fart’. My wife and I have been married a long time, but I sleep in a different room. More accurately… I’m still married BECAUSE I sleep in a different room.
Why am I blabbing all this? Well, it’s fun to make fun of farters, and most of them are just lazy… they could manage it better if they had discipline, and put others’ needs ahead of their own. But for me, at least, it’s totally unlike smoking. Ain’t no patch gonna help me…

Marcola on April 25, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Marcola on April 25, 2013 at 4:05 PM

TMI

RadClown on April 25, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Saw an anti-smoking commercial the other day that at least got a smile out of me. It was a cowboy “singing” a song called “Smoking Doesn’t Always Kill You” with one of those voice synthesizers that people use after they have had throat cancer.

Glenn Jericho on April 25, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Just remember when the Dems are crying about what has to be shut down next because of the sequester – at least we still have all of their PSA’s to listen to. What would we all do without them?

Free Indeed on April 25, 2013 at 4:55 PM

OK, that is a new low. PSA ads are awful, this just lowered the bar even further. One of the more egregious in the past was the “diversity” PSA where a guy couldn’t find someone to fill a position because the person doing the selection always found a racist reason to reject each candidate, the PSA ended with the statement, “Shame, an office full of people and we can’t find a quailifed person. ” Rush had a great parody on it in which the person doing the rejecting was rejecting people who read the Bible, conservatives, etc.

That’s the other funny thing, those PSA’s often run during conservative talk shows. Seems like a waste of money.

Yeah, they could cut all of those out in the sequester and nobody would miss a thing

AZfederalist on April 25, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Marcola on April 25, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Curious; would something like Gas-X mitigate your situation, or in doing so, also mitigate the nutritional value you’re needing to get from the food?

Midas on April 25, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Free Indeed on April 25, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Speaking of which, I’ve noticed that the overall % of commercials I hear on the local Dallas ‘conservative talk radio station’ that is wholly comprised of PSA’s has gone dramatically *up*.

So, the number of paying advertisers must be going *down*, and the government is spending *more* to push PSA’s about colon cancer, getting your kids to get outside, help Habitat for Humanity, etc.

Hrm.

The Indian casinos seem to have more ads running as well.

Midas on April 25, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Smoking doesn’t always cause cancer.
It’s genetics. I keep saying this & you’ll find results in the human population fit this conclusion.
Tobacco has it’s place as does alcohol.
And second hand smoke doesn’t always cause cancer or asthma etc.
It’s genetics as well.
No one should feel guilty if they want to use tobacco or alcohol, 2 legal substances.
You ban those things & you’ll end up with a Prohibition era crime wave.
Pretty soon with Govt sanctioned/forced health care, users of these substances will be reviled & discriminated against.
This $hit is so ridiculous.
I knew a guy that had lung cancer & died from it & never smoked. And wasn’t around 2nd hand smoke, either.
GENETICS.

Badger40 on April 26, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Having a flashback of Jane Curtain on SNL.

Fenris on April 26, 2013 at 12:14 PM