Green Room

Twinkies to return in July

posted at 8:28 am on April 25, 2013 by

Preprocessed sugar junkies rejoice! The Great Twinkie Drought is almost over.  After the collapse of Hostess, junk-food aficionados mourned the loss of Twinkies, as well as Ding Dongs, Ho Hos, and other plastic-wrapped pastries.  However, the old plant in Columbus will reopen in July under new management, and that means sugar highs for everyone:

Standing in front of a big “Welcome Back” banner, an executive for Hostess Brands said Tuesday the new company will hire up to 300 employees and reopen its Columbus plant to make Twinkies and other sweet treats.

The facility at 1969 Victory Drive, known as the Dolly Madison Bakery, is scheduled to be up and running again by July, Hostess Brands LLC Chief Executive Officer Michael J. Cramer said during a press conference at the Greater Columbus Chamber of Commerce.

“Safely, you should be able to buy Twinkies by the end of July,” Cramer said. “I think we will be cranking them out here and a couple of other places around the country.”

The Columbus plant will initially employ 200 people but could create more than 300 jobs eventually, he said. The snack-cake factory had about 420 on its payroll when it closed last November. It was then that Dallas, Texas-based Hostess Brands Inc. shuttered its entire U.S. production and distribution network following a lengthy impasse with worker unions and a couple of rounds in Chapter 11 bankruptcy court.

In April, Hostess Brands Inc. sold the Twinkies, Ding Dongs, Ho Hos and other brands to private investment firms Apollo Global Management and Metropoulos & Co. for $410 million.

No one will be happier than this man ….

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Is Home Pride bread coming back?

PackerBronco on April 25, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Did they get rid of the union that killed it last time?

forest on April 25, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Did they get rid of the union that killed it last time?

forest on April 25, 2013 at 8:56 AM

They sure did.

WisRich on April 25, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Did they get rid of the union that killed it last time?

forest on April 25, 2013 at 8:56 AM

They sure did.

WisRich on April 25, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Oh great. Either: (1) it will have a fighting chance of surviving this time or (2) the union leaders will come back and demand a right to enslave, I mean, unionize, the work force, at which point buh-bye Twinkies in a year or two.

JoAnn1965 on April 25, 2013 at 9:01 AM

JoAnn1965 on April 25, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Possible. But I heard that they at least are outsourcing the delivery part of the supply chain thus no work rules problems that killed hostess.

WisRich on April 25, 2013 at 10:02 AM

A Twinkie look-alike arrived from Tastykake at the local grocery store. I tried one. It tasted and had the texture of one of their butterscotch Krimpets, which isn’t bad, but isn’t a Twinkie.

The Rogue Tomato on April 25, 2013 at 10:18 AM

You can keep the Twinkies…..I’m hoping the cupcakes come back.

tencole on April 25, 2013 at 10:23 AM

AARRGGHH….you know how when you can’t have something all of a sudden you want it more? That’s how I’m feeling right now knowing that they’re coming back.

ScoopPC11 on April 25, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I’m not a big Twinkie fan, but I’m glad they’re coming back. I wonder what they taste like after being soaked in rum? :-)

Ward Cleaver on April 25, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Little Debbie hardest hit.

BornLib on April 25, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Return? I thought the Ding Dong and the Ho Ho were in the White House. Did they take another vacation?

Ronnie on April 25, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Damn it. My wife is going to fall off the Hostess wagon. It took her a long time to get over it.

portlandon on April 25, 2013 at 11:18 AM

The Rogue Tomato on April 25, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Tastykakes rock over Hostess. I’m partial to Peanutbutter Kandy Kakes myself but a Butterscotch Krimpet will do in a pinch. I bet I haven’t had a Twinkie in 30 years, never a fan.

Sparky on April 25, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Is Home Pride bread coming back?

PackerBronco on April 25, 2013 at 8:55 AM

If you mean Nature’s Pride, Flowers Foods (Tastykake) bought them. Flowers also got Wonderbread.

Apollo Management/Hostess Brands LLC seems to have gotten most of the “core” products from Hostess Brands Inc.

Doomberg on April 25, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Is Home Pride bread coming back?

PackerBronco on April 25, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Doomberg on April 25, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Ah wait, it looks like Flowers got Home Pride too.

Basically it appears Apollo Management got the cakes/snacks and Flowers got the breads.

Doomberg on April 25, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Sparky on April 25, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I’m just the opposite re: Tastykakes. I love the Peanut Butter Kandy Kakes (used to be called Tandy Takes), but my favorite is the Butterscotch Krimpet.

The Rogue Tomato on April 25, 2013 at 12:29 PM

the new company will hire up to 300 employees and reopen its Columbus plant

Let me guess, they’ll all be in the union. There are bakeries in Texas you know.

Odysseus on April 25, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Dude… I have been having withdraws. I could eat a Twinkie as long as a train.

Axion on April 25, 2013 at 1:15 PM