Audio and transcript: My one-on-one interview with Marco Rubio
posted at 11:50 am on April 25, 2013 by Guy Benson
The transcript is available at Townhall. Sen. Rubio and I had limited time, so I sought to ask as many questions as possible within the seven-minute window. ‘Tough but fair’ was the intended tone. Here is the gist of my questions:
(1) Trust in the federal government is at an all-time low, especially among conservatives. We don’t trust Washington to get big things right (see: Obamacare). Why should our expectations be any different this time?
(2) Sec. Napolitano recently asserted that the border is secure. Why task her agency with accomplishing a goal that she believes is already a reality?
(3) How is the requirement that DHS fashion two plans a meaningful trigger? (This is the trigger that begins the amnesty process).
(4) The back-stop to a DHS failure is yet another Washington commission, which are punch-lines at this point. Why would this blue ribbon panel be different?
(5) How can the federal government enforce cut-offs and payment of back taxes if applicants for provisional legal status have been operating in the shadows?
Listen or click through for Rubio’s responses.
Recently in the Green Room: