Green Room

Report: Sanford’s sons met fiancee for first time onstage after primary victory

posted at 3:10 pm on April 17, 2013 by

Unbelievable.

Meanwhile, the Washington Post has learned that tensions within the family flared up as recently as April 2, at the celebration of Sanford’s runoff election victory when the former governor thrust two of his sons on-stage with the Argentine woman who was at the center of the spectacular sex scandal that broke up his marriage.

For Sanford’s teenage son Bolton, that very public moment marked the first time he had ever been in the presence of Maria Belen Chapur.

Sanford’s former wife Jenny confirmed in a text message: “That was indeed Bolton’s first intro and both boys were quite upset and visibly so.”

Their son’s discomfort is evident in photos of the event.

Follow the link for the photo. Then explain to me why it would be so terribly bad if Sanford lost to Colbert’s sister. He’ll be done politically and meanwhile the GOP will take the seat back next year. What bill’s going to turn on one vote in the House until then?

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

It could have been worse. They could have met her on the beach when she was wearing her dental floss bikini.

Blake on April 17, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Well, she did turn up there unexpectedly, did she not? But, hasn’t he had years to introduce his kids to her? Why didn’t it happen earlier?

Blake on April 17, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Odd way of handling it. Wouldn’t it be preferable for your kids to meet the woman you are serious about, establish, hopefully, a positive relationship, then announce an engagement?

Blake on April 17, 2013 at 3:19 PM

My dad left my mom for another woman when I was five years old. I met her when I was six. Even though I was too young to understand the circumstances, the moment I met her was extremely awkward and scary. It’s not something that should be put on TV for the whole world to see. Does this man have any consideration for the feelings of others?

Mark1971 on April 17, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Um, because. . . yeah, I got nothing.

rbj on April 17, 2013 at 3:24 PM

That’s the right approach. Here in Idaho, our incumbent Republican congressman was replaced by a Democract in 2008 because he was seen as a clown. Two years later we elected a far superior Republican. No harm was done in that brief interlude.

This is a perfect chance to send a message that we expect our elected representatives to act with honor and dignity.

HidetheDecline on April 17, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I really don’t care if Sanford wins or loses. I just have to point out Jenny Sanford is the walking definition of “hell hath no fury.” A lot of people may find her entirely sympathetic but it has to be noted that she is twisting the knife in here in the name of her children. I wouldn’t exactly say she is covering herself in glory. Did those boys want their mother confirming to the press their feelings on meeting the mistress? I highly doubt it.

msmveritas on April 17, 2013 at 3:32 PM

“Sanford’s sons”… come on, admit it, you had that theme music from the TV show running through your head when you read that…

ddrintn on April 17, 2013 at 3:35 PM

This is outrageous. Sandfords judgement in regards to his personal life, and in particular the decisions that have hurt his sons is unacceptable.

If he treats people he loves like this, how will he treat voters he barely knows?

portlandon on April 17, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Are you serious? Answering a question is not some horrible, vindictive act. Clearly Mark has had no problems with how she has handle herself or else he wouldn’t have asked her to head his campaign again. If she were out holding press conferences with Gloria Alred or sending out press releases smearing him then you might have a point. But answering a question via text message is as mild a rebuke as it gets.

HidetheDecline on April 17, 2013 at 3:44 PM

The only really bad thing that will happen is that Colbert will have even more of a coprophagic grin for the one year his sister holds that district, before getting tossed out in 2014. So, in other words, we lose nothing. And if Sanford happens to win, we’re stuck with a national punchline in our House caucus for the foreseeable future.

As a great philosopher once said, eff that noise. Sanford’s (alleged) conservatism is not enough to offset his scumbaggery. I’m not going to wish Colbert Busch good luck, but I hope that Sanford loses.

KingGold on April 17, 2013 at 3:45 PM

For a moment, I thought that maybe we should just send Sanford and his mistress back to Buenos Aires. Then, I felt really bad about it because the poor Argentines have to deal with a egotistical clown/ Evita wannabe as president. Plus, they’re letting us share their archbishop.

So maybe Anarctica is a better choice?

Illinidiva on April 17, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Sandford ran for this seat, fully aware that he has baggage. But the latest about his being caught in his ex’s house, violating a court order, is too much. He ran, knowing he still had to appear before a judge in regards to this?

This man has no honor.

portlandon on April 17, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Da Da Da DaDa…Big Dummy!

Jim-Rose on April 17, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Bouns — We get to watch her brother turn into Lawrence O’Donnell during the 2014 campaign while defending her liberal House voting record, and then insult the people of South Carolina for failing to re-elect his sister in November.

jon1979 on April 17, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Stephen Colbert won’t have to say one word to get his sister elected.
One of those elections where nearly 90 percent of the women’s vote is guaranteed.

Republican husband to wife: “I voted Mark! Now you vote for him, honey.”
Wife: “I sure will dear.” (Pushes button for Colbert.)

Marcus on April 17, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Watch some third-party indie jump in the gap.

winoceros on April 17, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Why is it a given that Colbert’s sister will lose in ’14?

changer1701 on April 17, 2013 at 4:21 PM

It would be a huge deal if the Dems win the House!

redware on April 17, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Why is it a given that Colbert’s sister will lose in ’14?

changer1701 on April 17, 2013 at 4:21 PM

That is my one fear in this. If it was Joe Schmo local councilman, I’d be fine with it. But I’m afraid that since Colbert is such a lefty icon, money will be pumped in to ensure that the seat stays in her hands.

Illinidiva on April 17, 2013 at 4:26 PM

“Hey, I have a name! Can’t any of you use it? It’s, um… just a sec, teleprompter is still booting, it’ll come to me…”

- Colbert’s sister

Marcola on April 17, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Illinidiva on April 17, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Yeah, I’m thinking the same thing. People might hate Congress, but they typically don’t like to toss out their own reps (see the Mia Love race for a depressing example), and she’ll make sure her voting record is close enough to the center to fool voters into thinking she’s one of them.

I understand that Sanford is a lousy choice (and a lousy husband/father), but the political side of me also doesn’t want the Dems to get the seat, period, especially in a red district.

changer1701 on April 17, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Please someone run a write-in campaign in that district. Even if the net result is to split the vote and give it to his opponent, at least voters could vote for Not Sanford without having to actually vote Dem. And in that strong an R district, given the circumstances, they might even prevail.

TexasDan on April 17, 2013 at 4:36 PM

changer1701 on April 17, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Mia Love’s defeat can completely be blamed on Huntsman’s endorsement of the Democrat. But you are correct about your concern.

Illinidiva on April 17, 2013 at 4:41 PM

HidetheDecline on April 17, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I can understand her being angry. But to talk to the press about her son’s discomfort?

Uncool. Leave the kids out of it.

kim roy on April 17, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Uncool. Leave the kids out of it.

kim roy on April 17, 2013 at 4:57 PM

wow. unbelievable that people are acting like she is doing something wrong. mark is the one who caused that awful moment for the kids. he is the one to blame. she cares that her kids had to go through that. why should she hold back and not say anything? she has every right to say what she said and publicly call out mark on his bs.

there was someone who commented on an earlier thread and said “hotair will always find a way to blame the woman.” and i disagreed with that person earlier but you know what? they were right!! clearly mark is the one in the wrong, but no, people are complaining about jenny for some reason and bringing up the stupid “hell hath no fury like a woman scorned” quote.

Sachiko on April 17, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Does this man have any consideration for the feelings of others?

Mark1971 on April 17, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Apparently not.

ProfessorMiao on April 17, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Uncool. Leave the kids out of it.

kim roy on April 17, 2013 at 4:57 PM

If msmveritas had simply stated that responding to questions about about the children’s reactions to the mistress was inappropriate, I wouldn’t have objected. But msm was trying to paint Jenny as furiously out to publicly attack Mark (“hell hath no fury”, “twisting the knife”) when she was just answering a question that was raised by Mark’s shameless actions.

HidetheDecline on April 17, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Okay, so now voting for Sanford has gotten to the same level I felt when I voted for McCain and Romney.God forbid we stay home and the RINO loses,right?So I will hold my nose again and vote for the conservative,with misgivings.

redware on April 17, 2013 at 5:33 PM

FATHER of the YEAR!

Pork-Chop on April 17, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Please. Families are complicated. Lets focus on beating the Democrat.

MayBee on April 17, 2013 at 5:39 PM

HidetheDecline on April 17, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Fair enough, it would have been better if I had put it as simply as you suggest. I don’t think it is in the best interest of their children for either parent to be commenting in the press about their sons feelings about the divorce. I felt if she had merely stated she had no comment it would have taken some swallowing of her own anger to spare her children. I have no doubt she has plenty of anger and justifiably so. It doesn’t help them if their feelings are used by the media to help derail their father’s bid for office.

msmveritas on April 17, 2013 at 5:58 PM

AP, for once we agree. Sanford is toxic and totally lacking in common sense.

bw222 on April 17, 2013 at 6:06 PM

I can’t believe Jenny Sanford would act like this. She is just terrible.

Rusty Allen on April 17, 2013 at 6:23 PM

msmveritas on April 17, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I’m finding more women on HA coming to the pseudo-defense of Mark “Narcissism” Sanford by going on the offense against Jenny Sanford.

And you women wonder why some men treat you like crap…

If Jenny Sanford walked up to Mark in his own press conference and hit him square on the head with a frying pan, she would be well within her rights to do so. He’s violating court orders, abusing his children with his public behavior by using them as pawns…

Hint: Jenny’s not the problem.

beatcanvas on April 18, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Isn’t this the event when Sanford claimed he was ‘surprised’ by the appearance of his new squeeze? Maybe he knew she would be there, maybe he didn’t. But if he did know , it means he’s still a dumb schmuck.
But why is the ex-wife talking to the press about their dysfunctional family? How does that help protect the privacy of her kids?

lynncgb on April 18, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I’d pay to see this.

Even if he didn’t think that she’d be there, it is odd that his sons have never met their future stepmother before that night. The whole situation is upsetting to them, but wouldn’t getting the children comfortable with the other woman start to heal the pain a bit.

Illinidiva on April 18, 2013 at 12:38 PM