Green Room

Mark Sanford on trespassing at his ex-wife’s house: I just wanted to watch the Super Bowl with my son

posted at 11:56 am on April 17, 2013 by

That’s one of the things that makes him such a good dad.

“It’s an unfortunate reality that divorced couples sometimes have disagreements that spill over into family court. I did indeed watch the second half of the Super Bowl at the beach house with our 14 year old son because as a father I didn’t think he should watch it alone. Given she was out of town I tried to reach her beforehand to tell her of the situation that had arisen, and met her at the back steps under the light of my cell phone when she returned and told her what had happened.

“There is always another side to every story, and while I am particularly curious how records that were sealed to avoid the boys dealing with embarrassment are now somehow exposed less than three weeks before this election, I agree with Jenny that the media is no place to debate what is ultimately a family court matter, and out of respect for Jenny and the boys, I’m not going to have any further comment at this time,” Sanford said.

How is this an excuse? If you want to watch the game with your son, invite him over to your house.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Americaland is just so so so so so so so lucky that devoted public servants like Mark Sanford exist.

Jeddite on April 17, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Yeah, he needs to drop out. Now. He won’t of course.

LukeinNE on April 17, 2013 at 12:03 PM

and met her at the back steps under the light of my cell phone

What? The back steps of rich people’s beach houses don’t have overhead lights?

rbj on April 17, 2013 at 12:05 PM

This of course would be the son who was on stage with dad at the victory party and couldn’t take his eyes off his feet when Charo Coochie showed up on stage next to him.

Marcus on April 17, 2013 at 12:05 PM

if only we could develop technology that would allow us to communicate with someone even when they were out of town. this entire ordeal could be avoided one day in the distant future…

dbilly76 on April 17, 2013 at 12:06 PM

If you tried to reach her beforehand, why’d you show up at the second half? And yet she was there at the house? This is crazy.

John the Libertarian on April 17, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Probably couldn’t take the son back to his house ’cause the other woman was there (and she doesn’t like kids).

Just speculatin’…

Fallon on April 17, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I supported him in the runoff because his opponent is a typical corrupt politician,and I weighted Sanford’s clearly conservative record heavily in my decision to forgive him when he asked for it.Now I am stuck with him.I have to vote for him to stop a Pelosi-type liberal from getting this seat.For those of you who say the seat will revert to the GOP in 2014, I say better Sanford until 2014 than a progressive/socialist.

redware on April 17, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Proof that Sanford thinks rules don’t apply to him.

portlandon on April 17, 2013 at 12:17 PM

What a total psycho p.o.s. goober.

Sacramento on April 17, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Just speculatin’…

Fallon on April 17, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Or a child custody arrangement.

As stupid as this excuse is…it’s totally going to work. Voters who looked past his “Appalachian Trail” flake-out philandering are going to go nuts over this. The “awww shucks” factor has the meter redlined.

TexasDan on April 17, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I’m pretty sure either one of my sons could watch the whole Super Bowl without a parent and live a fulfilled life.

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I get that there’s very little love for Sanford at HA but my
first thought was – what’s with his ex wife filing court
papers over this.

Sounds like a bitter ex to me.

His 14 year old son would not have been in a position to leave the house without his mother’s permission as per the courts.

Jocelyn on April 17, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Sanford and Weiner… just the latest two sides of the same conscience-seared-with-a-hot-iron coin. Maybe they’ll get their own reality show together. I’m sure that’s already being discussed somewhere…

Marcola on April 17, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I get that there’s very little love for Sanford at HA but my
first thought was – what’s with his ex wife filing court
papers over this.

Sounds like a bitter ex to me.

Jocelyn on April 17, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I am with you on this.

If he took the boy to his house without her permission, she would have made a big stink of that too.

Also, given the notoriety of his relationship with the mistress, he may have tried to avoid putting his 14 year-old in uncomfortable position of having to discard momentarily his loyalty to his mom.

vnohara on April 17, 2013 at 1:21 PM

It’s not as though she has NO reason to be a “bitter ex”…good grief. He humiliated his entire family…

ellifint on April 17, 2013 at 1:28 PM

HA once again shows why the GOP is the stupid party.

The guy is unstable. He abdicates his position effectively, (sounds familiar…). And then breaks into his ex-wife’s house? If it were anyone else, he’d be in prison.

HA’s first impulse is to blame the woman!? Bitter womanzes. This is why you dont get the women vote, fools!

The guy is a mental case and an idiot. But he duree sure done love’m some Jeeezzzuszz so that’s all good.

antisense on April 17, 2013 at 1:38 PM

antisense on April 17, 2013 at 1:38 PM

You appear to be just as ignorant as the people you are condemning. Congratulations.

Red Cloud on April 17, 2013 at 1:54 PM

antisense, do you notice that most people here are actually not doing what you said?? we do recognize that the guy is a moron. XD

Sachiko on April 17, 2013 at 2:00 PM

antisense on April 17, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Who’s supporting him, dumbazz? The only thing you can bet on, is that the Democrat is equally or more crazy.

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2013 at 2:06 PM

and met her at the back steps under the light of my cell phone
What? The back steps of rich people’s beach houses don’t have overhead lights?

rbj on April 17, 2013 at 12:05 PM

They do, they must just not have been turned on which comes in handy when trying to sneak in uninvited. Because the front door was obviously not an option as a way to legitimately enter a house. And since the SuperBowl was clearly not some event planned in advance, clearly this had to a be a last-minute decision without any opportunity to plan a visit ahead of time.

Also antisense, your screen name is very apt.

DrAllecon on April 17, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Does anyone wonder what Jenny might has said if he asked to go over and watch the game with their son?

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2013 at 2:25 PM

My father wouldn’t let me watch HALLOWEEN by myself at age fourteen, so I totally understand.

Mr. Arkadin on April 17, 2013 at 2:33 PM

have said

Cindy Munford on April 17, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I get that there’s very little love for Sanford at HA but my first thought was – what’s with his ex wife filing court papers over this.

Sounds like a bitter ex to me.

Jocelyn on April 17, 2013 at 12:25 PM

And women wonder why some men act like jerks and treat them like they do. It’s because y’all fall for the same old crap over and over.

Let’s see… Sanford cheated on his wife, abdicated his job as governor, asked Jenny to run his campaign as she has in the past, paraded his hootchie on TV in front of his son, who was clearly uncomfortable…

Yeah. That Jenny Sanford. She’s something else.

You ever heard the song “Brick” by Albert Collins?

beatcanvas on April 17, 2013 at 2:47 PM

I get that there’s very little love for Sanford at HA but my
first thought was – what’s with his ex wife filing court
papers over this.

Sounds like a bitter ex to me.

Jocelyn on April 17, 2013 at 12:25 PM

“The couple’s 2010 divorce agreement says neither may enter the other’s house without permission.”

His defense is “I really wanted to so the court ruling shouldn’t apply”.

And you’re good with this?

Can anyone ignore court rulings if they really want to; or do we reserve this right for “special” people who deserve special rights?

Oh wait, this was an emergency… the Super Bowl was on.

Really, if you’re going to defend trespassing and violating a court order; you’re going to want something more than “I wanted to” for your defense.

gekkobear on April 17, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I am with you on this.

vnohara on April 17, 2013 at 1:21 PM

His ONLY choice was to violate the court order under his Divorce agreement… he couldn’t have not trespassed and not broken the court order; otherwise he wouldn’t have been allowed to do what he wanted to do.

We can’t have him not allowed to do whatever he wants; so violating the court order should be acceptable.

Any chance you’ve got a better argument than this? Or do you think this argument will hold up under scrutiny?

Is every American allowed to violate court order if they want to?

gekkobear on April 17, 2013 at 3:00 PM

We don’t know what their marriage was like on the inside and the “girlfriend” is now his fiance.

If he was running around with different women it would be easier to knock him. But in my opinion it looks like he was unhappy and found someone who he’s happy with and is in a stable relationship.

It happens to lots of people, they aren’t all bad people.

I still think it’s extreme to go to court over this and creepy that the visitation is so regimented that it’s court worthy that he saw his son while his son was alone. Is there a child abuse issue? That’s the type of rule an abuser has.

That is why I think the ex wife is bitter. I’m sorry it hurt her and it didn’t work out but that’s what happened and healthy people grieve and move on. I know it is VERY SAD AND PAINFUL. I do feel bad for her.

Jocelyn on April 17, 2013 at 3:36 PM

mea culpa – i read the complaint issue again, that he’s not allowed in her house without permission.

that was very wrong of him to do, I see that.

I was focused on him seeing his son alone.

Jocelyn on April 17, 2013 at 3:46 PM

But he duree sure done love’m some Jeeezzzuszz so that’s all good.

antisense on April 17, 2013 at 1:38 PM

More bigotry from the Left. It never ends.

John the Libertarian on April 17, 2013 at 3:51 PM

How anyone can condone this is beyond me. He was a POS to cheat…and who gives a crap if he had one lover or many? I bet it humiliated his wife even more to hear that this woman was the love of his life…my neighbor had that happen to her years ago, and it was like a knife in the back. That was worse for her than the thought of him just wanting to hook up with lots of women (though it would ALL be bad, I imagine). People break up, but he handled it horribly, and now he thinks the rules don’t apply to him?? Just shaking my head here…

ellifint on April 17, 2013 at 3:54 PM

If you wanted to watch the Super Bowl with your son, you should have stayed married to your wife. Otherwise, a court will decide what you can and can’t do.

Mr. MacIan on April 17, 2013 at 5:11 PM