Green Room

Did Windows 8 kill PC sales?

posted at 5:00 pm on April 12, 2013 by

For the first time in more than 20 years, I didn’t have any machines to update when Microsoft first released Windows 8 (although I later did play with it a bit in a virtual drive on my Macbook and Mac Mini).  My, how times have changed.  Where in the past a new Windows release would have prompted a big increase in computer sales, Windows 8 seems to have turned into sales poison.  Or is it the emergence of full-power tablets?

Has the shift from PC to tablet finally reached the point of no return? There’s been chatter about the “post-PC” era for years, particularly after the introduction of the iPad. But recent data suggest that we may finally have reached the tipping point.

Since the start of the year, the PC market has seen its steepest quarterly decline ever — 13.9 percent, according to a report from International Data Corp. That news comes on the heels of a Gartner report predicting the PC market will shrink as much as 3.5 percent over 2013 in favor of ultra-light notebooks and tablets. …

None of this is particularly surprising. But it is bad news for Microsoft, whose new Windows 8 system is being partly blamed for the market’s poor performance. When the company introduced Windows 8 in October, the operating system was supposed to help a flagging PC market gain — or at least lose less — ground against tablets, with a new touch-based interface. Instead, sales of PCs have dropped faster, and analysts are saying that sales aren’t coming back.

“At this point, unfortunately, it seems clear that the Windows 8 launch not only failed to provide a positive boost to the PC market, but appears to have slowed the market,” said Bob O’Donnell of IDC in a press release. “Microsoft will have to make some very tough decisions moving forward if it wants to help reinvigorate the PC market.”

Yahoo Finance is much less diplomatic about it.  The PC sales market tanked this year, and a large share of blame goes to Microsoft:

As if that news wasn’t’ troubling enough, it appears that a pivotal makeover of Microsoft’s ubiquitous Windows operating system seems to have done more harm than good since the software was released last October.

“This is horrific news for PCs,” said BGC Financial analyst Colin Gillis. “It’s all about mobile computing now. We have definitely reached the tipping point.” …

In an attempt to keep the PC relevant, Microsoft released a radical new version of Windows last fall. Windows 8 has a completely new look that’s similar to the design of the software running the most popular smartphones and tablet computers. The overhaul requires a relearning process, a leap that many consumers and corporate buyers aren’t ready to take.

All signs so far point to Windows 8 being a flop. …

The newest version of Windows is designed to work well with touch-sensitive screens, but the displays add to the cost of a PC. Together, the changes and higher prices “have made PCs a less attractive alternative to dedicated tablets and other competitive devices,” O’Donnell said.

From the very limited experience I had with Win8, I was … not impressed.  Win7 was a much better desktop and laptop experience, far more intuitive to existing users and more stable than the last several Windows products, at least in my experience. I was a little surprised that Microsoft dumped it all for a completely fresh start. It should be noted, though, that running Win8 in a “virtual machine” caused a lot of performance issues, which I knew was the case, too.

Honestly, I think I’d still prefer a Win7 environment to the MacBook OS, as it seemed as though I had better control over performance.  But if Win8 is the only option, I think I’d prefer to stick with what I have.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Also, it’s better than Windows 7 in a lot of respects. It let’s you mount VHDs and ISOs and run Hyper-V. It has a much nicer Task Manager and file transfer screen.

Fezzik on April 12, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I just bought a desktop…with Windows 7

Dack Thrombosis on April 12, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Windows 8 is better than Windows 7 once you install a start menu. There is a good free start menu option called ClassicShell that allows you to have a startmenu in the Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 style. It has a lot of options that you can tweak the menu to your liking and you can force the OS into regular desktop mode or give yourself the option to go either way if you want.

Like Fezzik said, you can mount VHD’s, ISO’s, run Hyper V 3 machines, etc.

Microsoft’s problem was that they were last out of the gate with touch screen devices. Now that everybody’s grown accustomed to Apple and Droid touch screen tablets, that’s it for Microsoft methinks.

With smart phones and tablets grabbing a bigger market share, and with the portability of these products, they will win eventually.

SauerKraut537 on April 12, 2013 at 7:23 PM

It doesn’t help that Paul Allen is at the helm over there…

SauerKraut537 on April 12, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Coke 2 redux.

WryTrvllr on April 12, 2013 at 7:36 PM

SauerKraut537 on April 12, 2013 at 7:23 PM

It’s not really a question of desktops vs portables. Tablets and phones are for consumption. Desktops are necessary for production (software and media). Until recently, most people bought desktops because that’s all that was available in the digital/networked space. Now the portables are filling that demand. Desktop market share will decline until it reaches the level of those that *need* desktop to produce. But desktops are not going away.

AUINSC on April 12, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Easily addressed by formatting the HD and reinstalling Win7. has the advantage of clearing out all the bloatware that tends to come bundled with a new PC.

(Or 64bit WinXP.)

Jeddite on April 12, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Excellent idea!

And apparently I sit corrected.
Per one of the following comments, you can still buy a new PC with 7.
Get it while it’s hot, I suppose.

22044 on April 12, 2013 at 7:50 PM

SauerKraut537

Win 8 is not better than Win 7…heck, Win 8 can’t even beat Droid and is about to get thrashed by FireFox OS.

I just tried the ClassicShell you mentioned…still new, but seems ok so far, except the Computer won’t show full properties in it. Taskbar File Explorer can open it fully or the desktop can handle it if you want it on the desktop. It does eliminate having to bounce around 3 corners and between desktop and Start Page…thanbks for the tip!

Karmi on April 12, 2013 at 8:07 PM

SauerKraut537 on April 12, 2013 at 7:23 PM

LOVE “Classic Shell” ….. I’m using it with Win 7, and it’s GREAT !

Holy balls ….. I agree with with SauerKraut’ ! … : )

listens2glenn on April 12, 2013 at 8:23 PM

You can tell this smoking pile of propaganda is hot off the press of a diehard Mac user. Geezuz.

HopeHeFails on April 12, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Take this from someone from the IT industry – windows 8 is poison. MS is insane.

MS holds their position because they maintained standards and backward compatibility. You bought the next version of a program because you used the last version of the same program going back as far as you can remember.

MS has destroyed that.

Windows as a product has become much less consistent from version to version requiring people relearn how to use most of the OS as they go forward. And more importantly, backward compatibility has become very unreliable. We can’t count on last year’s software working on next year’s OS.

Consider this from a corporate perspective. We develop proprietary software to run our business. Custom databases and so forth which cost hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars to develop to say nothing of being a massive pain in the ass.

What OS are we going to write them for? The OS that remains consistent, cheap, accessible, well known, etc? Of course. But is that OS MS Windows? In the past, it was… but changing everything around all the time makes linux more competitive because linux maintains backward compatibility and consistency from one release to the next.

We don’t want to switch but MS is forcing our hands.

Karmashock on April 12, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Jeddite on April 12, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Excellent idea!

And apparently I sit corrected.
Per one of the following comments, you can still buy a new PC with 7.
Get it while it’s hot, I suppose.

22044 on April 12, 2013 at 7:50 PM

What would Microsoft over-charge for an OS “downgrade”?

As far as I’m concerned … if you buy a new PC with Win 8 and find you don’t like it, they should let you downgrade for FREE.

listens2glenn on April 12, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Windows 8 looks interesting, but I’m not sure I’m up for all the break dancing.

J_Crater on April 12, 2013 at 8:33 PM

We don’t want to switch but MS is forcing our hands.

Karmashock on April 12, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I’d really like to disagree with you ……………. but I can’t !. . . : (

listens2glenn on April 12, 2013 at 8:34 PM

At least Win 8 is waterproof – A report says Apple will settle a class-action lawsuit over denied warranty claims. It appears that many people with broken iPhones were wrongly turned away by Apple. A water-ingress indicator made by 3M could incorrectly indicate water damage, it seems. Estimates say each claimant will get around $200.

The phones had other problems…too numerous to mention here.

Karmi on April 12, 2013 at 9:03 PM

If you have Windows 7 (especially 64 bit) and miss the things that ran in XP but don’t run in 7, you can download a virtual XP machine here:

It takes a while but it works.

By the way, you can map the regular C drive as a letter on the virtual machine as \\TSclient\C After you’ve built the virtual machine and started it up, click on Tools, Map Network Drive, pick a letter (B works nice), and type in \\TSclient\C in the folder box.

This resolved a lot of headaches for me. The mapping does not go away when you close the virtual machine. (The XM VM just hibernates.)

Pythagoras on April 12, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Could be that PCs have reached a plateau in terms of features and power. One doesn’t feel the need to upgrade to a whole new system quite so often anymore. I don’t think it means the end of the PC, just the end of the buy-a-new-one-every-two-years-or-you’re-a-poo-poo-head thing.

ddrintn on April 12, 2013 at 9:30 PM

PCs suck. Apple is far superior.

John the Libertarian on April 12, 2013 at 9:49 PM

ddrintn on April 12, 2013 at 9:30 PM

It depends entirely what you need the computer for. Most people don’t need the computing power that a new PC brings. They just use it for some basic programs, to surf the web, to watch some movies, etc.

They don’t need a terabyte hard drive, a state of the art GPU, a top speed CPU, lots of RAM, etc. They would be perfectly fine with a dual core computer. Always buy for use and not just what’s offered.

njrob on April 12, 2013 at 9:53 PM

John the Libertarian on April 12, 2013 at 9:49 PM

I hope that’s a joke. Otherwise, there’s just one word to describe you… FANBOY.

njrob on April 12, 2013 at 9:53 PM

PCs suck. Apple is far superior.

John the Libertarian on April 12, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Apple blows chinese tranny dong.

tom daschle concerned on April 12, 2013 at 10:01 PM

John the Libertarian on April 12, 2013 at 9:49 PM

I hope that’s a joke. Otherwise, there’s just one word to describe you… FANBOY.

njrob on April 12, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I guess it’s a matter of taste. I changed from Windows to Mac 5 years ago and will never go back.

Gelsomina on April 12, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Okay, I tried Win 8. I gave it an honest to God chance. I hated it. A lot. Installing even a simple network N900 card was a chore.I could not pop in the CD and install… heck I could not just DL the software from the manufactures site and install… I had to do all this extra stuff and in the end , did get it to work, but a normal user would have givin up long before that.

Even the basic “I just want to shut down my PC ” had to be done via 2 extra clicks…. Then to search for a file …

They really did a overhaul on the OS, sadly not for the best. I ended up putting win7 back on where everything works just wonderful.

As for JtL, your a fan boy nothing more. I hate apple because I can not piece and upgrade as I go along. My Mobo is the best of its day ( sckt 775 ) which BTW , runs a xeon CPU that would most likely to this day compete with anything apple out now. The video card I just upgraded. Can you piece together and upgrade as you go alone with an Apple? I dont think so, not to the extent you can with the PC.

Plus the fact I can put together 4 desktops for the same price as one apple and they are equivalent… yeah.

As I always say, you could put a pile of brown stuff in a paper bag and put the apple logo on it, and the hipsters would pay top dollar for it because its from apple.

watertown on April 12, 2013 at 10:07 PM

I’m not sure about the impact of Windows 8 because I haven’t even tried it yet, but speaking for myself, now that Microsoft, (or is it just Bill Gates?), is collaborating with Bloomturd to set up a fascist information and surveillance network in NY, I probably won’t be upgrading my MS OS anytime soon. If buying software from a company means I’ll be promoting Bloomturd and fascism I would rather find more patriotic alternative to MS products whenever possible. I’ve been a Microsoft fan all of my life but no longer. Granted, Apple has a lot of problems of it’s own, but I’m no longer a loyal MS fan as I always have been and am in no hurry to buy anymore of their products.

FloatingRock on April 12, 2013 at 10:12 PM

I needed to buy a new laptop last month, and I specifically looked around for a Windows 7 machine. They’re still out there, though you have to look around. They aren’t at Best Buy. Maybe Walmart, and most likely at a small local computer shop.

I do not have a tablet, don’t desire a tablet, and therefore I have no use for Windows 8. I’m perfectly happy with my new machine not only on Windows 7 but also with classic settings.

Gingotts on April 12, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Gelsomina on April 12, 2013 at 10:02 PM

For what purpose? Do you enjoy spending more money for a brand name or did you find a legitimate reason to switch and stay?

njrob on April 12, 2013 at 10:15 PM

MS seems to alternate between good & bad OS.

95 – not great
98 – good
Me – terrible
XP – good
Vista – bad
7 – good
8 – TBD, but not promising

Seem right?

22044 on April 12, 2013 at 5:26 PM

The Star Trek movie pattern comes to mind…

Though in fairness I thought 95 was good, and Vista was okay once you shut off the User Account Nanny.

Gingotts on April 12, 2013 at 10:23 PM

The problem with down grading to Win7 on a Win8 machine is that you have to also find the drivers for the hardware specific to your machine.
Win8 sucks for laptops/desktops and it is KILLING the business. It’s fine for tabs..but if MS continues to hold the desktop/laptop users hostage in the face of clear and convincing evidence that we HATE it…they will force movement to other systems and force people to hang onto their systems. I advised a relative last week with a broken old CELERON laptop screen…to go get the screen fixed for $150 bucks rather than buy a new Win8 machine. Repeat millions of times and kill the PC business. YES…you can still buy some custom Win7 machines from Dell and HP but the prices suck. Any pre-built Win7 machines still left in the chain are relics and unwanted designs.

Tabs are great…I’ve got one from Samsung/Android. 10″.
Does not BEGIN to replace my laptop but is handy. Why KILL a market when you can have TWO markets?? One thing for sure…I will NEVER buy a windows based tablet after this power play and intransigence. Android gives me a choice. Google might just wanna think about the STRATEGIC opening MS has given them in the desktop/laptop market and deliver something people can’t get today.

Wise up MS. End rant.

camaraderie on April 12, 2013 at 10:31 PM

PCs suck. Apple is far superior.

John the Libertarian on April 12, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Not everyone is a 1%er. I’m fine with windows 8, but I prefer 7.

nobar on April 12, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Writing this on a laptop running XP .
Wake me when it no longer works. Until then….
J-Paul00 on April 12, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Which will be next year, when Microshaf…er Microsoft finally stops releasing security updates.
Steve Eggleston on April 12, 2013 at 6:11 PM

It’ll still work.
Axe on April 12, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Mostly as a zombie if left online.
Steve Eggleston on April 12, 2013 at 6:41 PM

J-Paul00 on April 12, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Writing this on a laptop running XP .
Wake me when it no longer works. Until then….
J-Paul00 on April 12, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Steve Eggleston on April 12, 2013 at 6:11 PM

It’ll still work.
Axe on April 12, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Mostly as a zombie if left online.
Steve Eggleston on April 12, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Was planning to get a tablet/e-reader (Kindle?) sometime before then to use for internet access. Use the PC offline for Word/Excel and hard drive storage. My question is how to transfer podcasts from tablet to phone’s mp3 player if no USB port? Or downloaded documents from tablet to PC?

J-Paul00 on April 12, 2013 at 10:48 PM

And “the ribbon” for Word was the best marketing tool ever — for Open Office and every other word processing system.

PattyJ on April 12, 2013 at 11:02 PM

I have a nice combination of XP, Win7, Win7Pro, Win8Pro, and Linux machines.

Two things bad about Windows 8 over Windows 7: (a) the removal of the shutdown buttons, and (b) the removal of all of the codecs necessary to play blu-ray disks

(a) can be fixed here:

If anyone’s played with an iPad or a Nexus, they can understand where Microsoft was going with this interface — but those of us with keyboards and mice do not.

Microsoft, of course, still hates IBM and its methodologies, so they never learned what IBM learned about providing backwards compatibility. When IBM introduced a brand new mainframe architecture — the S/360 — they made sure that every line of older 7000 series code — written in an instruction set not even vaguely like the S/360′s — would run faultlessly on the new machines. It’s as if Intel, to please older Apple customers, built a PowerPC into each x86 chip. What’s even more amazing is that when IBM introduced the S/370 architecture 10 years later, it still could run the old 1400 and 7000 series programs. Would that Microsoft have kept that kind of backward compatibility….

(b) cannot be fixed without substantial costs, because those codecs are licensed and Microsoft chose to not provide them because of the fees. Of course, this is where normally liberal Microsoft takes a conservative stance — it figures that if you want the codecs you are willing to pay for them from a third party vender. In this case free enterprise means that anyone wanting to play blu-ray media will have to fork over an extra $50+ bucks to get what used to come in the package in Windows 7. Even worse is that most third party venders have yet to port their players into the Win8 environment — some because their players depended on the existence of the Microsoft provided codec, and others because they have to deal with new desktop integration APIs and that takes time.

I made the mistake of upgrading my HTPC. I’ve had to connect a real blu-ray player to the TV as a result. Kind of annoying — the reason you build an HTPC is to not have to invest in other equipment…

unclesmrgol on April 12, 2013 at 11:58 PM

PCs suck. Apple is far superior.

John the Libertarian on April 12, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Every Apple computer nowadays is a PC at heart. So much so that you can install Windows on one and it will run just fine. Apple has chosen to bundle its OS with its hardware, and I’ve never cottoned much to being held hostage.

Which is why I mainly use Linux.

unclesmrgol on April 13, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Which is why I mainly use Linux.

unclesmrgol on April 13, 2013 at 12:03 AM

How are you held hostage by a computer that you just said can run Mac OS or Windows (or Linux)?

Ronnie on April 13, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Vista was the beginning of the end for me. I work in videogames/tech, and when Vista was released, I had just been outsourced to a major tech company in SoCal with a brand new laptop sporting containing Vista; what a world of pain I invited, right at the wrong time. New gaming service I need to audit? Sorry, Vista doesn’t support VS6 at this time. Flash program I need to troubleshoot? Sorry, Flash 8 is known to have issues with Vista. Simple line-in recording, which has been a Windows feature since ME? Sorry, Vista disables this feature at the request of the music cartel, er I mean, to fight “music piracy”. Oops, nevermind, my Broadcom adapter/motherboard/NVidia card/insert whichever part just got disabled in the latest Vista update.

The insult to injury was MS’s lousy attitude during the Vista disaster, hating on critics, acting as if it were all grandmas having trouble with UAC, and then blaming it all on manufacturers/devs when they were cornered. The idea that Ballmer and co. were hanging out patting themselves on the back for Vista while I had to trot over to my bosses to explain why something as normal as “X” won’t work on my new spiffy laptop thanks to their crappy OS still grates.

After the Vista debacle I downgraded to XP and left hilariously detailed steps on the forums of the laptop’s maker (“PEOPLE: I KNOW YOUR PAIN”). I still get emails from that forum to this day from people thanking me for those steps to downgrade to XP, I must’ve been like Prometheus to them.

I now own a MacBook Pro, partly because of changes in the industry, but also because frankly because there’s no point in continually rewarding MS and Ballmer for their lousy attitude and stinking up the place. I never got to try Win7, they say it was a better Vista, but ANYTHING would be better and it’s mere existence pretty much validates what all the haters were saying. I did try Win8 while stopping at a Staples to grab an invoice from an email I needed, it definitely has “Ballmer” written all over it. Unintuitive design meets fugly interface with a dash of trying-to-hard, yeah what could go wrong.

smiley on April 13, 2013 at 2:09 AM

I’ll stick with my Mac, thanks.

Bob’s Kid on April 12, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Enjoy paying for the privilege of owning an “Apple product.” I’ll stick with my own Windows 7 computers that I built myself with high quality innards for less than you paid for your Mac. I’ll take the leftover cash and use it elsewhere.

P.S. Windows 8 is crap for anyone that actually enjoys using a PC.

njrob on April 12, 2013 at 6:58 PM

And I’ll take the cheaper hardware that is made for Windows, and run Linux on it. Win-Win.

There Goes the Neighborhood on April 13, 2013 at 2:27 AM

There Goes the Neighborhood on April 13, 2013 at 2:27 AM

I dual boot Ubuntu and Win 8 on a raid5 Samsung 840 Pro 256gb SSD set with intel i7 pro processor and 32gb of ram. Both boot in about 8-10 seconds. Performance ranking 7.9 in Windows. I do a lot of lab work with networking VMWare and Hyper V so use every bit of my PC.

Sorry for the geek out. ;-)

I love Windows 8, it runs my games better and I have no issues, it found all my hardware without issue. Hyper-V 3, etc…

If you have older hardware on your PC, a fresh install might be troublesome. Use Vista or Win7 drivers if you can but older hardware just doesn’t cut it. If your rig is over 6 months old it’s probably outdated, if you’re a bleeding edge kind of user.

SauerKraut537 on April 13, 2013 at 2:41 AM

Free. All the things you need to make 8 look like 7.

But I run Vista and I’ve been happy with it for 4 years. As long as I don’t have problems besides finding out where they hid something in the control panel, I’m happy. I want a desktop. I want a real keyboard and a real monitor and a mouse. And I don’t want a Mac.

vityas on April 13, 2013 at 5:27 AM

You can still buy pc’s with win7 on them. You just have to be willing to buy used/refurb/build it. Just bought a desktop a couple of months ago with 7 on it. I specifically stayed away from 8. I also bought from reputable online sources such as newegg and tiger direct to get great deals with maximum benefit.

Logus on April 13, 2013 at 7:10 AM

It’ll still work.

Axe on April 12, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Mostly as a zombie if left online.

Steve Eggleston on April 12, 2013 at 6:41 PM

IT’LL STILL WORK

everything’s going to be fine

it’ll be fine

it’ll be fine

Axe on April 13, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Logus on April 13, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Yep. I’ve built my own systems and both of those sites are great. People should try building their own PCs. It’s easy and you save a lot. You can still get windows 7 online. I think Microsoft has made retail chains get rid of wind. 7 though. Which is plain ignorant. They want to force people to buy the new product they don’t want.

Laptops are nice. ipads are nice. I prefer a desktop. At some point you’ve reached what you were striving for. Don’t ruin it. Change for the sake of change is not innovation. New isn’t always better.

JellyToast on April 13, 2013 at 7:55 AM

P.S: How many of you know that MS strong-armed venders to MS8 and forced them to discontinue the option of MS7 for their customers?

JimmyGee on April 12, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Really? You mean just like they’ve been strong-arming vendors into not offering other OSes for the last three decades?

I loved OS/2 but between Microsoft’s dirty tricks and IBM’s general marketing ineptitude, it never really had much of a chance. When I finally switched, it was to Mac.

Odysseus on April 13, 2013 at 8:07 AM

I initially disliked Windows 8 but after getting used to it, there’s no way I would want to go back to Win7. The Start tiles work just fine for me and I find it easier to work through the Start tiles than the Win7 Start menu. I used it both touch mode and mouse/keyboard mode. The OS is fast and responsive and stable. In my own system I loaded Win8 onto an mSATA drive, putting my data files on my laptop’s HDD. Win8 boots up in about 12 seconds — faster than my iPad.

This change was exactly the right thing for MS to do. They needed an OS that would easily scale from mobile devices to tablets to laptops and Win8 does that.

In looking through these posts I see a lot of “Win8 sucks” messages but very little substantive arguments to back up those claims.

PackerBronco on April 13, 2013 at 8:26 AM

What would Microsoft over-charge for an OS “downgrade”?

listens2glenn on April 12, 2013 at 8:30 PM

I know that the MicroCenter over here has been advertising free downgrade rights.

I’ve taken a look at Windows 8. It’s terrible. I hate everything about the Metro GUI. I hate the tiles. I hate the start screen. I’ll stick with Windows 7… which itself I’ve customized to look like Windows XP / 98 as much as possible. Classic shell all the way!

Stoic Patriot on April 13, 2013 at 8:58 AM

My old XP box died a permanent death, just as Vista came out…

Like many, I was appalled at the poor performance, ridiculous attempt to emulate the new OSX flashy stuff, and other apparent weirdnesses.

After finding out you could disable the “Aero Experience”, and do without shadows on your cursor and other rubbish, I actually got the thing to perk along at least as well as XP, and enjoyed a lot of the background functions for years. I have two PC’s and a laptop at home, nicely networked and working just fine, thanks!

Comes Win 7. IMO, it’s Vista, with a few upgrades and perks.

Turn off all the junk, use a classic theme, and, even on a smallish RAM PC, you too will be screaming along with the best of them!

After 4 weeks of Windows 8 (test at work), I cannot tell you how much I despise tiles. It’s rather like a computer for the illiterate, a menu with pictures of food rather than a description. Creepy.

I feel as though I have been demoted as a thinking human being to “infant who will be entertained by color and movement”.

Not impressed. Mostly annoyed.

heldmyw on April 13, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Windows 8 is better than Windows 7 once you install a start menu.

SauerKraut537 on April 12, 2013 at 7:23 PM

WTH should I have to install a start menu? That’s the one thing an OS is supposed to do is give you organized, simple access to your files and programs! Instead, Windows has spent years aggregating all sorts of crpola that handles all sorts of other stuff that should be third-party, just so it can be the sole provider of everything. And, now, they have taken out the one thing they’re supposed to do!

If they would fix the dang patent/copyright system so software is a patent and not a copyright, this could be solved in a hurry.

GWB on April 13, 2013 at 9:47 AM

heldmyw on April 13, 2013 at 9:05 AM

So, it’s another go at MS Bob? Oh, *face in hands* joy……….

GWB on April 13, 2013 at 9:49 AM

The girlfriend balked at Windows 8, so now she has a Chromebook. It’s actually nice; when Microsoft, Adobe, or Mozilla screw up and render my computer unusable, we can use hers. And when Google screws up and renders her computer unusable, we can use mine… though that happens far more rarely. Unfortunately, diversity might be the best solution to a buggy software ecosystem. And having different versions of Windows doesn’t count.

calbear on April 13, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Comes Win 7. IMO, it’s Vista, with a few upgrades and perks.

Agreed about 7. MS got great press for just not screwing it up again. As for 8: see http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/photoshop/9/0/1/173901.jpg?v=1 which is from http://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_559_if-you-could-tell-companies-one-thing-about-their-products/?view=article

calbear on April 13, 2013 at 10:01 AM