Green Room

Hot Air for smartphones! (Updated and bumped)

posted at 5:00 pm on April 11, 2013 by

Not optimized for tablets, at least not yet, but Hot Air readers can now access us on the go through their smartphones.  Hot Air has a new mobile app in both iTunes and Google Play that brings you everything — Headlines, Green Room, the main blog, even the comments!  Be sure to download it and give it a try, and let us know how you like it.

Note: You may need to search “hot air news” or “hot air blog” to find it.  It won’t come up near the top in many searches. The icon is the red flame in our logo on a black background.

Update: I want this to stay up on the home page.  The Powers That Be are reading the feedback, and we appreciate the heads-up comments on things that need improvement.

I should note that there are a couple of good tips in here for those who want to use this app on a tablet — and my brand-spankin’-new Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (Android) runs the app really nicely.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

You guys need to post the link to Google Play to make it easier. You can remotely install it to all Android devices from the website.

Just click install, and then sign in to your Google account, and then select your advice and it will install to your phone without you having to touch it.

thphilli on April 11, 2013 at 8:41 PM

I am a happy man.

princetrumpet on April 11, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Thphilli is right about needing post a direct link to the app download page.

Here’s the link to the app for iPhone / iOS users:

I so hope they make a lot of changes and improvements to this app ok future versions. It desperately needs it.

bluegill on April 11, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Text search in the article and comments would be nice

gwelf on April 11, 2013 at 8:51 PM

It would be great to be able to quote other commenters in composing your own comment

gwelf on April 11, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Happy, happy, happy…

d1carter on April 11, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Is there a fast way to get to the last comment that I’ m not seeing? Paging of comments?

d1carter on April 11, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Is there a fast way to get to the last comment?

d1carter on April 11, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Could you page comments?

d1carter on April 11, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Weird! I’m only getting audio on earphones but not audible from IPhone speakers?

d1carter on April 11, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Is there a fast way to get to the last comment?
d1carter on April 11, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Not that I could see. That needs to be fixed. Until then, good luck trying to read threads with hundreds of comments.

bluegill on April 11, 2013 at 10:26 PM

It’s nice, but you have that link for the mobile site, and that works well. Could you put that link at the top of the page instead of the bottom? [Lumbergh voice] That would be greeeaaat. :)

Jeff Weimer on April 11, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Ed, is there any chance of getting this app ported to the BlackBerry environment? I’m one of those luddites who’s still attached to the BlackBerry, and with the shiny new BlackBerry 10 looking good, will probably stay that way.

Shump on April 11, 2013 at 10:40 PM

They really need to include a bar for text macros for quickly inserting HTML tags (quoting, bold, italics, strike through, etc). I have seen this on iPhone app text editors before. Such a bar is placed directly above the default keypad. This can and should be done here. Would make commenting soon much better, and would be similar to the full website experience.

And why don’t they take advantage of the slide-out/hidden menu option. HuffPost app uses this.

Also, since commenting and interacting in the comments is a big part of the experience for many HotAir regulars, they really need to group the comments better so that it is easier to jump straight to the newest comments. A 100-per-page organization system, similar to how it is on the website, would be very nice.

bluegill on April 11, 2013 at 10:41 PM

My question: What took so long? I’ve been wanting a Hot Air app forever.

Now, if you could only fix the error on the non-mobile site that makes every page on it reload every 15 minutes, we’d be sittin’ pretty.

BigWillieStyles on April 11, 2013 at 10:55 PM

I’ve gone to hotair.com many a time on my Android phone, so I should be looking forward to this. But I have to say, if it’s loaded with as many ads as I encounter on the web site, it’s not worth it.

I’ll give it a try, though.

Circling The Drain on April 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Seems to work.

sadatoni on April 12, 2013 at 12:24 AM

I’ll give it a try, though.
Circling The Drain on April 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Guess what. It has just as many ads, but they are positioned in between places where you have to tap the screen. So, the placement of the ads is even more annoying on the app. I wish Salem would look at HuffPost app and NY Times app, since neither of those has such annoying placement of ads.

bluegill on April 12, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Aw, where’s my free smart-phone?

I’m gonna sue my eyeglasses.

hillbillyjim on April 12, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Wow. This app is no bueno. Seriously, it took this long to come up with this? And still no real mobile web version either?

C’mon guys. For reals. The crap ads on here are just the worst. I feel embarrassed that this app was made by my favorite conservative blog.

If anyone truly wants a convenient and simple way to read articles on here from your ipad or iPhone, go check out the rss reader called Feedly. It’s the only way I check hotair headlines when I’m away from my desktop.

Sadly, I’ll be deleting this hot air turd of an app that feels like it was designed in 2007.

The year is 2013. This app is like using blogger when everyone has moved on to tumblr or WordPress. Or using yahoo mail when the rest of the world is using gmail.

Now let me tell you how I really feel about this app ;)

johnnyboy on April 12, 2013 at 3:00 AM

Finally!

sandspur on April 12, 2013 at 6:47 AM

Really what is needed is a decent mobile version of the website instead of this crappy app. As I type this in on my nexus 7 I just get the feeling that the site in general needs a major overhaul. Both the standard desktop version and the creation of a new mobile version need to be on someone’s to do list.

Defenestratus on April 12, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Why is this region-locked? I’m an American expat living in Israel and it’s not available on the Israeli Google Play Store.

I accessed Google Play through a US-based VPN to install it. Region-locking is one of the dumbest things that developers can do…

solatic on April 12, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I turned on alerts and think that is a great feature. However, why is it that I get an alert but the new posting doesn’t show in the app until 5-10 minutes later? I can go online and see the posting on hotair.com right away. I even use the refresh button in the app, but no new posting. Anyone else experiencing this?

huskerjeff on April 12, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Note: You may need to search “hot air news” or “hot air blog” to find it. It won’t come up near the top in many searches.

Search hotair.com. It will come up as the only result.

RadClown on April 12, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I’m still having audio problems with video on Iphone 5. No problems when viewing through Safari..?

d1carter on April 12, 2013 at 10:09 AM

How do you get all of the comments to load? Also why can’t I make a paragraph in the app… lol.

FadeToBolivia on April 12, 2013 at 11:52 AM

YO! Can I get HotAir on my ObamaPhone???

Marcola on April 12, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Just the app…or might you also be optimizing the site for mobile?
(e.g. ‘m.hotair.com’.)

verbaluce on April 12, 2013 at 12:12 PM

This along the same issue. I sure hope HA doesn’t do what Michelle Malkin did with her site because I have almost zero computer knowledge and don’t know how to get on to log in. But I don’t get on very often anyway. If HA does, please give a heads up so myself/others will know how to post.

The new smartphone news for HA sounds great for those who use it.
L

letget on April 12, 2013 at 12:44 PM

App won’t rotate to landscape…
No idea how to utilize “strong, emphasis, link,or strike“…
Refresh doesn’t really refresh…

… as has been said, a mobile version would be superior to this crap appeteaser.

M240H on April 12, 2013 at 1:08 PM

App won’t rotate to landscape…No idea how to utilize “strong, emphasis, link,or strike“…
Refresh doesn’t really refresh…

… as has been said, a mobile version would be superior to this crap appeteaser.

M240H on April 12, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I just loaded it and landscape would be greatly appreciated.

dddave on April 12, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I have been waiting for this day!

raxx on April 12, 2013 at 1:36 PM

[snip]

Here’s the link to the app for iPhone / iOS users:

[snip]

bluegill on April 11, 2013 at 8:46 PM

FINALLY!!!

manwithblackhat on April 12, 2013 at 1:55 PM

So far so good. I know its 1.0 so of there are going to be some issues, but I’m enjoying. Looking forward to future updates and an ipad version.

vcferlita on April 12, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Hi there,

Avid reader of the blog since its inception.

You forgot your readers using BlackBerrys. Would appreciate an app for BB or at least consider the new BB Z10.

I currently use the browser, but it is not optimized for mobile use.

Thanks,
Sam

Fineagle on April 12, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I was about to download it for my iPod Touch, but I guess I won’t be until the bugs are worked out of it. I’ll still access it via my feed reader app, where I can use either landscape or portrait views.

That being said, it’s about time there’s a mobile app for this!

PatriotGal2257 on April 12, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Ha, I got myself a $25 Nokia cellphone. I comment on HotGas exclusively through my cellphone. My cellphone is loaded with viruses (my smartphone friends say so. Whenever I send something interesting via bluetooth, their systems collapse due to the viruses), but it doesn’t effect my cellphone at all. Lol. A cheap Nokia handset, and I love it.

tommy71 on April 12, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I’ll use it to browse headline titles, but it doesn’t seem very usable otherwise.
Same as above. Needs landscape, paged comments, landscape, ads moved, landscape

Ronnie on April 13, 2013 at 12:02 AM

In short, see if Michelle Malkin will let you borrow her programmer.

Ronnie on April 13, 2013 at 12:31 AM

And no photos. Not everyone is on an unlimited data plan.

Ronnie on April 13, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Deleted it this morning. Full screen add popped up once to many times. I don’t do ads. Rather pay the .99 to get rid of them. Your website does not have that problem.

CW20 on April 14, 2013 at 11:22 AM