Green Room

Audio: “Accidental Racist”

posted at 11:24 am on April 9, 2013 by

What’s that you say? The world needs a southern take on “Ebony and Ivory” that fuses country music with rap? Well, sometimes the world gets lucky, my friends.

And sometimes not.

Here are the lyrics. I made it through two lines, to the part where Paisley mentions Skynyrd, before I started giggling.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Ugh.

Paisley is one of the few country performers I like (he’s an extremely good guitarist), but that song is beyond awful.

He has been sneaking more and more politics onto his albums lately. I think he should stick to songs about ticks, women, and fishing. I can overlook his playing at the Obama inaugural, but I can’t overlook bad music and hackneyed lyrics.

DRayRaven on April 9, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Brad Paisley used to be my favourite country artist, and then he came out with that song about how great it is that America has a black president (Welcome to the Future) and his stock just plummeted with me.

Then he came out with Southern Comfort Zone which I can’t imagine endeared him to his fans, but this latest stinker is really jumping the shark.

He’s spending too much time in Hollywood. Doesn’t he know he’s alienating his base?

CityFish on April 9, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Shocker. Paisley hasn’t had a good song in years.

topdawg on April 9, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Never cared for him.

Now – he can go hang out with the Dixie Chicks and pat himself on the back.

CycloneCDB on April 9, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Oh. My. God.

Speechlesstx on April 9, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Musicians, what problems they can’t solve? /s

Oil Can on April 9, 2013 at 12:57 PM

The whole premise of the sng is flawed from the get-go.

How can racism be accidental?

The guy is apologizing for his shirt? Seems like the me apologizing for his accidental racism isn’t the one with the problem.

SMFH…

catmman on April 9, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Not even going to click on it. Now, I won’t even wear paisley…

Fallon on April 9, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I paid extra for two(2) “evens”. Deal with it, lol. 😛

Fallon on April 9, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Paisley went from musician to just another celebrity pushing his agenda. He loves Obama to the point of tears, tells everyone in the South to “travel more” in Southern Comfort Zone. Basically he makes a living off country music which he now spends his time apologizing for and trying to “fix”.

Used to be a huge fan but I can’t even bring myself to listen to this disaster of a duo try to ease racial tensions by writing bad music. Obama is the biggest race-baiter yet Paisley forgives him, I’m sure..

Nate A. on April 9, 2013 at 1:34 PM

This is depressing. I’ve always loved Paisley.
Have most of his work.
Guess this means I’ll never buy anymore.
Dixie Chicks yourself dude.
You are DONE.

Badger40 on April 9, 2013 at 1:36 PM

And the most racist southerners I’ve ever met?
They’re all black.
As a former Texan, I can promise you this is true.

Badger40 on April 9, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Nate A. on April 9, 2013 at 1:34 PM

If I’m not mistaken, Paisley and his wife are both Republicans.

steebo77 on April 9, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Paisley married an Actress.

She’s converted him.

portlandon on April 9, 2013 at 2:29 PM

If I’m not mistaken, Paisley and his wife are both Republicans.

steebo77 on April 9, 2013 at 1:58 PM

See now I heard he was part of that whole Music Row Democrat Bs… You know formed in 2003, because certain country music stars didn’t like the Republicanism of country music like Faith Hill, Tim McGraw etc.

melle1228 on April 9, 2013 at 2:39 PM

If I’m not mistaken, Paisley and his wife are both Republicans.

steebo77 on April 9, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Btw, cursory glance at campaign contributions show wife gives to Obama…

melle1228 on April 9, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Country music has sucked since Shania Twain ruined it in the late ’90’s, so this song actually met my expectations.

stout77 on April 9, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Awful. A career killer.

Pork-Chop on April 9, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Country music has sucked since Shania Twain ruined it in the late ’90′s, so this song actually met my expectations.

stout77 on April 9, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Yep.

topdawg on April 9, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Paisley isn’t nearly as huge as he was a couple years ago. Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, and Eric Church are all more popular at the moment. That’s subject to change, of course.

I wonder if Brad ever wonders why his fans are turning to other, less preachy, country artists?

But country fans are pretty forgiving, and we’re open to a wide variety of styles, opinions, and viewpoints.

hawksruleva on April 9, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Well, the song’s already been pulled for copyright reasons, and apparently no one else has posted it on YouTube. I guess SME’s thinking everyone’s going to be so intrigued by the zillion articles hollering about this “controversial” song that we’ll all run out and buy it on iTunes.

Not. Gonna. Happen.

I’d rather live in ignorance than care about this one more second, if it means having to play this “ooh, I wanna hear it, too!” game. SOME day it will be available – free. I’ll listen to it then.

momodoom on April 9, 2013 at 4:15 PM

“Those Crazy Christians” is an amazing song. Too bad that one’s not getting more publicity.

nicktjacob on April 9, 2013 at 4:42 PM

stout77 on April 9, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Yep, outside of the few George Strait of Alan Jackson songs I can’t even bare to listen to country radio anymore. Sucks because Paisley was one of my favorite singers a few years ago and he’s a great guitarist but his music has gone downhill recently. Mud On the Tires was a great album.

midgeorgian on April 9, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Ah, bipartisan agreement at last. Everyone hates this song. Literally, LL Cool J gives big ups to Robert E. Lee, but not Lincoln. Stunning.

libfreeordie on April 9, 2013 at 7:14 PM

When I heard that Brad Paisley and L.L. Cool Jay were doing a song called “Accidental Racist” I just naturally assumed it was going to be funny. The first mistake was having a song with such a title and such a pedigree be serious.

radjah shelduck on April 9, 2013 at 7:18 PM

The song may suck to some and not others (I’m not partial to it myself) but it’s not the song and exactly what is said in it that matters. To me, it’s the intent. We can continue to build up and on past animosities, or we can rise above it and build new partnerships and get on with being Americans, together. United we stand, divided we fall.

SauerKraut537 on April 9, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Literally, LL Cool J gives big ups to Robert E. Lee

You do realize that Robert E. Lee was an abolitionist and the first thing he did when his dad died was to free every slave his dad had owned.

topdawg on April 9, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Deliberate Mob Attacks.

Buck Turgidson on April 9, 2013 at 9:27 PM

topdawg on April 9, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Don’t confuse libchainedanddie with facts. She knows as much about race as most libs.

Republicans and Southerners are racist. Lincoln was great. Is there anything else to know?

CycloneCDB on April 9, 2013 at 10:21 PM

It wasn’t Shania so much as it was her then-husband, IMHO.

eaglescout_1998 on April 10, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Well, it he’s an “accidental racist” and the libs let that stand–they he shore ain’t no conservative!

Axeman on April 10, 2013 at 12:31 PM

If I’m not mistaken, Paisley and his wife are both Republicans.

steebo77 on April 9, 2013 at 1:58 PM

That word doesn’t mean what it used to mean.

squint on April 10, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Top Pick

Taking it to the limit

Sunday morning talking heads

Jazz Shaw Jun 25, 2017 8:01 AM
Top Pick

Health care and tweeting and Russia, oh my!

Will they stay or will they go?

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city