Green Room

Annette Funicello, RIP

posted at 1:38 pm on April 8, 2013 by

A sad day indeed for her fans, but Annette Funicello’s family gives us all a lift with their faith:

Actress Annette Funicello, best known as a child performer on the original “Mickey Mouse Club” and for her beach movies with Frankie Avalon, died on Monday. She was 70.

Her family confirmed to “Extra” that Funicello died from complications of multiple sclerosis. They were by her side at a Bakersfield hospital when she was taken off life support. Funicello had been in an MS coma for years.

Funicello’s only daughter, Gina Gilardi, said in a statement, “She’s on her toes dancing in heaven… no more MS. My brothers and I were there, holding her sweet hands when she left us.”

May it be so, especially for one who gave so much of herself to provide such gentle and uplifting entertainment.  Godspeed and thank you, Annette.

Her family and friends will be in our prayers.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Rest in peace!

Vanceone on April 8, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Tough day for classy ladies in the world.

RIP, Annette.

Bitter Clinger on April 8, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Another childhood icon gone. Rest in Peace, Annette.

Know It All on April 8, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I hate this kind of verbiage. It’s part of what’s poisoning our society and its views on life. She did not die due to “complications of multiple sclerosis.” She died because she was taken off life support. In fact, the proper terminology is that she was killed.

Shump on April 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Wouldn’t it be great if nice was the way we all strive to be?

Cindy Munford on April 8, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Shump on April 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Couldn’t we all live forever on machines?

Cindy Munford on April 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM

In fact, the proper terminology is that she was killed not artificially kept alive.

Shump on April 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM

HotAirian on April 8, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Couldn’t we all live forever on machines?

Cindy Munford on April 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM

No. Even on life support, organs still eventually fail due to both natural deterioration and the stress of the life support. Further, those on life support are still susceptible to the same sorts of diseases as any one else, ranging from bacterial infections to cancer. Life support is not some artificial immortality. The body will still eventually die naturally, just as we all do.

The point is that we never know what’s going to happen. Although it is not exactly common, there are plenty of documented cases where someone has been on life support for an extended period of time only to awaken. People have been though to be brain dead and it later be proved otherwise.

Bottom line: If you make the conscious decision to remove someone from life support, you are making the conscious, affirmative choice to kill them.

Shump on April 8, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I have this vision of Roger Ebert getting ticked off because Funicello and Thatcher are being allowed past the red velvet rope by St Peter and he still has to wait….

apostic on April 8, 2013 at 1:58 PM

We’ll always have Paris Knucklehead.

Shy Guy on April 8, 2013 at 1:59 PM

So now Barky needs to find a photo of himself wearing Mouse Ears and one of himself on a double-decker bus? Paying tribute to these beloved icons is hard work at times.

Gingotts on April 8, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I had the biggest crush on Annette when she was on the Mickey Mouse Club Show. My Mom used to tease me about it constantly.

When I got older and she got even more beautiful I cursed the fact that I was younger than her and therefore had no chance. I still have a crush on her.

Vince on April 8, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Shump on April 8, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Um, no.

Pretty much all religions’ medical ethicists, physicians and other healthcare providers, philosophers, etc. acknowledge that there is a fundamental difference between taking an active role to end a life (e.g., bullets, poison, lethal medication doses etc.) and removing such artifical support as a ventilator pushing oxygen into one’s lungs, etc.

One has the choice whether or not to receive life support interventions in the first place, and a similar right to choose to have artificial support removed.

cs89 on April 8, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Oh, and RIP Anette Funnicello.

cs89 on April 8, 2013 at 2:06 PM

What a sad day. RIP dear lady

CoffeeLover on April 8, 2013 at 2:09 PM

A Sweet, Classy Lady. I’m sure we will hear from her friend Frankie Avalon later today. Rest in peace, Annette.

kingsjester on April 8, 2013 at 2:10 PM

In fact, the proper terminology is that she was killed.
Shump on April 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM

That is one of the most inane and fanatical comments I’ve read in years on this site. I can’t even begin to unravel the twisted thought process that must have gone into it.

factsonlypls on April 8, 2013 at 2:12 PM

So now Barky needs to find a photo of himself wearing Mouse Ears…..

Gingotts on April 8, 2013 at 2:00 PM

As far as I have seen, EVERY photo of Barky shows him wearing Mickey Mouse ears.

Oh, wait, you mean those are his real ears?

UltimateBob on April 8, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Um, no.

cs89 on April 8, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I think you’re painting with a very broad brush there. The Catholic Church, for example, specifically says that basic nutrition and hydration can virtually never be morally withdrawn, even if the patient is in a vegetative state and being fed through a feeding tube. A ventilator is more tricky, morally, because depending on the circumstances it might or might not be considered “extraordinary measures.”

In this case, we do not know what type of “life support” Ms. Funicello was receiving, as that term can encompass many different things.

Regardless, though, I still think the language is misleading. To simply say that she died from complications due to MS is not fully true. A half truth, perhaps. She needed life support due to those complications. But had she continued to receive the life support, she would not have died today. The decision to remove life support was the thing that caused her today specifically today.

Shump on April 8, 2013 at 2:19 PM

factsonlypls on April 8, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Okay, let me unravel it for you.

1. A particular device is sustaining your life.
2. I remove the device.
3. Ergo, I killed you.

Shump on April 8, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Shump on April 8, 2013 at 1:58 PM

According to your logic, if I find someone in cardiac arrest and not breathing and administer CPR, at the moment I stop administering CPR I’m guilty of killing that person. No, the bottom line is you are a profoundly stupid human being.

factsonlypls on April 8, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Shump on April 8, 2013 at 1:58 PM

What BS.

changer1701 on April 8, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Okay, let me unravel it for you.

1. A particular device is sustaining your life.
2. I remove the device.
3. Ergo, I killed you.

Shump on April 8, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Having worked in medicine for now about 30 years I can promise you the vast majority of Living Wills and Powers of Attorney say
“Kill me, Kill me now!” rather than be hooked up to a respirator with a cranium full of wet sand.

Marcus on April 8, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Marcus on April 8, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I have no doubt this is true. And I am not arguing the right of someone to make their own decisions about whether or not life support is used. I am simply questioning the definition of what it was that killed the person.

Shump on April 8, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Why is this thread about this wonderful lady being hijacked?

kingsjester on April 8, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I am simply questioning the definition of what it was that killed the person.

Shump on April 8, 2013 at 2:28 PM

MS killed the person.

When you engage in mental gymnastics I would suggest you attempt to employ a logic that exceeds that of a single celled protozoa. Not to mention compassion for the dying, in place of your Shiavo redux fanaticism.

factsonlypls on April 8, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Before my time, but she reminded me of what
women with Class behaved like….

RIP

ToddPA on April 8, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I had one of those little felt hats with the mouse ears. Buh-bye, sweetiepie. :(

Seth Halpern on April 8, 2013 at 3:00 PM

And nothing about it on Drudge… Hmmmm…

Skywise on April 8, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Shump on April 8, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Per reports, she’d been in a “coma” for some time due to MS. Life support most frequently refers to a ventilator.

However, I have no need for the explicit details from her grieving family.

And they have no need for your assertion that removing life support = killing.

Good day, sir/madam.

(that is all)

cs89 on April 8, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I knew she had MS; I didn’t know she was in a coma.

I watched the original Mickey Mouse Club as a kid, and Annette was one of my favorite Mouseketeers. I never got into the beach movies, but they were a lot of fun for a lot of people.

Thank you, Annette.

catsandbooks on April 8, 2013 at 3:13 PM

MS killed the person.

factsonlypls on April 8, 2013 at 2:37 PM

So if the people involved had taken no action, she would have died today of MS complications?

Shump on April 8, 2013 at 3:28 PM

However, I have no need for the explicit details from her grieving family.

And they have no need for your assertion that removing life support = killing.

Good day, sir/madam.

(that is all)

cs89 on April 8, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I haven’t made any assertions to the family what-so-ever. I made assertions in a comment thread on a conservative political blog which I have absolutely no doubt the family is not reading at this moment.

Shump on April 8, 2013 at 3:30 PM

I remember when she tried her comeback with “Back to the Beach”. My family thought it was a great movie and a nice continuation of her and Frankie’s beach movies. From what I remember from an old interview with her, it was while doing that movie she discovered she had multiple sclerosis. If I recall correctly they had planned a few more movies but they were canceled due to her illness.

Dr. Frank Enstine on April 8, 2013 at 3:39 PM

RIP Annette Funicello, heart throb of millions of boys my age at one time… she was also an example for millions of girls, as well. Everybody loved her. Everybody.

ExpressoBold on April 8, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Shump on April 8, 2013 at 3:28 PM

This whole argument is ridiculous, and I don’t understand a desire to make this about life support, but she was on it to begin with due to complications from MS. She lost the ability to walk years ago, to talk in ’09, and had only been kept alive the last few years by artificial means. Removing life support doesn’t change the fact that it was the MS that put her in that position in the first place.

changer1701 on April 8, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I remember,as a kid,watching the Mickey-Mouse Club,
she will be missed!!

canopfor on April 8, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Shump on April 8, 2013 at 3:28 PM

No, she would have died years ago. Wow.

factsonlypls on April 8, 2013 at 4:09 PM

What is wrong with you people?

(you know who you are – and your mothers would be ashamed of you)

Godspeed, Annette. You left the world a better place for having been here.

turfmann on April 8, 2013 at 4:10 PM

RIP Annette!
May God welcome you into His arms and comfort your family.
L

letget on April 8, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Rest in peace Annette. Thank you for giving so much of yourself to us.

BobK on April 8, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Goodbye Annette. You were many a boy’s thoughts of what a girlfriend should be. Funny, pretty, intelligent. You grew up under a microscope with charm and grace.

We all loved you Annette, and always will.

itsspideyman on April 8, 2013 at 4:29 PM

All I can think of is

M I C – see you real soon

K E Y – why, because we love you

M O U S E

Thank you for the memories Annette, may you rest eternally in the presence of the Lord.

fourdeucer on April 8, 2013 at 4:35 PM

fourdeucer on April 8, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Beautifully said and I cannot improve upon it.

Rest in peace, beautiful one.

eon

eon on April 8, 2013 at 5:07 PM

All I can think of is

M I C – see you real soon

K E Y – why, because we love you

M O U S E

fourdeucer on April 8, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Good memories.
I still remember watching reruns of the original show back in the late 70′s and early eighties. Later in life we had a cadence in the Marine Corps to the same tune but the words were quite different and I’d get banned if I typed them out here. ;)

RIP Annette.

CTSherman on April 8, 2013 at 5:20 PM

It’s rare to find a genuinely nice person in that business…but Annette was one.

fourdeucer on April 8, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Perfectly said.

Rest In Peace, Annette. We’ll miss you.

Solaratov on April 8, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Shump on April 8, 2013 at 1:58 PM

On January 7,2013 my mother was taken off of life support. It was less than a day after a massive heart attack left her brain-dead. We didn’t ‘kill’ her…because she was dead already.
I miss my mother terribly. Eff you.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 8, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Btw: My late dad was a few months older than Ms. F. He used to say that she was the reason he ended up preferring brunettes…like my mother.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 8, 2013 at 5:34 PM

I used to watch the Micky Mouse Club every day when I was about 3 years old. It would actually kind of freak my Mom out, because I would find her wherever she was in the house and say “Micky Mouse, Mommy”. She’d look at the clock and it would be the exact time for the program. She knew I couldn’t tell time.

So long, Annette.