Green Room

So, this “Republican nominee Mark Sanford” thing is probably happening, huh?

posted at 5:29 pm on April 1, 2013 by

My understanding is that Sanford’s last (primary) opponent standing isn’t exactly a shoo-in either, but still.  Are we really about to do this?  Politico shakes the Magic Eight ball, and all signs point to yes.  You know all about his fall from grace, his subsequent apology tour, and his mind-bending conception of propriety.  You even know about his precarious poll position against the celebri-fied Democrat on the ballot.  But check out this passage from Politico’s story, which describes how indignant and stunned Sanford staffers werewhen a rival Republican took a fairly subtle jab at the former governor’s not-so-distant adventure along the “Appalachian Trail:”

Forced on the defensive, Sanford tried to argue that Bostic hasn’t come clean about some of his own weaknesses, such as missed votes on the county council. But Bostic hit back, saying he took time off to care for his wife during her bout with cancer. And he managed to throw in a veiled barb at Sanford going AWOL from the governor’s office — he infamously claimed to be hiking the Appalachian Trail — to visit his mistress. “My absence is because I was home taking care of her largely — doing what I should have been,” Bostic said. “People knew where I was. I did my job just the same.” Outside the debate hall, some Sanford advisers seemed shaken, pointing out that Bostic had said he wouldn’t raise the former governor’s personal troubles during the campaign.

To recap: (1) Bostic misses some city council votes to care for his ailing wife.  (2) Sanford — who dropped off  the radar for nearly a week as governor to carry on an affair with a South American journalist — attacks Bostic for, um, shirking his duties.  (3) Bostic offers the always-compelling “wife with cancer” excuse, and twists the knife a little by noting that at least people knew where he was.  (4) “Shaken” Sanford aides reach for the smelling salts because Bostic dared to exhibit the dishonor of mildly referencing an episode over which Democrats will clobber Sanford every single day through May 7th if he becomes the nominee.  Terrific.  As I stipulated in my Townhall post on this story, I believe strongly in grace.  As a Christian, I’m acutely aware that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.  But forgiveness doesn’t require restoring a disgraced politician to power — particularly when said politician betrayed virtually every one of his principles, then lied about it.  Maybe the crimson demographics of the district will carry the day regardless of who’s nominated.  Maybe not.  But this race is shaping up to be Stephen Colbert’s sister against this guy:

I can’t imagine what could possibly go wrong.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

If he wins it will because there were enough people willing to overlook his serious personal flaws because the man is flat out a fiscal and social conservative.I would rather have Mark Sanford in Congress than John Boehner and his gang of pseudo conservative traitors.

redware on April 1, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Tell me more about this “sanctity of marriage” I’m hearing so much about, GOP primary voters.

It's Vintage, Duh on April 1, 2013 at 5:48 PM

At least we know Sanford can court the Hispanic vote.

dforston on April 1, 2013 at 5:57 PM

So, this “Republican nominee Mark Sanford” thing is probably happening, huh?

Yes, let’s reinforce the family values message by electing an adulterer.

rukiddingme on April 1, 2013 at 5:57 PM

dforston, FTW

Guy Benson on April 1, 2013 at 6:01 PM

He’s probably a walking endorsement of gay marriage. Electing him shows that conservatives aren’t serious about marriage.

amazingmets on April 1, 2013 at 6:12 PM

redware on April 1, 2013 at 5:47 PM

/chortlepie

Jeddite on April 1, 2013 at 6:18 PM

“Hello, I’m Mark Sanford. My personal flaws include infidelity to my wife, then lying about my infidelity to my constituents, while stiffing them with the check. But, y’know, that aside… I’m a serious fiscal and social conservative.”

Jeddite on April 1, 2013 at 6:20 PM

It’s Vintage, Duh on April 1, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Gay marriage made him do it (or some similarly retarded logic).

lester on April 1, 2013 at 6:30 PM

If nothing else, Sanford is a fiscal conservative who drove the good ol’ boys in Columbia bat-s**t crazy. He wouldn’t be my first choice, but he’s better than any democrat/liberal.

SouthernGent on April 1, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Oh, I should add that the coastal conservatives in SC are *NOT* like the Upstate conservatives who tilt heavily to the SOCIAL conservative plank of the base, whereas the coastal ones are the fiscal conservatives.

SouthernGent on April 1, 2013 at 6:41 PM

SouthernGent on April 1, 2013 at 6:37 PM

So if he wins the nomination can he win the state? This seems very crazy to me.

Cindy Munford on April 1, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Since we’re apparently in such a forgiving mood… can we run Sanford against Graham for the Senate after the special election? Getting desperate here.

dforston on April 1, 2013 at 7:54 PM

amazingmets, exactly right. Seriously.

A lot of conservatives right now are really having a lot of serious thoughts about opposing SSM. I know I am. What’s the message to someone like me when South Carolinians elect this guy? Mr. Appalachian Trail’s election will make a laughing stock on Republicans who oppose SSM on the grounds that they want to preserve the sanctity of marriage.

Between this and GOProud not being welcomed at CPAC, I’m really ready to just throw in the towel on any and all opposition to SSM, both as a matter of politics and of principle. Better to just concentrate on the sanctity of life. After all, that’s really where my heart has always been anyway with respect to social issues, and I think a lot of people feel as I do.

dforston- that was hilarious!

MinnesotaSlinger on April 1, 2013 at 8:21 PM

dforston on April 1, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Pretty sure that if people will forgive Sanford, they will forgive Graham.

thebrokenrattle on April 1, 2013 at 8:27 PM

redware on April 1, 2013 at 5:47 PM

You made a false comparison, redware.

Mark Sanford is not running against John Boehner.

Mark Sanford is running against fellow Republican Curtis Bostic in the South Carolina CD 1 run-off election tomorrow (4/2).

Curtis Bostic is also a fiscal conservative and judging by his website also a social conservative.

Learn more about Curtis Bostic at his campaign website here:

The winner of the run-off election tomorrow will run against Democrat Elizabeth Colbert Busch on May 7th.

There is no reason for Republicans to elect a “compromised candidate” like Mark Sanford when there is a conservative candidate like Curtis Bostic on the ballot.

Curtis Bostic may have tred softly on Mark Sanford’s betrayal of his wife, sons and people of South Carolina while he snuck off to Argentina to play with his “soul mate.” But you can be sure that Democrats like Elizabeth Colbert Busch, Nancy Pelosi and Debbie Wasserman Shultz will be shouting about Mark Sanford’s adventures in Argentina from the roof tops every single day.

Other more trustworthy Republicans who will be working hard to run for Congress in 2014, do not deserve to have their campaigns tarnished by the escapades of Mark Sanford.

If you know anybody in South Carolina’s first Congressional District, please encourage them to vote for Curtis Bostic tomorrow.

wren on April 1, 2013 at 9:06 PM

While I’m not supportive of Sanford’s return to the political stage, I have to kind of “golf clap” the whole spectacle. Here’s a Republican, marching to center stage with ALL of his skeletons alongside him (think the Dancing Ito’s), up and out of the closet for the whole world to see.

If he were a Democrat, they’d be nominating him for sainthood. Doesn’t make me like him any better, but you know I’m right.

waterytart on April 1, 2013 at 9:33 PM

watertart, that’s the problem with being a Republican: you actually get embarrassed by the people who should embarrass you.

MinnesotaSlinger on April 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Exactly. The Democrats know that they can’t win in SC-1. They can, however, fundraise nationally and damage the Republican brand further during the slow period by stoking a general election battle between Colbert’s sister and the Appalachian Andes Mountain Man.

blammm on April 1, 2013 at 10:43 PM

This.

It’s Vintage, Duh on April 1, 2013 at 5:48 PM

BocaJuniors on April 2, 2013 at 3:31 AM

I still cannot shake the feeling that Mark Sanford is only doing this to get his soul mate to return his calls. Without the trappings of power, she probably realized he is a drip, a faithless drip. (Or maybe they are still together. But that is still no guarantee he will not abandon her and his office, again, to chase after some other soul mate.)

What a farce.

Threshing Flora on April 2, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Your understanding is mistaken.

Either candidate will trounce Busch easily. The over/under for the GOP nominee is 58%.

The idea that Bostic is some sort of Tea Party conservative is a joke. He never voted against spending money while on Charleston County Council. His boast about “balanced budgets” is a joke: state law requires counties to balance, it wasn’t as if they had a choice. But they never ran a surplus or refunded tax receipts, either.

You don’t have to like Sanford, but you must be realistic about Bostic. He’s an establishment tool of the SC GOP old guard. Don’t complain when he votes that way if he gets to Washington.

Adjoran on April 2, 2013 at 12:57 PM

wren on April 1, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Spot on analysis but I think if Sanford wins the runoff, Busch ends up in Congress.

RedInMD on April 2, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Count on Republican primary voters to shoot themselves in the foot every time. That’s why the Republican Party is known as the “stupid” party.

paulus1 on April 2, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Republicans like Mark Sanford and Democrats like Bill Clinton make DOMA a farce.

paulus1 on April 2, 2013 at 1:54 PM

1 – Hold nose
2 – Pull lever
3 – sigh…

Where have all the honorable office-seekers gone? I guess all the honest and humble ones know the Washington jungle would eat them alive.

Marcola on April 2, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Marcola on April 2, 2013 at 1:57 PM

If we want more honorable office-seekers, then we need to support them when they step up to the plate and agree to run for office.

Running for Congress is an expensive project that takes massive amounts of time away from family and career. Candidates also lose all of their privacy.

Curtis Bostic appears to be an honorable office-seeker who is taking the risk of running for Congress. What are you doing to support his campaign?

Or are we all going to just shrug and say “Yeah we know Sanford is a scoundrel who betrayed his wife, sons and people of South Carolina,but he is famous (or infamous) so he should be elected to Congress?”

wren on April 2, 2013 at 2:54 PM

With candidates like Sanford we shouldnt be surprised that the Republican Party has become a punchline.

At least Akin stumbled over his stupidity after he won the his primary. The folks over in SC know exactly what theyre voting for.

Valkyriepundit on April 2, 2013 at 3:32 PM

All Colbert’s sister has to do is go for a walk on the Appalachian Trail, and call into radio stations while she’s doing it. “Hi, I’m on the Appalachian Trail” is all she’ll have to say, and the interviewer will start laughing so hard the interview will be over.

MTF on April 3, 2013 at 1:57 PM