Green Room

George Washington’s rye whiskey going on sale

posted at 5:48 pm on March 26, 2013 by

Cool:

Rye whiskey using George Washington’s own recipe will soon go on sale at the first president’s Mount Vernon estate in Virginia.

The presidential home reconstructed Washington’s distillery and will make more than 1,100 bottles of unaged whiskey available beginning April 4. The bottles sell for $95 each.

Mount Vernon says the rye is the most authentic version of Washington’s whiskey available. Washington was a detailed record keeper, and distillers used the same grain recipe and fermentation process as it was done 250 years ago.

No word on whether it’ll be available online or only in person at Mt. Vernon. George Washington’s homestead is run by a private organization—the Mt. Vernon Ladies’ Association— and receives no federal funding, so I’m glad to hear they probably have a new revenue stream for keeping up this national treasure.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

If anyone needs me I’ll be on a plane to Reagan the next few hours then I’ll be out of pocket for three or four days.

MajorKong on March 26, 2013 at 6:16 PM

The Bootleggers did it first. Love those guys!

Naturally Curly on March 26, 2013 at 6:47 PM

$95 for unaged retro-faux whiskey?? Made by a ladies’ association?

I mean, come on.

Daikokuco on March 26, 2013 at 7:45 PM

I had a tour there last year and they mentioned they were working on it. Pretty cool.

It is not likely to be widely availably for on-line sales, just because of various alcoholic beverage control laws. (You can’t have alcohol shipped to you in a lot of states.)

acasilaco on March 26, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Unaged? Bleh.

MadisonConservative on March 26, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I’m currently enjoying a new unaged Jack Daniels rye whiskey. It’s definitely a different flavor than normal whiskey, but it’s really good. My husband loves it!

hollygolightly on March 26, 2013 at 8:08 PM

So buy a couple of bottles and put them away for 12+years. Aged, and who knows it might just be worth a little more than you paid for it.

Or

Raise you glass to the founding fathers and enjoy. It is why I used to enjoy Sam Adams Boston Lager made with Sam’s recipe.

D-fusit on March 26, 2013 at 8:32 PM

D-fusit on March 26, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Nope, once taken out of the cask, and put in a bottle it stops aging.

SWalker on March 26, 2013 at 9:04 PM

SWalker on March 26, 2013 at 9:04 PM

yup, just went on the Kentucky bourbon trail (and others that are def on a trail just not a legal one) last week, it was a great experience, there is a fine art to whiskey. and for $95 for a bottle of unaged probably not barrel strength, ill pass. take that batch throw it in some white oak and call me in 8 years ill meet you at the rick house

zosophil on March 26, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Should be ready for drinking and puking along about the end of Hillarys second term.

BL@KBIRD on March 26, 2013 at 10:22 PM

So when will Mount Vernon start offering beer and hemp, both of which George Washington dabbled in as well? ;-)

JohnAGJ on March 26, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Unaged? They’re selling white lightning? For $95/bottle? History isn’t worth that.

jarden on March 27, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Hey for those who haven’t been. The distillery tour at Mount Vernon (actually down the road a bit from the MV) is well worth the visit. And because they distill the way they did in colonial times, it is a big deal when the mix up a batch. I dropped in between my visit at Mount Vernon and Gunston Hall and thought I’d be out in about five minutes but it was so interesting I stayed the better part of an hour.

I doubt they will do mail order. VA has state stores for alcohol and the Mount Vernon Distillery had to be officially declared an ABC store to make and sell booze legally.

Happy Nomad on March 27, 2013 at 11:28 AM

A little off topic, but I drank mead recently for the first time.

I always thought it was some kind of malt beer, but it is actually a form of wine, made from honey.

My niece made a batch at home and it was very good.

MichaelGabriel on March 27, 2013 at 12:30 PM

With a grain bill that is considerably more rye than corn, it would be tough to call it moonshine such as we know it, even in this unaged medium.

While the price and my being on the other side of the country would make it tough to put my hands on a bottle, maybe on my next trip home this Spring. As much of a rye fan as I am, I’m certainly intrigued. Hope they let you sample before dropping a Ben Franklin for a bottle of George Washington whiskey.

Sgt Steve on March 27, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Bloomberg’s going to buy it and the Constitution and use the whiskey as lighter fluid.

blammm on March 27, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Jack o’ Diamonds, Jack o’ Diamonds and I know you of old
You’ve robbed my poor pockets of silver and gold
It’s a whiskey, you villain, you’ve been my downfall
You’ve kicked me, you’ve cuffed me, but I love you for all

It’s a whiskey, rye whiskey, rye whiskey I cry
If I don’t get rye whiskey, well, I think I will die

Othniel on March 27, 2013 at 3:07 PM

This can not be sold online, or by phone order. Usually you have to go there and get into a line the day it goes on sale. And the bottle is SMALL, the un-aged stuff is slightly cloudy with little “bits” floating in it. I brought a bottle of the second batch that went on sale for my husband as a Christmas gift a few years ago. 2010 it was.

Now, you would think they would package it nicely for it being $95. and a small bottle, but nope – no box or package at all.

Then for Christmas ’11 I gave my husband a bottle from the first offering of the Geo. Washington aged rye whiskey. That bottle was produced from the rye whiskey in the very first batch that was produced and offered for sale. I think only 300 bottles of the un-aged stuff was offered for sale the first two years. They reserve some to make the aged stuff.

The aged stuff? Still a small bottle, no nice packaging, and it was $185. Also has “bits” floating in it.

It is made in very period authentic equipment, overseen by a master distiller. I took the tour, and found it very interesting.

GrandeMe on March 27, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Unaged?
It’s probably going to taste quite raw.

OxyCon on March 27, 2013 at 3:36 PM

$95 for unaged retro-faux whiskey?? Made by a ladies’ association?

I mean, come on.

Daikokuco on March 26, 2013 at 7:45 PM

When I lived in DC for 2 years I was a member of the Mount Vernon “society”…

- this is only avilable IN PERSON…

- there (was) a limit, believe it was bottle per day

- it sold out VERY QUICKLY…

I gave my brother a bottle and he LOVED IT… nice box, old style NUMBERED bottle and a really cool label/authentication card… the LOW numbers go first… a unique gift…

Khun Joe on March 27, 2013 at 3:54 PM

D-fusit on March 26, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Unlike wine, once whiskey is transferred from the barrel to the bottle, aging stops.

It just gets older. Not better.

(IOW: if you age whiskey for 12 years in the barrel, then put it into a bottle and keep the bottle for 50 years – it’s still just a 50-year old bottle of 12-year old whiskey.)

Solaratov on March 27, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I guess I picked a bad day to stop drinkin’.

NavyMustang on March 27, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I would definitely pay $95 for a bottle… PLEASE sell it online. This is the kind of history lesson I could relate to. :-)

TheLoudTalker on March 27, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I want one.

jake49 on March 27, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Happy Nomad on March 27, 2013 at 11:28 AM

It’s been awhile since I’ve visited Mount Vernon, I may have to check it out again and add the distillery to the trip. As a Virginian myself though I must say that it still rankles me that we have these ABC stores. They should all be privatized.

JohnAGJ on March 27, 2013 at 8:45 PM

I could be misstaken, but didn’t Washington expand into whiskey sales specifically to prevent him from having sell slaves and break up their family units. As the slave families got larger he had to find additional revenue and his whiskey was a big seller.

bob4096 on March 28, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Wow – they put yours in a nice box? I was just handed the bottle, wrapped in tissue paper. But the last one I purchased was in 2011. The label was just OK IMO. Has the numbering, and a little card on a string. I got them for my husband for the novelty of where and how they were distilled.

He has suggested opening them a few times, but I glare at him.

GrandeMe on March 28, 2013 at 11:19 AM