Green Room

“It really is a sin to waste a good meat”

posted at 9:31 am on March 21, 2013 by

Whenever I’m in the car with my parents or siblings, it’s been a longtime little family joke to playfully shout out something like, “Oh, look — dinner!” when passing by some roadkill.

These guys just took that to the next level.

Elk, deer, antelope and moose: If Montana residents can scrape it up, they can eat it.

State lawmakers are poised to say just that after the Senate gave its initial backing Wednesday to a bill that would allow people to salvage roadkill for food. The measure is now a final vote from heading to Gov. Steve Bullock.

It makes no sense to let the carcasses of big-game go to waste on Montana’s roadways, supporters said.

“It really is a sin to waste a good meat,” said state Sen. Larry Jent, D-Bozeman.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I once hit a deer with my car out on a very rural road, but didn’t kill it instantly (although it nearly killed my car). I stopped and it was injured (broken legs) and although I’d just finished hunting I didn’t have my knife or gun with me. Another man stopped and helped me put the deer out of it’s misery with a knife that he had. I was in a small Honda Civic and had no way to transport it anywhere, so he took it. I’m pretty sure he probably cleaned and ate it but who knows. Eventhough we technically killed it in a field next the road with a knife…did it classify as road kill? Would it have been illegal to eat under the previous law referenced here?

pecan pie on March 22, 2013 at 3:01 PM

i had never seen more roadkill in my entire life until a took a trip through pennsylvania in the fall….

mittens on March 22, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Umm, why would one need a law to tell them they can do this? Seriously? Seems to me, if you want to scrape up some road kill, who’s to stop you, and why? Give me a break.

jwally on March 23, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Rednecks rejoice.

keep the change on March 23, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I had never seen more roadkill in my entire life until a took a trip through pennsylvania in the fall….

mittens on March 22, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Sounds like you traveled in close proximity to Philly and/or Pittsburgh.
Also, probably in mid-November, when the deer are all thinking with the wrong head.

listens2glenn on March 23, 2013 at 7:54 PM

jwally on March 23, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I can’t prove this, but I suspect certain individuals out in the country would “rig” the front end of their truck or SUV with some kind of structure designed to stand up to deer impacts.

With such a setup, they would go cruising the back-roads at night, TRYING to hit deer.

BTW, I’ve eaten both road-killed, and railroad-killed deer.

listens2glenn on March 23, 2013 at 8:06 PM

That’s why God invented buzzards.

antipc on March 21, 2013 at 9:41 AM

If folks sell the cooked carcasses, would that make them vulture capitalists?

itsnotaboutme on March 21, 2013 at 9:53 AM

That makes me want to laugh and groan simultaneously.

listens2glenn on March 23, 2013 at 8:08 PM

It’s illegal in Washington. The fact that it’s illegal (or has been, anyway) in Montana has been a recurring plot point in the werewolf series I write. I’ll be sorry (for the sake of my stories) to see the law passed. But, I’ve never understood the point of leaving a mortally wounded deer to die at the side of the road, and you’re not even allowed to put it out of its misery, much less salvage its meat. :/

chotii on March 23, 2013 at 10:38 PM

We had a woman in our cath lab that brought in a can of what claimed to be road kill possum from her home state of Kentucky or Tenessee.

Being from PA, we do have an impressive amount of roadkill. We’re number one or two in the US in terms of roadkill deer. Ohio is also in the top five.

Ok, I’ll bite. Are the werewolves coming up against the law for eating roadkill? That’s more important than being werewolves or biting humans and turning them into werewolves?

talkingpoints on March 25, 2013 at 7:58 AM

I’m amazed they need a law like this in Montana.

Back in New York State, though, if you are caught with a deer in your vehicle with no tags, the game warden will take your truck, on the spot. You only get one or two tags a year. So if you have already used them up, you have to leave that deer on the side of the road.

Haiku Guy on March 25, 2013 at 7:58 AM

pecan pie on March 22, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Far as I know it’s illegal to put an animal like this out of its misery.
Even here in ND. We have a Nazi game warden & she insists you call her whenever you come across this situation so she came come & kill it herself.
Seriously, it is the stupidest thing I’ve ever known.
This game warden also ranted & raved how deer can’t eat hay either bcs it will kill them, when ranchers put out a bale for the deer so they don’t get into their hay fences.
These are the kinds of people working in these state agencies.

Badger40 on March 25, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Comment pages: 1 2

Top Pick

“it has not taken serious steps to end its own complicity in trafficking, including forced laborers from North Korea.”

Currently doing a search for “good international trade lawyers”

Ransomware attack spreads through Europe

John Sexton Jun 27, 2017 1:01 PM

“A massive ransomware campaign is currently unfolding worldwide.”

At least their address rarely changes

It just keeps on happening

“Trump is good for business right now.”

Start spreading the news…

“Now it’s time for the next step.”

A “cryptic” warning to Bashar al-Assad?

Jazz Shaw Jun 27, 2017 8:01 AM

The three strikes rule may be in effect

CNN reporters resign over retracted story

John Sexton Jun 26, 2017 9:21 PM

“The individuals all stated that they accepted responsibility and wanted to resign.”

Federalism’s greatest champion is now …

Ed Morrissey Jun 26, 2017 8:41 PM

“In the end, we’re a democracy.”

“Almost all controversial speech harms people, upsets or offends them…”

Obama: Back home again in Indonesia

Andrew Malcolm Jun 26, 2017 7:21 PM

The call to prayer and eating dog.

Testing the waters.

“primarily because the penalty for not having insurance would be eliminated.”

“If I were a Seattle lawmaker, I would be thinking hard about the $15 an hour phase-in.”

Days of future past

“Not only are taxpayers footing the bill, but people are dying unnecessarily because of this.”

Israel settles who can stand where at the Western Wall

Andrew Malcolm Jun 26, 2017 3:21 PM

Women to the right, men to the left.

Look on the bright side. There’s less snow in the summer

Big win … but for how long?

“Several Russian cities have unveiled monuments to Stalin in recent months.”

Massive disappointment

Emboldened conservative wing?

It’s more about the powers of the Presidency at this point

A second look at paper ballots?

Jazz Shaw Jun 26, 2017 10:41 AM

Low tech solutions to high tech crime

No extra beatings required, thanks

A “”massive, massive f*** up…”

This is totally amazing!

McConnell may not get his wish on health care vote

Taylor Millard Jun 25, 2017 7:31 PM

Senate leadership wants a vote this week, others say, “Negative, Ghost Rider.”

Helping others without the government.

“…the reality is the reality.”

These kiosks don’t make $15 per hour or need benefits

Going for the record

“We will answer them on the field”