Photo: When in Rome ….
posted at 5:44 pm on March 19, 2013 by Ed Morrissey
… do as the Romans do! After missing each other a couple of times during the conclave, I finally got a chance to run into Catholic blogger Father Z, Fr. John Zuhlsdorf. Fr. Z decided to take me in hand and show me around the Borgo Pio just outside the Vatican late this afternoon, teaching me the local customs after giving me an extended tour of the features of St. Peter’s Square.
After momentarily bumping into George Weigel, we started off at a small shop and had Crodinos, a bittersweet citrus apertif that matched perfectly with the potato chips that Fr. Z said are de rigueur with the drink. We then set off in search of a bakery that sold bigne de San Giuseppe, a pastry filled with yellow custard made especially for the Feast Day of St. Joseph, which was today. Here are Father Z and me, enjoying this traditional Italian delight on its traditional day:
I’m sure going to miss Rome when I leave.
Recently in the Green Room:
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained
- RNC ad: Crying infant greets Obama’s new debt-laden budget
- Update: Grayson dismisses ‘erratic’ wife after abuse allegation