Green Room

The obligatory “Satan in ‘The Bible’ miniseries kind of looks like Obama” post

posted at 10:44 am on March 18, 2013 by

Meh. Satan wouldn’t have ordered the hit on Bin Laden. Whether you think he looks like O or not, he certainly does look sinister — which is a problem. Shouldn’t Satan be nondescript, or even attractive? All the better to insinuate himself into people’s affairs and tempt them, right?

We’ll have a bona fide controversy on our hands if the actor who plays Jesus looks like Reagan.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The dead giveaway is in the script, which was modified slightly from the Biblical text:

“Some would say you are not the Son of God. Let me be clear. This position is unsustainable. If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.”

Another clue was that he kept turning his head from side to side while speaking.

The Rogue Tomato on March 18, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Satan wouldn’t need a teleprompter. Obama is more like Loki, the good of fools.

Oil Can on March 18, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I don’t believe in Atheism, therefore, it doesn’t exist.

long_cat on March 18, 2013 at 11:44 AM

You named it, therefore it exists.

SauerKraut537 on March 18, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Really? That’s the most faulty and imbecilic logic I’ve ever born witness to. If I just named an Orc riding a unicorn hunting a fairy, does that now exist?

long_cat on March 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM

The Rogue Tomato on March 18, 2013 at 1:37 PM

lolz

inviolet on March 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Heh. Mark Burnett, awesome. This will get under O’s skin.

sauldalinsky on March 18, 2013 at 1:51 PM

My liberal friend in NYC texted me about Satan looking like 0 and thought it was funny?

Maybe I am getting thru on some level!

He has never had a sense of humour.

Scrumpy on March 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM

O/T Suggestion, we need a thread for us WD fans a permanant one.

Hows about it Ed, Allah?

Scrumpy on March 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Satan wouldn’t have ordered the hit on Bin Laden.

Why not? Do you really think Satan cares about those that follow him? Perhaps next he can warn them about the consequences of sin and urge them to turn from that path. /sarc

Unlike God, Satan is intent on destroying those who follow him. He just prefers to use them first to spread the destruction around.

dominigan on March 18, 2013 at 2:01 PM

John the Libertarian on March 18, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Yeah it was!

Scrumpy on March 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Did the movie director pick “Satan” because he looked like Obama?
Or did the Democrats in 2008 pick Obama because he resembled Satan?

joe_doufu on March 18, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a thread-winner!!!

dominigan on March 18, 2013 at 2:05 PM

There’s a resemblance when photos are placed side by side, but, it’s not close enough to merit a kerfluffle.

Why do white liberals always think brown people look alike?

JadeNYU on March 18, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I don’t believe in Atheism, therefore, it doesn’t exist.

long_cat on March 18, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Great post!

avagreen on March 18, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Why do white liberals always think brown people look alike?
JadeNYU on March 18, 2013 at 2:05 PM

It’s not the liberals that pointed it out. Glenn Beck tweeted about how funny it was. I watched it and as soon as he appeared thought it looked just like him.

Rusty Allen on March 18, 2013 at 2:08 PM

FYI, for those who haven’t seen the entire series and would like to do so, it appeared that they had one and two on the channel before three was on yesterday.
L

letget on March 18, 2013 at 2:14 PM

long_cat on March 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I was just exhibiting theistic logic long_cat… If I just came up with the hypothesis of god, does he now exist?

SauerKraut537 on March 18, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Jesus, at some point you’ve healed enough people.

22044 on March 18, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Jesus, at some point you’ve healed enough people.

22044 on March 18, 2013 at 2:31 PM

The heavens and the earth? You didn’t build that!

CurtZHP on March 18, 2013 at 2:39 PM

I thought Herod looked a little like Bob Beckel.

bbhack on March 18, 2013 at 2:41 PM

The heavens and the earth? You didn’t build that!

CurtZHP on March 18, 2013 at 2:39 PM

That’s better! Wish I thought of that!

22044 on March 18, 2013 at 2:45 PM

The question is not whether the devil looks like Obama. The question is whether Obama looks like the devil.

petefrt on March 18, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I knew Obama was the devil. Even the History Channel has confirmed it.

We’ve been watching the series but I really do not like it much.

The acting is poor. Very low budget on the sets. And then the simple fact that they often rewrite the text.
The problem is if you didn’t know anything about the Bible… and you watched this.. it would give you a complete misconception of almost everything.
They say nothing of sin. Or God’s plan plan of redemption. They insert words that are almost blasphemous. The ending narrative on David states something like “… and Solomon will build the temple but will also, like David, find it impossible to keep God’s commandments.” That sort of suggests it’s God’s fault. His commandments are “impossible.”

It’s really not a very good series at all but I think people like it because any Bible series is rare. Sorta of the “beggers can’t be choosie” thing. And they did confirm Obama is Satan. I give them that.

JellyToast on March 18, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Sunday night. What to watch. The Walking Dead or The Bible?

I think I’ll watch the show about a challenged humanity facing moral and ethical questions based on a multi-part fantastical fictional story where people come alive after death. Some characters are good. Some are evil. There is lots of violence, some sex, and a cast of thousands. But in the end, like all great literature, it’s a morality play.

keep the change on March 18, 2013 at 3:23 PM

That’s better! Wish I thought of that!

22044 on March 18, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Given the treasure trove of material, this stuff practially writes itself.

CurtZHP on March 18, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Queue the Church Lady!

pilamaye on March 18, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I always thought Satan would be more….you know….attractive.

Maddie on March 18, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Satan wouldn’t have ordered the hit on Bin Laden.

Allah

You’re suggesting Professional Courtesy, but I don’t buy it. I think he owes more to O’Stopheles than to bin Laden. Converting millions into skin-color voters? The anti-Biblical SSM flip-flop? Jeremiah Wright? The 20 years of faking Christianity?

BL got nothin’ on him.

Jaibones on March 18, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Given the treasure trove of material, this stuff practially writes itself.

CurtZHP on March 18, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Salaams.

Jaibones on March 18, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Considering that anti-Christian bigots have swelled the ranks of the modern Dem party (recall the unhinged booing of God at the DNC) I’ll go out on a limb and suggest that the Left doesn’t have a problem with their Cultural Leader (supposedly) depicted as Satan.

visions on March 18, 2013 at 4:57 PM

JellyToast on March 18, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Actually, we had a Sunday school discussion around God’s Commandments… which are impossible for mere humans (with sinful flesh) to obey. But that’s not because He is unreasonable… it’s because we are. Only Jesus fully obeyed all the Commandments, every single human has failed. (Which is a great lead in for discussion of sin, since every one of us has disobeyed God and deserve punishment for it.)

The series is only 5 parts, and so only acts as a summary “Cliff Notes” version. But for many people, this is a good intro to the Bible. If you have a better idea how to condense thousands of years of history into 5 hours in order to keep the interest of non-believers, I’d love to hear it. You also need to keep in mind that this is the History Channel… not the Faith channel. So they will stick to the historical stories and not so much apologetics.

Overall, I’ve appreciated the even-handed treatment and pray that many non-believers will become interested and actually pickup a Bible to read. If it causes even one person to do that, this series has done God’s work.

dominigan on March 18, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Actually, I would not be surprised for many Liberals do consider comparing Obama to Satan to be a compliment.

Recall one of the Liberals esteemed and cherished patron saints, Saul Alinsky. . . .

Who did he dedicate his book to? Satan.

And Jesus taught that Satan was the father of liars — so the typical Liberal Democrat probably has a familial connection to Satan!

Narniaman on March 18, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Well, yes, normally, but even Satan should know not to try to trick God (Jesus is God, see). To Jesus, Satan’s true self would be revealed. If the producers had a bigger budget – like if they had been animating imaginary blue enviro/angel/natives, for instance – they might have made Satan look like he was trying and failing to hide his ugly true self.

Knott Buyinit on March 18, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Is it possible for Satan to be insulted… now I wonder…

Hog Wild on March 18, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Those aren’t ears; those are horns.

Those aren’t horns; those are ears.

But there is a forked tongue on both.

Do not adjust your set.

viking01 on March 18, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Satan is known as the Prince of Lies.

It’s disrespectful (and probably racist) to suggest Obama is a mere prince.

malclave on March 19, 2013 at 12:58 AM

I flip back and forth between the Bible mini-series and Walking Dead, and when I first saw this guy (who was meant to be Satan) I didn’t think of Obama at all.

With the black hood, and the extreme contrast of high-light /shadows on his face under the robe’s hood hitting his face from bottom up, he reminded me more of the Emperor guy from Return of the Jedi.

TigerPaw on March 19, 2013 at 4:26 AM

SauerKraut537 on March 18, 2013 at 2:18 PM

He must since you assigned a gender. One thing your kind doesn’t understand is Faith. Since God and Faith are not something your kind can control or legislate, you mock it. My original post obviously went way over your head, so you’d be better off sticking to Palin bashing or whatever it is you do here.

long_cat on March 19, 2013 at 8:39 AM

What do you care, Allah?

You don’t buy any of it anyway.

budfox on March 18, 2013 at 10:50 AM

LOL. The first comment too.

Good one and spot on.

Sir Napsalot on March 19, 2013 at 10:06 AM

I’m going to be doing a post on Maggie’s tomorrow on this.

It ends like so:

The left, of course, is up in arms because of the resemblance. It seems to me that they’re asking the wrong question, though. They’re asking why Satan looks like President Obama.

My question is, why does President Obama look like Satan?

Dr. Mercury on March 19, 2013 at 12:33 PM

And Kind Herod looks like Gov. Christie…the point is?

right2bright on March 19, 2013 at 12:59 PM

long_cat on March 19, 2013 at 8:39 AM

I don’t mock faith, I mock those who rely on, and live by it.

I contend that the ONLY thing that exists in this Universe which either requires OR desires your faith are con-men, frauds, and charlatans trying to deceive you with otherwise unconvincing lies.

Deceivers need believers, and that’s why religion needs faith.

That’s why it promises unimaginable rewards only for those who are easily fooled, and that’s why it threatens a fate worse than death to those with the temerity to try to understand it, who ask too many questions, or who dare to peek at that man behind the forbidden curtain.

SauerKraut537 on March 19, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Obama is not Satan. He just works for him.

kemojr on March 19, 2013 at 4:32 PM

It’s not that they made Satan look like Obama, it’s more like Obama is just evil looking.

Socratease on March 19, 2013 at 5:23 PM