Green Room

Video: Scott Walker electrifies CPAC, won’t rule out 2016 bid

posted at 11:06 am on March 16, 2013 by

Scott Walker.  I’m a fan.  Here’s why:

“In America, we take a day off to celebrate the fourth of July, not the 15th of April.”

The Wisconsin governor built a robust case for his conservative reforms in a sunny and persuasive manner — with a personal touch that many elected Republicans neglect.  He whipped up CPAC’s attendees with an optimistic message of individual empowerment, explaining that true compassion and dignity is rooted in independence from the constraints of government dependency.  Walker closed on a stirring note, ending his speech precisely on time to a raucous standing ovation.  All without notes.  Oh, and by the way, he told me earlier that he isn’t ruling out a presidential run.  If this guy keeps chugging in Wisconsin, how couldn’t he be on the A-list for 2016?

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Walker is for amnesty.

bluegill on March 16, 2013 at 11:07 AM

RINO heretic bashed within 1 minute of posting. Classic. At least watch the video, bro.

Guy Benson on March 16, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Walker is overshadowed by another 40-something Wisconsinite who really loves budgets. I think that Walker will be an A-lister in the discussion if Ryan decides not to run. It is similar Bush vs. Rubio down in Florida. Ryan has been giving off odd, contradictory signals about whether or not he wants to run.

Illinidiva on March 16, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Walker’s definitely A-List for 2016. And, no, Paul Ryan has neither the in-state or national juice to keep Walker from running. Walker’s a full spectrum conservative who could unify the party.

Robert_Paulson on March 16, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Heh. The two Romneybots weigh in on Scott Walker’s conservatism and find him wanting. Classic.

conservative pilgrim on March 16, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Robert_Paulson on March 16, 2013 at 11:25 AM

The former VP nominee definitely is going to figure higher on the list on potential nominees than Walker is. That is nothing about Walker’s merits; it has a lot to do with media chatter.

conservative pilgrim on March 16, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I like Walker. I was just making an observation about why he might not be an A-list candidate getting buzz right now.

Illinidiva on March 16, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Guy Benson on March 16, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Instead of whining about the peanut gallery, you should write better analysis.

Scott Walker is one the most effective conservative governors we have. What makes him great is that he is willing to make tough, non-pandering decisions such as taking on public unions. So, what do you choose to highlight as the most important bit in your post?

a throwaway line about low taxes. Is he pro-puppies and rainbows too?

sauldalinsky on March 16, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I set the broadcast name on my Wireless Router to “Scott Walker 2016″ to pi$$ off my liberal neighbors.

HopeHeFails on March 16, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Saul,

The peanut gallery is entitled to its say, of course…I just find the constant purity policing to be really tiresome. This post was not intended to be a lengthy analysis of Walker’s policies. (I’ve written a number of those). It’s about Walker’s savviness as a messenger…and encouraging people to listen to the message, pull quotes aside. By the way, that one-liner came at the end of his big closing crescendo; a powerful exclamation point on his larger message about pro-individual independence from government reliance.

Thanks for reading.

Guy Benson on March 16, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Guy Benson on March 16, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I’m a big Scott Walker fan too, which is why your pull quote annoyed me. It goes against Walker’s entire governing style and appeal…that he will make the tough choices for the good of his state. The anti-panderer. I’m sure lowering taxes is an applause line, but it’s a pandering easy applause line. What makes Walker’s small government message resonate with conservatives is not the lower taxes side, but that he’s willing to cut services on the other side. You’ve inverted Walker’s message, by highlighting the wrong part.

sauldalinsky on March 16, 2013 at 2:07 PM

As a stand alone, yes. But there was a whole speech leading up to that moment, and I thought it was a clever line, especially in light of his independence/dependence message. The full remarks are excellent.

Guy Benson on March 16, 2013 at 2:18 PM

We are so very, very fortunate to have a deep bench. Democrats can eat their hearts out.

alwaysfiredup on March 16, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Illinidiva on March 16, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Because with your math a failed veep candidate from the House is greater than a currently serving successful governor.

Got it.

roy_batty on March 16, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Scott Walker electrifies…..

Hell Freakin’ Yeah!

/rubio wets pants

roy_batty on March 16, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Not to be the wet blanket here…but as a Walker supporter, I am personally disappointed at his budget. We have so many more opportunities to “right-size” this state’s finances after years of “money grows on trees and the trees never die”. Now it looks like it was only a 2 year “holiday” and things will go back to “the good old days”. Coming elections seem to have strange effects on people on both sides of the political divide.

teejk on March 16, 2013 at 6:56 PM

teejk on March 16, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Thats vague.
I live in Wis. What are you referring to?

Mimzey on March 16, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Add to the mix the fact that he is qualified for office, having demonstrated the ability to manage a large enterprise.

Adjoran on March 17, 2013 at 5:56 AM

Mimzey on March 16, 2013 at 9:08 PM

His proposal to borrow $$$$ on transportation projects is particularly troubling to me. I suspect it is because he is coming up short on his jobs promise. And he is relaxing somewhat on the challenges he put out to municipalities/schools to right size their budgets. I don’t think 2 years is enough to get that message across especially after so many years of them getting whatever they wanted (we see stories everyday about waste and sloppiness). I would rather have seen him tightening the screws a little more. Make them really start checking the couch cushions for loose change.

teejk on March 17, 2013 at 8:53 AM

My preference is Walker as VP. In this day and age the President is, has become, needs to be a front man. Walker does not make a great front man.

Bmore on March 17, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I haven’t ruled it out, either.

Sherman1864 on March 17, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Walker is for amnesty.

bluegill on March 16, 2013 at 11:07 AM

…more than 36 hours later!…Shut-up!

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Walker is running for Veep for Jeb.

…..and sorry, he’s never going to be President.

PappyD61 on March 19, 2013 at 1:26 PM

alwaysfiredup on March 16, 2013 at 3:29 PM

A deep bench that folds after they destroy any gop competition in the primaries. Been there, done that.

The gop is dead.