Green Room

Getting back to normal at the Vatican

posted at 6:10 am on March 15, 2013 by

(VATICAN CITY) The Vatican is getting back to normal after a successful and surprisingly short papal conclave.  Not entirely, of course, not with the big international event of the upcoming installation Mass on Tuesday, where Pope Francis will ceremoniously succeed St. Peter as the Bishop of Rome.  The greatly-expanded media presence largely remains, thanks in part to that event and to a special audience that the media will be granted with the pontiff tomorrow morning.  Some have already left, but judging from attendance at the media center for yesterday’s briefing, not all that many.

During the past week, I have arrived early most days — around 7:30 to 8 am — in order to secure a hardwire connection to the Internet, although the efforts to boost the capacity of the wifi in the media center have made that much less necessary the last few days. Today I arrived at 7:45 — and found the doors closed.  I wandered back to the accreditation offices, which has another media center, to work from there.  That was also closed … until 9 am, when sensible Romans start their work day.  The message: Habemus Papam, dude … relax!

This unsensible American wandered around until he found a self-service cafe, had a cappucino and a cornetto, and relaxed just a bit while he worked. And I was still one of the few in the media center for nearly an hour after it did open, although two of the others were fellow Americans.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

According to a report on NBC on the show 30 Rock, “normal” at the Vatican had become corruption, flagrant homosexuality, money laundering through the Vatican Bank, etc. The report stated that Pope Benedict resigned because he thought these conditions were so pervasive that the only way to clean house was to resign and fire everyone involved.

I thought, watching this, that it seemed overwrought and inflammatory, and so I considered it biased, but it was nevertheless disturbing to hear, and I would hope the Church would answer these reports with a thorough and open investigation of the claims.

flataffect on March 15, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Impressed with 9AM.. That is early by Italian standards.

Illinidiva on March 15, 2013 at 11:06 AM

flataffect on March 15, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Read (and watch) Ed’s interviews posted in his other offerings of today. Lighten up, Francis. (And I mean that collegially.)

65droptop on March 15, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Oops. I meant Rock Center with Brian Williams. (blush)

flataffect on March 15, 2013 at 7:05 PM

According to a report on NBC on the show 30 Rock

Oops. I meant Rock Center with Brian Williams. (blush)

flataffect on March 15, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Good one! I’m need to remember to use that one the next time I talk to my MSNBC-watching friends.

JimLennon on March 15, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Top Pick

Biased Americans see media as biased.

Top Pick

Tough times down on the liberal ranch

Will Nancy Pelosi survive this latest Dem disaster?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 22, 2017 8:41 AM

Eat quick, before it’s gone.

Slow your roll, boss

“I’m bothered by the lack of emerging evidence…”

FIrst look at the Senate health bill

John Sexton Jun 21, 2017 9:21 PM

Divide and conquer?

You know, I may have cracked the case for you, guys

“They’re still running against her and still winning races.”

“…the suspect is from Quebec and has a Canadian passport.”

When the Left lost their way on immigration

Jazz Shaw Jun 21, 2017 2:41 PM

It wasn’t all that long ago, really

“I personally watched some of these students go up to Chief Brown, right up to her face, and call her all kinds of names, cursing at her.”

Did the Queen “nix” a Trump visit to London?

Jazz Shaw Jun 21, 2017 12:41 PM

More like wishful thinking on the American left

Sometimes it’s hard. This was the hardest part

Did the polls get the Handel/Ossoff race wrong?

Allahpundit Jun 21, 2017 11:21 AM

Nah.

Physician, heal thyself

Maybe we’ll stay home and watch.

Good lack of work if you can get it

GOP takes 2 more special House races, meaning what?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 21, 2017 8:41 AM

Two more demoralizing moral victories for Dems.

Not a murder, but nearly as awful

GA Election results thread Update: Handel wins!

John Sexton Jun 20, 2017 7:10 PM

Late night?

7 p.m. ET: The election to end all elections

Allahpundit Jun 20, 2017 7:01 PM

Endgame.

Dashcam footage: The shooting of Philando Castile

Allahpundit Jun 20, 2017 6:31 PM

“Sir, I have to tell you that I do have a firearm on me.”

“Military personnel had to neutralize an individual.”

Because that’s pretty much the same thing, you see

“Now is the time to be more visible.”

“If you’re frustrated by the lack of transparency in this process, I share your frustration.”

Uh oh.

“No matter how radical, offensive, biased, prejudiced, fascist the program is?”

No regrets

And it’s not just your imagination

“The hopeless fear Warmbier is now experiencing is my daily reality…”

Kicking him when he’s down.

Of pigeons and terrorists

Jazz Shaw Jun 20, 2017 12:01 PM

A terrorist by any other name…