Green Room

Breaking: Seconda fumata nera

posted at 6:49 am on March 13, 2013 by

(VATICAN CITY) Italian TV announced, “Seconda fumata nera,” or in other words … black smoke from the morning session of the second day.  That means no candidate has reached the necessary 77 votes to become the 267th Pope of the Roman Catholic Church, and we’ll look to the afternoon session to see if they find success.

At first, though, we were a bit confused, as we weren’t expecting black smoke for another hour or so.  We thought perhaps we were looking at white smoke from the first ballot (there are now two ballots in each session), which would have made some sense in regard to timing.  Instead, it appears that the cardinals got through both scrutini more quickly … and that may or may not have some sort of meaning.

Stay tuned!

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

***************** Alert ************************

BBC Breaking News ‏@BBCBreaking

#Blacksmoke: Papal conclave still undecided on new pope http://bbc.in/X62uJp

canopfor on March 13, 2013 at 6:43 AM

canopfor on March 13, 2013 at 6:53 AM

Results for #Blacksmoke

canopfor on March 13, 2013 at 6:49 AM

canopfor on March 13, 2013 at 6:53 AM

Video: Watch live: Sistine Chapel smoke cam

canopfor on March 13, 2013 at 6:07 AM

canopfor on March 13, 2013 at 6:55 AM

…and an American has been reported as on of the favorites!

KOOLAID2 on March 13, 2013 at 9:32 AM

…”one” of the favorites…Preview is my friend!

KOOLAID2 on March 13, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Apparently there is black smoke in the mideast which means they have chosen a new Master Imam.

Oh wait…never mind…it’s just another jihadi suicide bombing in a marketplace.

Bishop on March 13, 2013 at 9:48 AM

…and an American has been reported as on of the favorites!

KOOLAID2 on March 13, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I hope that the Cardinals aren’t leaking.

Illinidiva on March 13, 2013 at 10:00 AM

False alarm. Some of the cardinals were just smoking a blunt.

The Rogue Tomato on March 13, 2013 at 10:18 AM

remember: White Smoke = Pope; Black Smoke = Nope

Creston on March 13, 2013 at 10:42 AM

I don’t understand why this is a big freakin deal. Are Catholics somehow held in limbo untill a Pontiff is selected? Do they not get to take communion? do the Priests not hear confessions during this time?

What a hyped up schlamiel.

44Magnum on March 13, 2013 at 10:55 AM

What a hyped up schlamiel.

44Magnum on March 13, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Hee.. It just is a fun spectacle and a really ancient (as in Middle Ages) tradition.

Illinidiva on March 13, 2013 at 11:15 AM

…and an American has been reported as on of the favorites!
KOOLAID2 on March 13, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I’m very Catholic and I’m not hoping for one. Latin America better get a Pope or the heavily Catholicism there is going to begin to wane.

Marcus on March 13, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I have it on good authority that the frontrunner is from Antarctica…

Nethicus on March 13, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I don’t like the chimney.

Rusty Allen on March 13, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Why does the Vatican still use smoke to signal the results of the vote? Isnt that harmful to the environment, contributing to “Global Warming”, or something…. Oops, I mean “Climate Change”? Don’t they love Mother Earth???
/sarc

AverageJoe on March 13, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Forgive me, but the Latin always reminds me of the line from a routine (“Sister Mary Elephant”) on a Cheech & Chong album (Los Cochinos):

“Oh feely me boney belly, for bisco, Benny selly all his dominos.”

“Hey, who said that, man?”

BuckeyeSam on March 13, 2013 at 12:30 PM

It’s still morning here and they are already calling it a night? Here’s an idea: lock the doors, send in some pizzas and a couple of buckets and they can phone when they have reached the decision.

Blake on March 13, 2013 at 1:04 PM

What a hyped up schlamiel.

44Magnum on March 13, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I know! 44magnum either wants a Yiddish Pope, he is mixing metaphors, or he doesn’t know sheep shit from parched corn about religion or international politics.

Old Country Boy on March 13, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Old Country Boy on March 13, 2013 at 1:25 PM

LMAO!

SO, you got CNN’s direct chimney feed on your satellite dish right now I bet.

Look, I know being Pontiff-less is a big effin deal to Catholics, but to a non-denom like me, it don’t mean jac-shidt.

He is after all (no matter who the Cardinals select) just a guy, a fallible human. he’s not God, so why get all jammed up about it?

44Magnum on March 13, 2013 at 1:54 PM

schlamiel. Is Yiddish for an inept person. What does “What a hyped up schlamiel” mean? That was to what I was referring. You are also a boor and have no manners. I don’t care what you think about people with religions other than what you approve. Real men don’t insult other peoples’ religions. Too much trouble in this world and too many people have died because boors like you don’t know when to pass. You are also wrong about my religion – Catholic I am not, but I do respect the religion.

Old Country Boy on March 13, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I married into a Catholic family and they don’t follow half of what the Catholic church says, so by those standards which is fairly representative of the greater majority of Catholics world wide, I don’t find it too compelling to give this Pope selection hype much more than a passing whiff of attention. I also know what Schlamiel means, so spare me the lecture. The hype around this whole Papal selection process by the major media et al is just that. Inept and a waste of time by comparison to our more pressing issues concerning this country. Now, as to what religions I approve of or not, you are fabricating some indult by me in your response to me. I neither insulted Catholics or their religion. I never said you were Catholic either, so chalk one up for the reading for comprehension impared for you. Real men don’t fabricate things to be indignant about, so man up and get over it.

44Magnum on March 13, 2013 at 2:50 PM