Green Room

Mass for the election of the Roman pontiff

posted at 5:02 am on March 12, 2013 by

The start of the conclave is still more than six hours away, but the day will start with a special Mass for the faithful, at 10 am local time – right about now, in fact.  Two hours ago, when I first arrived, the line to enter St. Peter’s Basilica had already begun to stretch from one colonnade to the other:

election-mass-line

Looking at the monitors in the media center, the basilica is packed.  I had thought to attend the Mass in person, but the media center has it live, and they didn’t reserve any space for print journalists (a small number of photo and video journalists got into a special area).  To have any chance of getting in behind the cardinals, bishops, and nuns — including a significant number from Mother Theresa’s order, the Missionaries of Charity — I’d have had to arrive around 6 am.

We have today’s homily, but it’s under embargo at the moment.  Today’s readings are from the normal lectionary.  While I’m sorry not to be inside and participating in the Mass, it’s probably easier to observe it from here

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Video: Cardinals celebrate a mass at the Vatican before going into seclusion to select the next pope – via @AP

17 mins ago from http://www.youtube.com by editor

canopfor on March 12, 2013 at 7:56 AM

While I’m sorry not to be inside and participating in the Mass, it’s probably easier to observe it from here.

The homily must have been dynamite!

unclesmrgol on March 12, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Ed, It’s great to get your insights and observations as a devout Catholic who knows and cares about the Church and her processes. So much of the mainstream “news” seems to view the selection of the new pope as if it were some strange activity–curious and quaint. Thank you.

Kevin K. on March 12, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Shouldn’t they pick someone who’s leading an area where the Catholics live like Catholics?
I mean, in the US, only 38% of Catholic voters oppose the perverting of marriage to include homosexual couples.
In many places such as South America & the Philippines, Catholicism is mixed with animism or witchcraft among the masses.
Is there a place where most Catholics actually live by what Rome teaches?
BTW, I’m not a Catholic, so some would say I have no right to, shall we say, pontificate on these things. But I’m just trying to be logical. Please explain to me how this is errant, if it is.

itsnotaboutme on March 12, 2013 at 10:11 AM