Green Room

Heh: Mississippi passes an “anti-Bloomberg” bill

posted at 3:10 pm on March 12, 2013 by

You gotta’ love federalism.

On Monday, a state judge in Manhattan struck down New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s rule capping soda sizes. And lawmakers in Mississippi are taking the backlash against government regulation on food marketing one step further.

A bill now on the governor’s desk would bar counties and towns from enacting rules that require calorie counts to be posted, that cap portion sizes, or that keep toys out of kids’ meals. “The Anti-Bloomberg Bill” garnered wide bipartisan support in both chambers of the legislature in a state where one in three adults is obese, the highest rate in the nation.

The bill is expected to be signed by Gov. Phil Bryant, a Republican. ..

“If you look at how menus have changed, whether it be in fast food or family dining, you are seeing more and more healthy options,” Cashion says. “Not because of legislative mandates or regulatory mandates, but because of consumer demand. Our industry has always been one to respond to the marketplace.”

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I love liberty. :)

jawkneemusic on March 12, 2013 at 3:11 PM

in a state where one in three adults is obese, the highest rate in the nation.

What do these fat rednecks know about what’s good for them? How dare they defy their betters??

/lib

CurtZHP on March 12, 2013 at 3:14 PM

At first glance of the headline, I thought Mississippi was barring Bloomberg from ever setting foot in the Magnolia State.

Bitter Clinger on March 12, 2013 at 3:18 PM

I love the little toys. They are great to make kids shut up. And some of them are very good – hot wheels, solar powered toy motorcycle, ets.

Blake on March 12, 2013 at 3:22 PM

in a state where one in three adults is obese, the highest rate in the nation.

I doubt 32 oz sodas are the cause of obesity in Mississippi.

lea on March 12, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Biloxi or the Bronx?

Gulf Coast here I come!! Big Gulp in hand.

Bloomberg go F*UCK yourself.

Bubba Redneck on March 12, 2013 at 3:31 PM

in a state where one in three adults is obese, the highest rate in the nation.

Granted there are some hefty folks down on the Gulf Coast.
So what?
I’ve seen my share of fat a$$ New Yorkers as well. Bloomberg’s aSS isn’t the thinnest of loads, and take a good look at Christie (how can you not!).

Much more important to us red blooded American males: The pretty southern lasses far out number those in New York though, and they are orders of magnitude happier than those in New York on average.

Bubba Redneck on March 12, 2013 at 3:40 PM

As nice as this is to see some pushback to Nanny Bloomberg, this is a prime example of over-legislating. Now that you’ve said they can’t do these three things, what will you do when someone insists on something else nanny-like? Pass another law? And another? And another? This is where the French system of legalism creeps in.

GWB on March 12, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I was just looking through the demographics of Mississippi because I’m curious about what kind of senate race it would be if Thad Cochran would retire. Know what % of Mississippi is black?

39%

I was shocked.

dforston on March 12, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Thought they outlawed moneyed liberals from engaging in social engineering. Would have been better. If fat folks wanna be fat, that’s there business. Bloomberg looks like skeletor buggered kermit anyways.

abobo on March 12, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Biloxi or the Bronx?

Gulf Coast here I come!! Big Gulp in hand.

Bloomberg go F*UCK yourself.

Bubba Redneck on March 12, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Jersey boy by birth. Pennsylvanian by choice. And if I had to choose between Biloxi or the Bronx, I’d be heading south too. Sure, I’d stick out like a sore thumb.

CurtZHP on March 12, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Just for a moment, I though Mississippi had banned Bloomberg TV and print media.

You know, to educate the people about making good decisions.

BobMbx on March 12, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Well it’s one thing for conservative pundits and blogs to question your sanity for enacting nanny state measures based on nothing more than your own desires but, he has the liberals across the country solidly in his camp. That said, it’s an entirely different thing for a state to pass a law banning the practice you are trying to get established across the country and I would think quite an embarrassment. Maybe to will spur on some state to pass an anti-NY gun law measure.

Dr. Frank Enstine on March 12, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Sitting here in my office in NW MS, having had a lunch of 4 Krystal cheeseburgers (White Castles with mustard, instead of mayo, fries and and a Diet Coke), and being 30 lbs smaller then when I got hitched in July of 2009, I say to Nanny Bloomberg:

Southern man don’t need him around, anyhow.

kingsjester on March 12, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Southern man don’t need him around, anyhow.

kingsjester on March 12, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Hey, why don’t you have your people contact my people and set up a meeting…in your office. Let’s call it the “Krystal Summit”.

Even though I have no idea if my business and yours are related in any way, I think a meeting would be productive, at the least it’ll be satisfying.

BobMbx on March 12, 2013 at 4:36 PM

BobMbx on March 12, 2013 at 4:36 PM

LOL! I usually bring a Marie Callander eal for lunch. But, I was out and about, and I heard them calling me.

kingsjester on March 12, 2013 at 4:42 PM

I was hoping that ‘anti-Bloomberg’ meant that they’d arrest his pasty white butt and put him in the bridal suite with Bubba.

WestTexasBirdDog on March 12, 2013 at 4:57 PM

in a state where one in three adults is obese, the highest rate in the nation.

BMI is crap. My powerlifter husband is “obese” but has no body fat. Using pseudo- health benchmarks to push policy is…bad policy.

Hat Trick on March 12, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Awesome.

Freeeeeeeedom!

TXJenny on March 12, 2013 at 5:09 PM

rules that require calorie counts to be posted

I’m not so sure that is a good idea. The rest of it is an over-reach, but the calorie count is informational. I’m not saying that calorie counts necessarily should be law, I’m just not sure we should completely rule it out.

Count to 10 on March 12, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Good for Mississippi!! Stop the Nanny State!!

Khun Joe on March 12, 2013 at 9:12 PM

in a state where one in three adults is obese, the highest rate in the nation.

But people in Mississippi don’t pee on the sidewalk (or cop cars) like NY’ers.

Come to think of it, only women dress like women in Mississippi. New York is another story.

Kingfisher on March 12, 2013 at 9:13 PM

White Castles…
kingsjester on March 12, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Oh, I miss White Castles! Please come to Texas!

Kingfisher on March 12, 2013 at 9:16 PM

So the fatter get fatter, yay for Mississippi for sticking it too those meddling Yankees.

Pablo Honey on March 13, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Count to 10 on March 12, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Mickey D’s has been putting nutritional info on Big Mac wrappers for some years now. I don’t think sales of Big Macs has suffered too much

NoFanofLibs on March 13, 2013 at 10:34 AM

In other words, nobody is paying attention to the nutrition info anyway

NoFanofLibs on March 13, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Pablo Honey on March 13, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Not a big fan of freedom, huh? Predictable.

kingsjester on March 13, 2013 at 11:07 AM