Breaking: Black smoke
posted at 2:43 pm on March 12, 2013 by Ed Morrissey
(VATICAN CITY) To the disappointment of the rather significant crowd , black smoke just started pouring out of the chimney of the Sistine Chapel. That means no Pope has been elected, and the cardinals will move on to dinner.
All of this week, there had been concern about whether or not the smoke color would be distinctive. There wasn’t any issue with that tonight — the smoke was black, and it was prodigious. In fact, it almost seems as though the chapel itself is on fire. Whatever adjustments have been made to the smoke signals since 2005, they certainly have been effective at transmitting a no-decision vote.
We’ll be back tomorrow with more.
Recently in the Green Room:
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained
- RNC ad: Crying infant greets Obama’s new debt-laden budget
- Update: Grayson dismisses ‘erratic’ wife after abuse allegation