Green Room

Photo of the day: Preparations; Update: Latin lesson needed?

posted at 4:34 am on March 11, 2013 by

I took this as I walked into St. Peter’s Square at the Vatican.  Workers have already begun to prepare the balcony for the Habemus Papam and the presentation of the new Pope — whenever that might take place:

balcony

Incidentally, there are several monitors in the media center that show a view from a fixed camera on the right side of the far end of the piazza that shows a beautiful view of the square and the dramatic skies behind it.  Too bad I can’t really translate that with a picture of the monitor, but it would be postcard material.

Update: Oops! I misspelled “papam“.  I think I need a lesson in Latin:

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

…have a good day Ed!
Enjoy!

KOOLAID2 on March 11, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Papem? Papam.

rightside on March 11, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Love the Life of Brian clip. Having studied foreign languages, it’s one of my favorite scenes.

Odysseus on March 11, 2013 at 10:21 AM

You know Ed, posting a Life of Brian video from Vatican City is a sure way to get your press credentials revoked and get deported. I Remember the Vatican took a dim view of that movie when it came out. But, I won’t tell if you don’t. :)

simkeith on March 11, 2013 at 11:37 AM

A few years back, when Pope John Paul II visited Miami, I read about a guy who had printed t-shirts to sell that said “YO VI LA PAPA” in Spanish. This was supposed to translate as “I saw the Pope.”

However, “the Pope” in Spanish is “el papa”; “la papa” is Spanish for “the potato.” His t-shirts actually said “I saw the potato.”

J.S.K. on March 11, 2013 at 11:57 AM

His t-shirts actually said “I saw the potato.”

J.S.K. on March 11, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Too funny. Am I bad? I now want one of those potato shirts. LOL

Fallon on March 11, 2013 at 1:22 PM

One of the best clips from Life of Brian…

workingclass artist on March 11, 2013 at 2:19 PM

His t-shirts actually said “I saw the potato.”

J.S.K. on March 11, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Hahahahahaha! I bet you anything Pope JPII laughed his head off at it, too.

PatriotGal2257 on March 11, 2013 at 2:40 PM