Green Room

Photo of the day: Preparations; Update: Latin lesson needed?

posted at 4:34 am on March 11, 2013 by

I took this as I walked into St. Peter’s Square at the Vatican.  Workers have already begun to prepare the balcony for the Habemus Papam and the presentation of the new Pope — whenever that might take place:

balcony

Incidentally, there are several monitors in the media center that show a view from a fixed camera on the right side of the far end of the piazza that shows a beautiful view of the square and the dramatic skies behind it.  Too bad I can’t really translate that with a picture of the monitor, but it would be postcard material.

Update: Oops! I misspelled “papam“.  I think I need a lesson in Latin:

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

…have a good day Ed!
Enjoy!

KOOLAID2 on March 11, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Papem? Papam.

rightside on March 11, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Love the Life of Brian clip. Having studied foreign languages, it’s one of my favorite scenes.

Odysseus on March 11, 2013 at 10:21 AM

You know Ed, posting a Life of Brian video from Vatican City is a sure way to get your press credentials revoked and get deported. I Remember the Vatican took a dim view of that movie when it came out. But, I won’t tell if you don’t. 🙂

simkeith on March 11, 2013 at 11:37 AM

A few years back, when Pope John Paul II visited Miami, I read about a guy who had printed t-shirts to sell that said “YO VI LA PAPA” in Spanish. This was supposed to translate as “I saw the Pope.”

However, “the Pope” in Spanish is “el papa”; “la papa” is Spanish for “the potato.” His t-shirts actually said “I saw the potato.”

J.S.K. on March 11, 2013 at 11:57 AM

His t-shirts actually said “I saw the potato.”

J.S.K. on March 11, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Too funny. Am I bad? I now want one of those potato shirts. LOL

Fallon on March 11, 2013 at 1:22 PM

One of the best clips from Life of Brian…

workingclass artist on March 11, 2013 at 2:19 PM

His t-shirts actually said “I saw the potato.”

J.S.K. on March 11, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Hahahahahaha! I bet you anything Pope JPII laughed his head off at it, too.

PatriotGal2257 on March 11, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Top Pick

Rocking the boat majorly

Top Pick

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus

Biased Americans see media as biased.

Tough times down on the liberal ranch