Green Room

Man on the street interviews: What do you think of Obama pardoning the sequester and sending it to Portugal?

posted at 2:10 pm on March 11, 2013 by

Via NRO, Jimmy Kimmel continues to win big on his running bet that low-information voters will usually lie to avoid looking like low-information voters.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Anyone rethinking the meritocracy?

BigGator5 on March 11, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I’m stumped on this one.

Normally, I try to think how I would react to one of Kimmel’s questions. I can’t figure out whether I’d sputter and make a bunch of sounds before managing a “whaa…” (not even sure I’d manage the t) or just stare in wide-eyed disbelief that somebody with a microphone can ask such a nonsense question. Perhaps I’d stammer. I’m unsure.

I think I’d sputter on the “A sequester killed my mother.” I like to think that I would answer back “And zip-code+4 killed mine–along with Cap’n Crunch.”

Axeman on March 11, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Portugal…that’s in Oregon right?

Ted Torgerson on March 11, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I wonder if these people knew they were being asked the question for Jimmy Kimmel Live. There are probably a lot of people in Los Angeles who would be willing to give a stupid answer if it meant they could be on television.

If Jay Leno comes up to you with a camera crew and asks, “What’s the third planet from the Sun?”, and you answer “New Jersey,” you might well be on television that night. If you answer “Mars,” you may or may not get on television that night. But if you answer “Earth,” you are almost certainly not going to be on television tonight — and if it’s more important to you to be on television than to seem intelligent, you are better off saying “New Jersey.”

J.S.K. on March 11, 2013 at 2:31 PM

…and if it’s more important to you to be on television than to seem intelligent…

J.S.K. on March 11, 2013 at 2:31 PM

And this is key.

This explains most of it.

CurtZHP on March 11, 2013 at 2:36 PM

These man on the street segments are filmed in two places. Hollywood and manhattan. Nothing more need be said about low information voters.

Logus on March 11, 2013 at 2:45 PM

The sad thing is that these people vote, and listening to them they are all Obama supporters. #headdesk

simkeith on March 11, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Logus on March 11, 2013 at 2:45 PM

All the ammo you will ever need to win an argument over the merits of the Electoral College.

CycloneCDB on March 11, 2013 at 2:53 PM

At least the last responder was honest on why she voted for Obama.

Lance Murdock on March 11, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Urban (elitist * snicker) Obama voters

tom daschle concerned on March 11, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Logus on March 11, 2013 at 2:45 PM

In fairness, I’m sure they simply don’t use any responses where the person actually knows that they are talking about, because that would not be funny. One could go to any town, even the most conservative town in America, and find these low information people who have no clue about anything.

Monkeytoe on March 11, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Monkeytoe on March 11, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I’ll grant you that, but one does wonder if the ratio of low information voters skews more heavily urban to rural, liberal to conservative.

Logus on March 11, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Monkeytoe on March 11, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Well, yeah. Every village has its idiot. Places like NYC and Hollywood, though, have a lot of village’s idiots. It’s a good thing in some ways – those villages then had to promote someone else to the position of idiot – but not good in a critical mass sort of way.

GWB on March 11, 2013 at 3:48 PM

*villages’ idiots

GWB on March 11, 2013 at 3:49 PM

You have got to be kidding me.

“obama makes great decisions and that’s why I support him 100%”

Wrongo, genius. You support him because he blaaaaaaack.

Jesus freeakin’ Christ. I wonder if, when the african cheiftains were rounding up people to be sold into slavery, if one black dude said to another “Don’ worry, dawg. He blaick. He ain’ gon’ do us like dat”

In Swahili, of course.

Lanceman on March 11, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I give the last one points on honesty. Refreshing.

goflyers on March 11, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Of course if I voted for Romney because he was white, well, then I would be a raaaaaaaaaacist.

goflyers on March 11, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Yeah, Kimmel gave the liberal definition of the sequester.

“In order to get the Congress to work together, Obama created the sequester…and on the seventh day, he rested.

Vince on March 11, 2013 at 4:33 PM

GWB on March 11, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Having lived in New York and D.C., I can tell you there are a lot of rubes in those places who simply think living in New York or D.C. (or L.A., Chicago, Boston or S.F.) makes them smart, cultured and sophisticated about all the world’s issues. They’re the low-information voters who actually believe their zip code makes them high information voters. It’s much funnier to see the arrogant types spout off about something they’re clueless about, than watch people who obviously are focused on the TMZ world or other distractions mess up on bogus political questions.

jon1979 on March 11, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Monkeytoe on March 11, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Agree about your first point. But don’t you think that “rubes” would more likely respond “sequesta-what?!?” or “I don’t know nuthin’ ’bout no sequest-whatever!” as they have no appearances of sophistication to keep up.

Axeman on March 11, 2013 at 5:10 PM

jon1979 on March 11, 2013 at 4:47 PM

ernesto fits that bill quite nicely.

Lanceman on March 11, 2013 at 5:13 PM

so now according to one of these rubes, foreign nations have rights under our constitution? People suck.

Lost in Jersey on March 11, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Hey Jersey,
Is that the third planet from the sun?

Babs on March 11, 2013 at 6:16 PM