Green Room

Re: Sistine Chapel walk through

posted at 10:47 am on March 9, 2013 by

(VATICAN CITY) If you read my post from this morning, I mentioned that the Vatican had agreed to allow a relatively small number of news agencies to tour the Sistine Chapel before locking it up for the cardinals.  Ever since the Vatican began preparations for the conclave, they have been working in the Sistine Chapel and have kept it — and its priceless art adorning the walls and ceilings — off limits to tourists.  I also mentioned that I didn’t make the cut for the final media tours.

Did I mention that things change rapidly on location?

Stay tuned … on the front page.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I also mentioned that I didn’t make the cut for the final media tours.

Did I mention that things change rapidly on location?

Very nice. Prayers to you, Ed.

gryphon202 on March 9, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Since you’re the one who broke the story about when the conclave officially begins, you’re obviously a major journalist. QED.

The Monster on March 9, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Sistine Chapel is one of the most beautiful things I have ever had the pleasure of seeing. There is a reason they have guards at the door telling people to be quiet and move along. People’s first reaction is to look up, be stunned and and say “ooooooh”

melle1228 on March 9, 2013 at 12:18 PM

it’s one thing- their process for choosing their own pope however the vatican needs to seriously reconsider how they choose by whom their ‘priceless art’ is restored. michelangelo’s sistine chapel frescos have been inalterably ruined- a washed out , pastel, iris/eyeball -less nightmare instead of the masterpiece of christian art loved and admired by generations of artists and believers.

clearly, the holy spirit was moving no one with a rag, a brush, and some AB57 solvent…

mittens on March 9, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Did I mention that things change rapidly on location?

Stay tuned … on the front page.

Wow! How cool is that. I’m looking forward to seeing your pics, and I’ll show my two boys. They’ll dig it.

Weight of Glory on March 9, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I think we need a daily gelato report. Where and what flavors? Go ahead and indulge, Ed. 🙂

Blake on March 9, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Just a few years ago, my beloved husband (not raised Catholic) revealed that he thought it was “The Sixteenth Chapel”. Salute!

😆

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 9, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Blake on March 9, 2013 at 12:31 PM

2nd that

cmsinaz on March 9, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Sorry that you’re unable to tour the Chapel, it was probably the highlight of my trip to Rome.

One thing about gelato, even the street vendor stuff is GOOD. As to pizza, the Italians DID invent it but prior to that, it was Med area flatbread or somesuch.

Crust is going to be different in different parts of Italy. Never made it to Sicily, but I have to say about any of the food in general is that it gets better the farther north you go. One of the best meals of my life was in a hole in the wall in Florence.

GeeWhiz on March 9, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Was there last summer. They rushed us through so quickly you could barely look up for fear of tripping on the person in front of you. It was disappointing to say the least. And very hot. I envy Ed the opportunity to enjoy it in leisure.

ctmom on March 10, 2013 at 11:15 AM

…went on a tour 40 years ago…had a sore neck from studying the ceiling so much!…so much beauty…so much to see!

KOOLAID2 on March 10, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Just a reminder: People will die

Allahpundit Jun 28, 2017 10:41 PM
Top Pick

“Whipped cream’s killing more people than ever before.”

Top Pick

Medicare for all?

“There comes a point where you gotta get off the crazy train.”

Poll: Dem voters glumly sticking with Pelosi

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 8:41 PM

Disaster ahead?

“When she left it, it was in better shape than it had ever been.”

Manafort, firm registers as foreign agents

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 6:41 PM

Better late than never?

Delivered as promised

“I would like to think that the president saved many innocent men, women and children.”

“The Russia investigation was by far the dominant topic…”

The merry little media war continues.

Criminal enterprise

Politico: Has the SPLC lost its way?

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 3:01 PM

“The organization has always tried to find ways to milk money out of the public…”

Trump legal team backing away from Comey complaint?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 2:31 PM

De-escalation?

Time to get up and go to work, sir

CNN gets glum, defensive after resignations

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 1:01 PM

“If Jeff lit himself on fire, it wouldn’t appease the pro-Trump media.”

Hmmm: FBI probing Russia-based anti-virus firm?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 12:31 PM

“I wouldn’t put their stuff on my computer if you paid me.”

He works hard for the money…

It’s not a slippery slope. It’s a freaking avalanche.

Nuts.

Showdown: Sarah Palin vs the New York Times

Jazz Shaw Jun 28, 2017 9:21 AM

Defamation

Credit where creditor’s due?

More flash than bang, but a very bad sign

“Felix was out on bond after threatening another public servant and has a history of making threats.”

Chaffetz: House needs housing allowances?

Ed Morrissey Jun 27, 2017 8:41 PM

“There are dozens upon dozens of members living in their offices, and I don’t know how healthy that is long term.”

“This isn’t going to get a lot cheaper, it can’t, it won’t.”

“…what we failed to achieve with votes, we would do with weapons.”

“[S]o dumb it’s amazing we even have to have the conversation.”

“It was not necessary.”

“You’re inflaming everyone right here right now with those words!”

“Trump’s people said, ‘We’ll be writing the speech that the President’s Audio-Animatronic figure will be saying.'”

Excuses, excuses.

Not really a “kill all the lawyers” scenario

4 pm ET!

“it has not taken serious steps to end its own complicity in trafficking, including forced laborers from North Korea.”