Green Room

Re: Sistine Chapel walk through

posted at 10:47 am on March 9, 2013 by

(VATICAN CITY) If you read my post from this morning, I mentioned that the Vatican had agreed to allow a relatively small number of news agencies to tour the Sistine Chapel before locking it up for the cardinals.  Ever since the Vatican began preparations for the conclave, they have been working in the Sistine Chapel and have kept it — and its priceless art adorning the walls and ceilings — off limits to tourists.  I also mentioned that I didn’t make the cut for the final media tours.

Did I mention that things change rapidly on location?

Stay tuned … on the front page.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I also mentioned that I didn’t make the cut for the final media tours.

Did I mention that things change rapidly on location?

Very nice. Prayers to you, Ed.

gryphon202 on March 9, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Since you’re the one who broke the story about when the conclave officially begins, you’re obviously a major journalist. QED.

The Monster on March 9, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Sistine Chapel is one of the most beautiful things I have ever had the pleasure of seeing. There is a reason they have guards at the door telling people to be quiet and move along. People’s first reaction is to look up, be stunned and and say “ooooooh”

melle1228 on March 9, 2013 at 12:18 PM

it’s one thing- their process for choosing their own pope however the vatican needs to seriously reconsider how they choose by whom their ‘priceless art’ is restored. michelangelo’s sistine chapel frescos have been inalterably ruined- a washed out , pastel, iris/eyeball -less nightmare instead of the masterpiece of christian art loved and admired by generations of artists and believers.

clearly, the holy spirit was moving no one with a rag, a brush, and some AB57 solvent…

mittens on March 9, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Did I mention that things change rapidly on location?

Stay tuned … on the front page.

Wow! How cool is that. I’m looking forward to seeing your pics, and I’ll show my two boys. They’ll dig it.

Weight of Glory on March 9, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I think we need a daily gelato report. Where and what flavors? Go ahead and indulge, Ed. 🙂

Blake on March 9, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Just a few years ago, my beloved husband (not raised Catholic) revealed that he thought it was “The Sixteenth Chapel”. Salute!

😆

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 9, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Blake on March 9, 2013 at 12:31 PM

2nd that

cmsinaz on March 9, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Sorry that you’re unable to tour the Chapel, it was probably the highlight of my trip to Rome.

One thing about gelato, even the street vendor stuff is GOOD. As to pizza, the Italians DID invent it but prior to that, it was Med area flatbread or somesuch.

Crust is going to be different in different parts of Italy. Never made it to Sicily, but I have to say about any of the food in general is that it gets better the farther north you go. One of the best meals of my life was in a hole in the wall in Florence.

GeeWhiz on March 9, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Was there last summer. They rushed us through so quickly you could barely look up for fear of tripping on the person in front of you. It was disappointing to say the least. And very hot. I envy Ed the opportunity to enjoy it in leisure.

ctmom on March 10, 2013 at 11:15 AM

…went on a tour 40 years ago…had a sore neck from studying the ceiling so much!…so much beauty…so much to see!

KOOLAID2 on March 10, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Top Pick

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus

Biased Americans see media as biased.

Tough times down on the liberal ranch

Will Nancy Pelosi survive this latest Dem disaster?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 22, 2017 8:41 AM

Eat quick, before it’s gone.

Slow your roll, boss

“I’m bothered by the lack of emerging evidence…”

FIrst look at the Senate health bill

John Sexton Jun 21, 2017 9:21 PM